Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 6th July 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Do you want a second chance?

The question raised by the OP should have read 'Do you want a second chance [and turn your back on democracy]?

What's more important, a second chance (and why stop at two opportunities?) or the democratic process?

on flickr
Old 6th July 2016

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
The question raised by the OP should have read 'Do you want a second chance [and turn your back on democracy]?

What's more important, a second chance (and why stop at two opportunities?) or the democratic process?
To me, it seems that some of the Remain side feel cheated because of misinformation & I can understand their reaction but whether it is justifiable from a democratic point may be seen as something else, I guess.

Downunder, I feel the governing party has been cheated of some votes because of misinformation (call that "a blatant lie") from the opposition & some are angry about that & I think justifiably so. I don't think there is a call for a re-election thankfully (although the same liar is trying that line).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 6th July 2016

Liked 129 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
To me, it seems that some of the Remain side feel cheated because of misinformation & I can understand their reaction but whether it is justifiable from a democratic point may be seen as something else, I guess.
I've heard lots of people claiming they voted out, and they didn't mean it / didn't expect the issues all the experts where predicting....
This may or may not be the case, but as I see it the only way this petition has any value is if the number of signatures is significantly greater than the number who voted to leave.

I'd love a second chance, but I'm going to have to live with the majority choice. At least it has a chance of shaking up the EU so it works out better for those still in, or having enough others follow us out that it folds altogether & a better replacement starts in it's place.
Old 6th July 2016

The EU leaders only have themselves to blame. The EEC was ideal as a trading block, but no the power crazy wanted ever closer political and economic union heading towards a United States of Europe.

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (7th July 2016), Otto (6th July 2016)
Old 6th July 2016

Liked 936 Times in 593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I am fed up with remainers who think leavers didn't know what they were voting for.
The problem is that nobody knew what we were voting for. The consequences of Brexit were and still are unknown, and the future of the EU is also unknown. The referendum should never have been called as there was not enough information for the public to make an informed choice; a referendum is a very blunt instrument. I voted Remain based mostly on economic grounds but I was really undecided either way. I would rather such momentous decisions be taken by our elected representatives based on the advice of experts, not by the man or woman in the pub based on what they read in the popular press or whatever - and then changing their mind when they see the result.

I am also seriously unimpressed by the people that got us into this mess, Farage, Cameron, Johnson et al throwing in the towel and leaving it to others to sort out.
Naughty Nigel (7th July 2016), Petrochemist (6th July 2016), Ricoh (6th July 2016), Willom (10th July 2016)
Old 6th July 2016

Liked 1,588 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
The problem is that nobody knew what we were voting for. The consequences of Brexit were and still are unknown, and the future of the EU is also unknown. .

The "leavers" voted for what was on the voting paper. i.e. To Leave the EU simple as that.

They wanted control of our country back. A country where the electorate can elect and also remove their democratic representatives.

I agree - no one knew exactly what out would mean in detail thats the risk, but also no one knew what remain would have been like either. Apart from the fact that Remain would certainly mean more unaccountable EU.

My Flickr
Naughty Nigel (7th July 2016), Ulfric M Douglas (7th July 2016)
Old 6th July 2016

And with 5 candidate countries to join the EU with a combined population of 88 million, even greater pressures on immigration.
Albania 2.9m
Montenegro 0.6
Serbia 7.1m
Macedonia 2.0
Turkey 75.9m

Ok, we still might have to accept a number, but I hope it's not open house.

on flickr
Old 6th July 2016

Thanked 1,129 Times in 706 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

The EU just can't seem to stop itself. Land grabbing for access to ultra cheap labour which in turn may need to migrate to other EU countries for work that already have mass unemployment. If / when we do pull out, it will be interesting to see how deep some countries pockets really are.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (7th July 2016)
Old 6th July 2016

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
The referendum result has been described as a vote between the "Haves" and the "Have Nots" ok so the Have nots may have got their country back but by their voting they have condemned themselves and others to Never Having anything more.
It has been described as many things by those with opinions devoid of facts.

Harold
Naughty Nigel (7th July 2016)
Old 7th July 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
It has been described as many things by those with opinions devoid of facts.

Harold
Ah, that would be the Brexit campaign.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau