Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th November 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
Re: Day After Day - Living With Parkinson's

Quote:
Originally Posted by skop View Post
I like this picture a lot. There is the downward, heavy slope of your shoulders but then your eyebrows are arched, pointing up and your eyes are looking up. Also the corners of the mouth are slightly up.

There is more "up" for me than "down."
But does it work for "depression?"

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th November 2013

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

The last word in the last post thus far, is, I can't help but say (blame the wine), does not alleviate my concerns for your well-being. So I'll insist your self portrait shows a lot of strength, and maybe a bit of something else, too... Post more portaits, maybe good for us and you too?
Old 30th November 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
The last word in the last post thus far, is, I can't help but say (blame the wine), does not alleviate my concerns for your well-being. So I'll insist your self portrait shows a lot of strength, and maybe a bit of something else, too... Post more portaits, maybe good for us and you too?
Thanks Stewart,

I can't escape the fact that I still have depresion, quietly simmering beneath the surface, but the difference is that it is now reasonably well controlled through medication and the fact that I now recognize it for what it is and understand what causes it, unlike when it first hit me and I almost went out of control. It will always be an important part of my Parkinson's story and thus I need to think how best to portray it, both in words and pictures.

It is the pictures that are causing me the most difficulty; I have just complete 12,000 words of text which I am in the process of self-publishing as a small paperback book. I will add a link to it here shortly, for those who are interested. For the long term I will persevere with taking photographs to illustrate the project, with the aim of combining them with the text in a larger, photo-book format in due course and will continue to update this thread with my progress from time to time.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th December 2014

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

As a newcomer to the site, I've only just looked at your thread, Zuiko. I know a young photographer who has MS; he isn't trying to document his experience as you are; he is working hard at his photography, making as much of a mark as he can, while he can. And here is a thought that you might like to consider.
Document the world round you [U]as you see it[U]; let it reflect your mood, your feelings at the time. If it gets blacker, let it show in your images. Your shaking hand(s): let the tremor show in your images, rather than photographing your hand. As your illness progresses, your moods will change, and what is important to you will change. You can probably show rather more by doing that, more poignantly, than trying to photograph what is actually happening to you through images e.g. of struggling with the couch.

I don't know if this helps; I certainly hope it does, and I admire you for doing this project.

I don't know if you have ever read "Storm of Steel" by Ernst Juenger; his story of his experiences in WW1; it could be all blood and mud, but it isn't. It has every emotion - humour, sadness, pathos, you name it. The sum of those emotions makes it a great book. It's all the emotions that you need to capture.

All the very best with your project.
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithL For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (12th February 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (16th December 2014), Jim Ford (16th December 2014), pault (16th December 2014), Zuiko (12th February 2015)
Old 12th February 2015
Administrator

I must admit that I have floundered with this project for some time, not knowing what form it might take or how it might eventually be used. I hope to eventually continue with the photographic theme, once I (hopefully) become more motivated again, but for the meantime I have just published a book of text, relating my experience so far of Parkinson's Disease.

For those who might be interested, the full preview can be read here: http://www.blurb.co.uk/books/6003966-killing-me-softly

Be sure to click the Full Screen icon (bottom right) to make it easier to read.

I have also transferred this thread to The Lounge, where I feel it is now more appropriate.

Old 12th February 2015
Floribunda

Hi John - I came across this article whilst reading today and thought of you.
It won't tell you anything you don't already know, but obviously others are finding solace in photography too. Lyn.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-3...graphy/6057174
Old 12th February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
Hi John - I came across this article whilst reading today and thought of you.
It won't tell you anything you don't already know, but obviously others are finding solace in photography too. Lyn.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-3...graphy/6057174
Thanks for linking that, Lyn, it's good to see a positive report like that and interesting to hear how a fellow sufferer overcomes his illness to continue taking photographs.

Old 12th February 2015

Liked 895 Times in 408 Posts

hi John

I have read half and will return to the other half later. It is a well written and powerful insight into your life. And deserves to be read through. I did have a quick peak at the last pages too... But I will go back..!

Hope it helps in some small way to know people are touched by your skills in communicating, visually and in prose about your life in a powerful and direct way. That is a gift.

Thank you for sharing.

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (12th February 2015)
Old 12th February 2015

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

Very interesting read John. I too will come back to it later.
Zuiko (13th February 2015)
Old 12th February 2015

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Publish the photos, if for no other reason than to encourage other suffers. Your set so far is well executed and stand up as photographs regardless of the circumstances.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
The Following Users Liked This Post:
alfbranch (17th February 2015), Zuiko (13th February 2015)
Old 12th February 2015

Liked 1,685 Times in 1,085 Posts

A couple of doors away from us is a Parkinson's sufferer, probably in his 60s. Whilst it's obviously frustrating for him in most activities, he sometimes gets some humour from a situation.

He goes to a support group, which is on a second floor. On one occasion at the end of a session, he and and a few other sufferers stood waiting for the lift. The lift arrived and the doors opened, but his group remained frozen into immobility and couldn't go through the door. The lift doors eventually closed and the lift went off without them!

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 12th February 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

John.
Thank you for publishing this powerful and well crafted text. A book like this deserves to be widely read to raise awareness of both Parkinson's disease and the problems experienced by people with many other disabilities and their carers. As you know I am increasingly becoming a full time carer for both my wife and daughter and your experience in dealing with the DWP and related bodies very much reflects our own experience. A text like this should be required reading for any prospective Secretary of State for Work and Pensions and those working in related fields.
I have no regrets becoming a carer, it's a possible eventuality I sincerely signed up for when I got married (for richer or poorer etc. etc.) and after forty three years I wouldn't have it any other way. However, approaching seventy this year and Sandra being five years younger than me, I increasingly worry about what will happen when I am no longer able or around to care.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 13th February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
John.
Thank you for publishing this powerful and well crafted text. A book like this deserves to be widely read to raise awareness of both Parkinson's disease and the problems experienced by people with many other disabilities and their carers. As you know I am increasingly becoming a full time carer for both my wife and daughter and your experience in dealing with the DWP and related bodies very much reflects our own experience. A text like this should be required reading for any prospective Secretary of State for Work and Pensions and those working in related fields.
I have no regrets becoming a carer, it's a possible eventuality I sincerely signed up for when I got married (for richer or poorer etc. etc.) and after forty three years I wouldn't have it any other way. However, approaching seventy this year and Sandra being five years younger than me, I increasingly worry about what will happen when I am no longer able or around to care.

Regards.
Thanks for the perspective from a carer's point of view, Peter. The Secretary for State amongst others may well receive a copy in the post, once I've had some printed (they are on order now).

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (13th February 2015)
Old 13th February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
A couple of doors away from us is a Parkinson's sufferer, probably in his 60s. Whilst it's obviously frustrating for him in most activities, he sometimes gets some humour from a situation.

He goes to a support group, which is on a second floor. On one occasion at the end of a session, he and and a few other sufferers stood waiting for the lift. The lift arrived and the doors opened, but his group remained frozen into immobility and couldn't go through the door. The lift doors eventually closed and the lift went off without them!

Jim
Humour is vital in such situations. Recently I lost my balance upon standing up and fell back into my chair. My daughter, who witnessed this, yelled, "TIMBER!"

The other thing to remember is that however debilitating your own symptoms are, there is always someone who is worse, and there are many, many people with even worse illnessess.

alfbranch (17th February 2015)
Old 13th February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by byegad View Post
Publish the photos, if for no other reason than to encourage other suffers. Your set so far is well executed and stand up as photographs regardless of the circumstances.
I need to resurrect the photos element of this project and add more examples. Then I might consider publishing them separately, if I am satisfied with the result.

alfbranch (17th February 2015)