Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 18th July 2009

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Where's my biscuit?

The first picture I've posted so please be gentle!

This is a crop from a picture taken through the lounge window, hand held with my 70-300 at full extension. The robin was about 18ft away in the tree.
1/200, f5.6 iso 200 auto w/b - and I don't yet do pp other than cropping.

P6294721d.jpg

I would be very interested to know if that is the sort of image quality I can expect from this lens - other shots I see in the forum seem much cleaner and sharper - or is it also down to me needing stronger glasses and using manual focus in live view more!

I wait with trepidation, Kevin
Old 18th July 2009
Kiwi Paul

Re: Where's my biscuit?

Nice shot, well captured however it seems you have a bit of motion blur caused by the bird moving (the little critters bob about all the time), I have found it's better to use a higher ISO to get a higher shutter speed and put up with the higher noise and loss of sharpness / detail thats associated with higher ISO's. You can always reduce noise in post processing but motion blur is unrecoverable. If you had used 1600 ISO then the shutter speed would have been 1/1500ish fast enough to freeze the bird, even 800ISO with about 1/750sec would have probably been enough.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 18th July 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Yes, this is a pleasing portrait. However, the movement of the trees in the background indicates that you are suffering from camera shake. Remember, that this focal length is the 35mm equivalent of a 600mm lens, so even with image stabilisation you are asking a lot of it to keep steady at 1/200th.
As Paul says, don't be afraid to up the ISO, especially in good light such as this where noise won't be as noticable, and try to shoot with this lens at 1/500th or shorter. If you are shooting a specific object, such as a bird or animal, cnsider what you want in focus and set an aperture accordingly. You don't need the background in focus, just the bird, so you can get away with a shorter depth of field and consequently a larger aperture.
I always found it difficult to get decent results from my 70-300, but it was mainly the fault of the photographer, not the lens!
By the way, I wouldn't advocate live view in such situations. Just too slow to focus and expose.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 18th July 2009
gno

Hi Kevin,

Nice shot and there's plenty of space to crop out the out of focus branch in the foregound to leave a much better image, slight sharpening PP and adjusting contrast makes it quite a nice shot.

Regards

Gavin
Old 18th July 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's a similar shot as you described - through window around 18ft (though not a Robin) Hope this helps.

E-520 | Zuiko 70-300mm | F10 | ISO 200 | Focal length 263mm

Old 18th July 2009

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

I am new to the E system as well and struggled early on with the 70-300 so I am reticent about offering advice. I was paranoid about using ISO >100 but have found that in good light this is completely unjustified. But handheld keeping the shutter speed high is essential even with IS.

This image was taken with E-520 focal length 300mm ISO 400 1/1250 f11

Hope this helps.

Flickr
Old 18th July 2009
Kiwi Paul

Her's a Heron I captured at the local loch at ISO2500 shot in RAW and processed in lightroom.

E3 50-200SWD +EC20 @400mm 1/250 f7 ISO2500

Paul

Old 18th July 2009

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. This is better than going to evening classes, which I am currently considering in the autumn.
A lot to learn and put into practice tho - I'll try and do better next time!!
Kevin