Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 2nd November 2015

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts
Re: EM1 focusing accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
In the meantime I hope to be able to borrow and test a Canon 400/5.6 qith metabones MFT-EF adapter with my EM1. I have read this setup provides a great AF accuracy (AF performance is not lightning fast, but very acceptable) and I have seen samples that look promising. These Canon lenses have a solid reputation and the second hand prices have dropped significantly as they lack IS and are not so popular any longer after the 100-200 II has been introduced, and the E-M1 IBIS would come in handy. Stay tuned...
Interesting.

If you're feeling flush it would also be fun to try one of these with the new Metabones EF to m4/3 speedbooster adapter!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 4th November 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I used my EF 400 f5.6 often on the E-M1, MF of course, and was always amazed by the detail I could get. There was a slight loss of contrast at full aperture but easily corrected in PP. With the arrival of the Metabones adapter it was a great temptation to go down this road but I still had the issue of the CAF so Canon won the toss eventually.

David
Old 4th November 2015

Liked 1,423 Times in 366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Interesting.

If you're feeling flush it would also be fun to try one of these with the new Metabones EF to m4/3 speedbooster adapter!
I am primarily looking for portable, hand-held AF setup that provides reach rather than speed and that would bridge the gap between the 50-200SWD (+EC14) and the 700mm scope. My 480mm scope does that today, the IQ is top notch but the setup form factor calls for support for relaxed operation (tripod or bean bag). But it would be fun to try with focal reducer, the issue is just this adaptor is not available to borrow.

My Gallery on 500px