Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 26th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Olympus Ignored By Media & Retailers?

No worries - I think I understand where you were coming from.

All good in da hood...

Mark

HAVE: E-620 | HLD-5 | ED14-42 | ED40-150 | ED70-300
CURIOUS ABOUT: Sigma 50-500 Or | EC-14 For 70-300
DREAM OF: E-5 | HLD-4 | ED7-14| ED14-35 | ED35-100 | ED90-250 | EC-14 | EC-20
Old 26th June 2011

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
On my week in Scotland I walked up to 5 hrs around the reserve and hills carrying my E5 with 300mm f2.8 and EC14 attached, plus my E30 with Leica 14-150mm in a camera case, plus 7-14mm and 50mm f2 in a rucksack with flask, fleece, lunch and a monopod, plus a pair of Leica 8x32 binos - and all in showery weather.

How old am I?

66!

If you love photography the burden of carrying top quality gear is not an issue.

Enjoyed a pint or three when I got back though!

David
HI David
Normally I dont have a problem with the weight of my gear. My backpack weighed just under 10kg one hand the E5 the other my monopod come walking stick. However after 5 hrs hiking through rice field terreces and jungle with the temp at 30 deg c and the humidity nearly 100% there was not a dry spot on me. Lucky the E5 is water resistant as it was dripping wet with sweet most of the time. Bali is a beautiful place but very hot, I did wish I had a smaller and lighter kit that day.
I cant remember how many but it was more than two beers at the days end.

John
Old 27th June 2011

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts

As a Olympus user of seven years standing my feeling is that they were never going to attract Canikon users from the outset. The E1 whilst a very good camera and beautifuly made does not deserve the mythical status some members here bestow on it. I just parted with mine as since I have had an E3 it just never came out of the bag in over eighteen months. 5mp. just aint going to cut it they thought, you can get a bridge camera with a higher count than that, what they probably dit not know was that this was achieved through interpolation (ill bet they did not know what that meant either) My second point is that the E1 from new was way way overpriced from the start as was the E3 and the present E5. So your average 35mm. user with a bag of lenses that he can still use on his new digital body, never mind the crop factor and the w/a lenses that vignette so badly you can only use the central portion of the image, was never going to make the switch. As for myself I have never for a moment regretted choosing Olympus, the SSWF being the clincher, never mind the superb lenses. I have just bought the 11-22 and will definitly get an E5 next year when our friends in Inverness have a mint s/h one. As for the media I stopped reading their comics years ago, they are only there to appease their advertisers. Regards, Ian W.
The Following User Says Thank You to IPWheatley For This Useful Post:
JohnF (27th June 2011)
Old 28th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My recent experience with a local retailer may go some way to explain why Olympus may not get the billing in stores that we would like to see.

In May I bought an XZ1 and shortly after decided that I wanted the VF2 electronic viewfinder. The shop that supplied the camera told me that some months previously they had chosen to be an elite retailer of Pens for Olympus. Now given their elite status and the fact that the VF2 is a current accessory it would seem that there shouldn't be a problem with Olympus being able to supply one of their prime retailers with this item. After 6 weeks, however, the shop has not yet been able to get hold of one.

As I say maybe this shines a small light on the question posed by this thread.
Old 29th June 2011

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Mark,

in response to your original post, I have some sympathy with your views. I find the E-5 too heavy and don't like the EP/EPL range of micro 4/3rds bodies that Olympus is currently pumping out from a size and handling perspective. I'm also concerned with the continued and changing stream of these models - makes me feel they don't know what there company "philosophy" is and that we consumers are essentially guinea pigs while they "get it right".

Fortunately I'm quite happy with the two kit lenses and 70-300mm on my 510 and plan to keep using that until something breaks at which time I'll re-evaluate the merits of staying with Olympus.

I would add that I'd considered moving to micro 4/3rd's and had bought a Panasonic GH-1 which I find to be a nice handling body; sadly the onboard software is not really up to the Olympus Venus engine when it comes to producing out of the camera .jpg's (in my opinion).

As for Canon/Nikon et al, from my experience I wouldn't discount them as fine camera's but there's nothing in their lens range for me that approaches the cost/value of the Olympus 70-300mm in that focal length range.

I'd switch back to Nikon if i had to but I'd certainly miss the 4/3rds picture format and that 70-300mm....

Sid

Last edited by son of sid; 29th June 2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: corrected spelling!!
Old 29th June 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Regarding Olympus versus Canikons:
I'll have some extra cash to spare (approx.1500 ) from January 2012 and is considering to invest this money on camera equipment.
Like so many others here I am concerned about the future of Olympus, I really enjoy my E-30 and HG/SHG lenses and find the EP-1 usefull. On the other hand I could use better High ISO quality and a decent 400 mm F 4.0 for bird and sport.
Currently I am considering the following options:

1. Bite the bullet and buy an E-5 and keep the E-30 as backup.
2. Sell my EP-1 to a friend who really likes it and buy an EP-3 with the VF-2
3. Join the dark side and buy a second hand Canon 5D or 7D with a kit lens and save up for a 400 mm lens. ( I am not that fond of Nikon)
It will NOT replace my Oly gear - just an attempt to get the best from 2 worlds.

Hopefully Olympus will make a E-5 light (E-50) before I make my decision, then I will not hesitate !
Old 29th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To give a little perspective on my choice of Olympus, my dad's film SLRs were all Nikon, and when he switched to digital, he got a D200. He's not a man to believe that only the top camera in a manufacturer's arsenal is the only one worth using as a pro - a rich gimp will struggle with the top model, while a talented pro will take great shots with even budget equipment.

He tried to tell me Nikon was the way to go when we were buying the E-410, partly as I would have had access to his pro lenses (mostly for portraits etc), and he would have liked a shot on the longer telephoto lens I wanted (and only getting round to actually getting now ). I think I did consider the D40/D40x, as well as the 350D at the time. But I liked what I read about the E-Series, and the Zuiko lenses in particular, and I liked the form factor of the bodies. And I guess I also liked the idea of not following the herd (iPhone? not me - I'll stick with my X10). This might not always be a good thing, as more often than not*, there's usually good reason for the herd to be doing what they're doing, and I could be missing out.

But I really like the E-410, and am excited to be getting an E-620, kit lenses & 70-300. I'm also getting a new backpack & sorting out a new strap set-up. Exciting times for me, and I'm very happy to be sticking with Olympus gear.

Mark

* Religion excepted, of course...

HAVE: E-620 | HLD-5 | ED14-42 | ED40-150 | ED70-300
CURIOUS ABOUT: Sigma 50-500 Or | EC-14 For 70-300
DREAM OF: E-5 | HLD-4 | ED7-14| ED14-35 | ED35-100 | ED90-250 | EC-14 | EC-20
Old 29th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
But I really like the E-410, and am excited to be getting an E-620, kit lenses & 70-300. I'm also getting a new backpack & sorting out a new strap set-up. Exciting times for me, and I'm very happy to be sticking with Olympus gear.
Have a look at my new backpack here: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...933#post123933

As I've said elsewhere coming back to Olympus after a 25 year break from 'proper' photography, when previously I used my old OM2n, was a no brainer.

As all the second hand kit I have sourced over the last ten weeks has cost me not one penny to date, with some frugal buying and a little 'trading' on, I can sleep soundly in the knowledge that whatever Olympus do I have some great kit which will serve me well for the forseeable future. In fact as we speak I'm actually 86 up!

Do your research, keep your eye on all the trading sources, and buy (or sell!) wisely at the right price. Then there's nothing to lose!

--------------------------
Old 30th June 2011

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,374 Times in 1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
...... Young Peeps are coping better with the fast moving changes in life, they are indeed the CONSUMER SOCIETY, buy the latest and best and bin or eBay the old! [/COLOR]But the Elders are not keen to "give up what was once good and the best" and that is seen very clearly by "diehard Olympus Users" and we are, I feel, being left behind ... BUT then I am happy being a Diehard Oly ! I could afford to change to Canon, but I would feel so disloyal to myself ... so its Oly for me, forever!
I agree with most of your insights Chevvy with the exception of your last para. I don't see Oly as having been left behind but at the very forefront of imaging technology. Oly innovates and the plagiarists imitate and claim it was theirs. They must be terrified of a new generation of togers who might just wake up to telecentricity, in-camera-body IS, superior colour and more. It is undeniable though that in the marketing and astroturfing game Canikon are way out of sight of Oly. I can't but wonder how much payola news cameramen and editors receive to include shots of those obscene white lenses (clever marketing) so often seen in their coverage. It seems that with m4/3 Oly might just have the jump on the opposition and it is in this ingeniously miniaturised format that I see the gravest threat to their arrogance.

Edit: As for you young baby-boomers on this forum I will have you all know that at 75 I am your venerable senior whose authority and wisdom must be respected ! ! !

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 30th June 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post

Edit: As for you young baby-boomers on this forum I will have you all know that at 75 I am your venerable senior whose authority and wisdom must be respected ! ! !
75 eh, that must mean you were a convict.

Looks like Olympus has just given the media another chance to prove its mettle with the new Pen cameras/lenses. Lets see how they react..

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 30th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
75 eh, that must mean you were a convict.
Nick
Well transportation from England to Australia ended in 1840 and some may consider us convicts the lucky ones, Nick.

Old 30th June 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
I agree with most of your insights Chevvy with the exception of your last para. I don't see Oly as having been left behind but at the very forefront of imaging technology. Oly innovates and the plagiarists imitate and claim it was theirs. They must be terrified of a new generation of togers who might just wake up to telecentricity, in-camera-body IS, superior colour and more. It is undeniable though that in the marketing and astroturfing game Canikon are way out of sight of Oly. I can't but wonder how much payola news cameramen and editors receive to include shots of those obscene white lenses (clever marketing) so often seen in their coverage. It seems that with m4/3 Oly might just have the jump on the opposition and it is in this ingeniously miniaturised format that I see the gravest threat to their arrogance.

Oh Mark ! I have a grave error - my last para should have "IF" -

"Young Peeps are coping better with the fast moving changes in life, they are indeed the CONSUMER SOCIETY, buy the latest and best and bin or eBay the old! But the Elders are not keen to "give up what was once good and the best" and that is seen very clearly by "diehard Olympus Users" and IF we are, I feel, being left behind ... BUT then I am happy being a Diehard Oly ! I could afford to change to Canon, but I would feel so disloyal to myself ... so its Oly for me, forever!

I personally believe I can never improve on the IQ of the E-5 and my Zuiko 50 macro 14-54 & 50-200 & 7-300 and Sigma macro 150 & 50-500 - I truly LURVE my E-5 My E-5 and the help & advice on here has improved my photos 10 fold in the last 6 weeks ! thats what a fellow tog said to me

[I].
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 30th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
I personally believe I can never improve on the IQ of the E-5 and my Zuiko 50 macro 14-54 & 50-200 & 7-300 and Sigma macro 150 & 50-500 - I truly LURVE my E-5 My E-5 and the help & advice on here has improved my photos 10 fold in the last 6 weeks ! thats what a fellow tog said to me
Chevvy - it is probably a non sequitur, but I am sure that there's a correlation between the quality and quantity of pictures we take and the amount of gear we own. In having just bought an E-PL1, I suddenly find myself more focused on cameras than photography - which is ridiculous.

"The finest furniture is made with the simplest tools."

Old 30th June 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Chevvy - it is probably a non sequitur, but I am sure that there's a correlation between the quality and quantity of pictures we take and the amount of gear we own. In having just bought an E-PL1, I suddenly find myself more focused on cameras than photography - which is ridiculous.

"The finest furniture is made with the simplest tools."
Mark, Congratulations on your new camera I thought aboput buy E-PL1 BUT ended up with Tough-810 as its underwater and small for the hols snorkelling (BUT never took a single shot with it underwater and I decided E-5 is enough big camera and that if I bought E-PL1 as well, when would I use it all

I do not want to get too "camera focused" as I have got took Techi focused with other hobbies, and then I spend time worrying that I am doing ? it all right and the joy and spontaneous FUN has gone out of it (golf Skiing horses in Showjumping Team Chasing: Eventing: finally Dressage then my knees gave out ! With Motorbikes I wanted a Ducati Monster and its like a bucking Polo pony to ride ! YEAH love it ... but my Ducati SPS 748 was hard work to ride and I got that pain in the back of my neck, which made me GRUMPY so I sold that one ... Now its the Monster and Olympus !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 30th June 2011

Liked 2,403 Times in 1,583 Posts

The problem, very simply, is that Olympus does not currently spend enough on advertising to have clout in the editorial departments of photographic magazines. The same could be said of many other well respected [but niche] brands including Hassleblad, Mamiya, Leica, Lee and many others.

There was a time when the editorial departments of British magazines were fiercely independent of their advertising departments (not so in US magazines); but this is no longer the case. And at a time when advertising revenues are shrinking, magazine editors are having to work hard to satisfy advertisers. In other words, if Brand Big is going to spend 100,000 to advertise on an outside back cover of a fw editions, they will want much more for their money than the outside back cover (if that makes sense)?

To illustrate this, recent articles in AP magazine on the resurgence of film cameras seemed to suggest that only Canon and Nikon cameras were around in the days of film. Olympus, whose OM3 and OM4 cameras had [arguably] the best metering system known to man were completely ignored, as was Pentax, Minolta, Mamiya, Bronica and many others. Why? Presumably this was either because of pressure from advertisers, or the editorial team were simply ignorant of brands other than Canikon.

The question is; 'am I bothered?' Frankly no. Some here will know that I had a few days of doubt before investing in my E5, but I am very pleased with the camera, and have no regrets at all. I have also got my Ring Flash fixed under warranty (thank you Olympus), so I now have an excellent and fully functional camera system which will probably work for longer than I will.

Coming back to the OP's point, the only difference between so called 'successful' and 'unsuccessful' brands these days is the marketing. Take Mercedes and BMW for instance, which are widely seen as synonymous with wealth, success and successful people. Indeed, look at any second rate scratch card that falls out of the TV Times and you will see the image of a BMW staring at you, signifying money and success. Mercedes and BMW are actually no different to any other brand. They all share parts with one another, and the German brands are certainly no more reliable, but people like to be seen driving them becuase they like others to think they are better off than they really are, because that is how they are marketed. Likewise Canon and Nikon.

This all comes about owing to an effect known as 'Proletarian Drift', where people like to buy objects because of their association with wealth and success, not because of their functionality. However, with time these objects become so commonplace that they are actually far more common than the objects that they are supposed to be less common than! As an example, there are more 3 Series BMW cars on the road than there are Ford Mondeos or Vauxhall Vectras. Mobile phones are yet another example.

So, I am actually proud to have chosen a camera system which is not the choice of the common herd, in exactly the same way that I am proud to drive a British built car that doesn't appear on Scratch Cards (although I'm told the gearbox is actually the same as a 7 Series). I don't really care what people think of my choice in cars or cameras, but at least I can provide a cogent explanation for my buying decisions, rather than having to admit that I bought something because everyone else in the street has one and I wanted one too, or because the outside back cover of a magazine made something look irresistible.

NN

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing