Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 31st January 2016

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts
Re: Having my portrait taken tomorrow - UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
The NHS is undoubtedly a fantastic organisation, but it has become a political footfall which has grown far beyond what it was originally set up to do and as such is a victim of its own success.

I have also seen NHS staff doing jobs that are completely unnecessary, and which they can get little fulfilment from. As an example, whenever I have attended our local hospital for a blood test the same lady takes my form, puts it in a box and gives me a raffle ticket for my place in the queue. That is all she ever does.

Some very valid points Nigel.

At least our local arrangements for blood tests are better. We now have a choice of having most standard test samples taken at the GP's surgery by appontment with their own phlebotomist or going to the local day hospital. There you collect your own raffle ticket from a dispenser (like the ones at the supermarket deli counter) ,wait for your number to come up on the screen and give your form to the phlebotomist taking the sample.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (31st January 2016)
Old 31st January 2016

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

After 6 months of NHS care, I can only praise the dedication of the staff and the treatment, and courtesy , I have received in that period and can fully appreciate the pressures they work under.
If it were not for their professionalism and knowledge, I would not be here to write this, so, I for one, can only praise the whole system.
It is a pity that the Health Minister cannot, and will not, experience a similar situation, it would open his eyes.
Wee man (31st January 2016), Zuiko (31st January 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (31st January 2016), PeterBirder (31st January 2016), ringneck (5th February 2016), Zuiko (31st January 2016)
Old 31st January 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

Quote:
The NHS is undoubtedly a fantastic organisation, but it has become a political footfall which has grown far beyond what it was originally set up to do and as such is a victim of its own success.

For as long as I can remember opposing political parties have competed with one another on promises of NHS spending; but this only seems to have resulted in monumental waste, bureaucracy and endless tiers of management, but not enough of the money spent where it really matters. This isn't helped by the 'spend it or lose it' budgeting system used throughout the public sector.

The introduction of targets and league tables in the NHS has done little to improve things; but then we already knew that from the education system.

I can only speak as a satisfied customer, but I certainly wouldn't say the NHS was understaffed. Indeed, my own experience is that there are plenty of staff, but there is little joined up thinking in how they are managed and engaged, or how they manage themselves.

As an example, in my own experience the nurse to patient ratio has always been more than adequate; but there is never any clear strategy when it comes to allocating those nurses to patients. This results in confusion and unacceptable delays in caring for some patients whilst others wish they could be left alone!

I have also seen NHS staff doing jobs that are completely unnecessary, and which they can get little fulfilment from. As an example, whenever I have attended our local hospital for a blood test the same lady takes my form, puts it in a box and gives me a raffle ticket for my place in the queue. That is all she ever does. Surely it would be in everybody's interests for NHS staff to be meaningfully employed rather than doing mind numbing jobs that could better be done by machine or self-service?

John's comments about the referral system are also extremely valid, as the whole process has become so grindingly slow and inefficient. Is it any wonder that so many people try to bypass this arcane (and frankly anal) system by turning up at A&E?

I can sort of see where the government coming from with regard to the NHS, but the government's approach seems to completely lose sight of the fact that NHS staff, like everybody else, value their weekends and family time, and also need time off.

Furthermore, I don't think the trades unions are necessarily helping in this matter. Just as with the education system the unions seem to constantly remind their members what a bad deal they have got, which can only be demotivating. (Many in the private sector receive far fewer rewards for their labours.)

Unfortunately the unions only seem to measure their success by the amount of money spent on the health service and staff numbers, which brings us round in a circle.
Many good points here, Nigel. Perhaps what we need most is a cross-party consensus on the management and development of the NHS, with broadly similar long-term policies that have included input from the unions. We should also start to concentrate on the positives (of which there are many) of the NHS rather than dwell too much on the negatives; there has to be a feel-good factor if we are to get the best from the staff.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Naughty Nigel (31st January 2016)
Old 31st January 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
John, I share your opinion of junior doctors and GPs but yes there are not enough of them. There was a report on the news this evening that the BMA are sounding alarms over the shortage of doctors.The Government's response is that they are funding X thousand new doctors but of course the length of time it takes to train a doctor is longer than than the "life" of a parliament so it won't happen soon.

I may be wrong but I think the process for making an appointment to see a consultant surgeon is, and needs to be more complex than ringing up the admin for the next available appointment. From memory (fading of course), when I had my previous hernia repair the GP was able to consult the local NHS IT system whilst I was with him and advise me of the available local hospitals for the procedure and their average waiting times so I could choose where to have it done. He then had to send my clinical details (which I believe is also done electronically) so that an initial assessment (triage ?) can be made to determine the clinical need and urgency and to allocate the case to an appropriate consultant surgeon available at the specified hospital. I believe it is important that the clinical information is transmitted in a direct, written and traceable form rather than a quick phone call to a "clerk" within a ten minute GP consultation. Actually from recent experience of trying to change an appointment if you ring the appointments department you usualy get an answer phone. Also of course consultant surgeons don't usually work in only one hospital. The chap who did my last op, which I had to wait some months for was based in Southend and spent one day a week at our local hospital for both consultations and operations, the anaesthetist similarly came from somewhere else. All these procedures take time but safety is an important factor in the process. It is frustrating but I can understand the need for it and accept that it is necessary for some people with more urgent or life threatening needs to be seen more speedily. With an ageing population and developments in medical science offering more opportunities to treat previously untreatable conditions it is difficult to see how things can be improved.

Sorry, this doesn't help your predicament but I think I can understand why you are in this situation.

Kind regards.
Yes, that does make sense, Peter and I can appreciate that actual surgery needs to be prioritised based on patients with the most urgent need. Perhaps it is not possible to speed up the booking process for initial consultations, but it does seem a long-winded and complicated system just to get a date.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
ringneck (5th February 2016)
Old 31st January 2016

Liked 335 Times in 85 Posts
Re: Having my portrait taken tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
The main thing is that progress is being made with my sore hip - much as I dread surgery (I'm a coward!) it's got to be better than the constant pain I have at the moment.
If you are offered a hip replacement then go for it John. I had a tin hip put in about 3 years ago and it has been literally a life changing event.
The surgery wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated (I had a spinal anaesthetic) and the relief of pain was immediate. I had been severely restricted (almost housebound), unable to sleep, and permanently bad tempered. 6 months after the operation I was able to walk up to 7 miles without pain, I was sleeping like a baby, and I now have the temperament of a saint.
Hip replacement is, in my book, one of the greatest advances in medicine of the past 50 years

Old 31st January 2016

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

A cousin of mine has had stem cells injected into the faulty area of his hip with the hope/intention/desire that the faulty damaged material will regrow.

It will take quite a while to get really well. I await reports of his progress eagerly.
Old 31st January 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
A cousin of mine has had stem cells injected into the faulty area of his hip with the hope/intention/desire that the faulty damaged material will regrow.

It will take quite a while to get really well. I await reports of his progress eagerly.
That's an interesting development.

Old 31st January 2016
Administrator

Re: Having my portrait taken tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graptolite View Post
If you are offered a hip replacement then go for it John. I had a tin hip put in about 3 years ago and it has been literally a life changing event.
The surgery wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated (I had a spinal anaesthetic) and the relief of pain was immediate. I had been severely restricted (almost housebound), unable to sleep, and permanently bad tempered. 6 months after the operation I was able to walk up to 7 miles without pain, I was sleeping like a baby, and I now have the temperament of a saint.
Hip replacement is, in my book, one of the greatest advances in medicine of the past 50 years

Yes, it made a huge difference to my father and now I seem to be walking (or limping) in his footsteps. Joints are a problem in my family, as well as the hip Dad had a knee replacement and my sister has had both knees done.

Despite my fear of operations I will have the replacement, assuming it is offered, because like you say I cannot get out much and I am not sleeping due to the pain. Also it appears that I am one of those people who do not get much benefit from Codeine. I just cannot go on like this indefinitely. I will, however, beg for a general rather than local anaesthetic.

Old 31st January 2016

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

John paracetamol is my pain relief. I am allergic to codeine, morphine etc so IV paracetamol is it. I dread the day when surgery arrives for my bowel problems!!

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 31st January 2016

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Many good points here, Nigel. Perhaps what we need most is a cross-party consensus on the management and development of the NHS, with broadly similar long-term policies that have included input from the unions. We should also start to concentrate on the positives (of which there are many) of the NHS rather than dwell too much on the negatives; there has to be a feel-good factor if we are to get the best from the staff.

I quite agree. The NHS has changed all of our lives for the better in one way or another, and there is much to celebrate.

In my view the NHS and education are so vitally important that they should both be cross-party matters, and not used for political point scoring. It would also help if the respective unions were to concentrate on the welfare of their members and the services they provide rather than concerning themselves with parliamentary regime change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Some very valid points Nigel.

At least our local arrangements for blood tests are better. We now have a choice of having most standard test samples taken at the GP's surgery by appontment with their own phlebotomist or going to the local day hospital. There you collect your own raffle ticket from a dispenser (like the ones at the supermarket deli counter) ,wait for your number to come up on the screen and give your form to the phlebotomist taking the sample.

I could give a blood sample at our local GP's surgery, but I have to book a week or so in advance which is not always convenient, especially for PSA tests, if you know what I mean.

However, our local hospital has a walk in blood sampling service where I can usually be seen to within ten minutes or so.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th February 2016

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Yes the NHS should be out of the political arena....and cross party/unions is the way to go BUT I'm sorry it will never happen as one certain party WILL declare it unmanageable and it will be split up and sold off and surprise surprise guess who will have fingers in all the various new firms running it.They have a history of doing this with all the old Gas ,Electric etc etc......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 5th February 2016

Liked 335 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post
....BUT I'm sorry it will never happen as one certain party WILL declare it unmanageable and it will be split up and sold off and surprise surprise guess who will have fingers in all the various new firms running it.They have a history of doing this with all the old Gas ,Electric etc etc......
Jeremy Hunt is on record as saying that the NHS should be privatised. Much of the current 'crisis' has the appearance of being deliberately manufactured in order to provide an excuse for the process of privatisation.
This is one time that I'm glad that the NHS in Scotland comes under the devolved powers of the Scottish Government - you can be sure that they will do the very opposite of whatever the current Westminster government does.
Old 6th February 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graptolite View Post
Jeremy Hunt is on record as saying that the NHS should be privatised. Much of the current 'crisis' has the appearance of being deliberately manufactured in order to provide an excuse for the process of privatisation.
This is one time that I'm glad that the NHS in Scotland comes under the devolved powers of the Scottish Government - you can be sure that they will do the very opposite of whatever the current Westminster government does.
You are so lucky to live in Scotland, for any number of reasons.

Graptolite (7th February 2016)
Old 6th February 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
...I could give a blood sample at our local GP's surgery, but I have to book a week or so in advance which is not always convenient, especially for PSA tests, if you know what I mean.
Lots of us have regular PSA tests, but I don't understand why you mentioned "convenience especially for PSA". I simply go to the GPs surgery and ask the receptionist to write the script; I tell her what to write on the form and normally get an appoltment within a week. My GP is happy for me to organise my own tests, I then phone up a few days later and check the figures. Two things I look out for are the absolute value and rate of change of PSA. Unless the rate of change is showing an increasing rate from previous tests, then a few weeks delay isn't going to be a life or death situation. But don't quote me or haunt me if I'm wrong!

on flickr