Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-420

Old 27th May 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post E-420 - Very positive review in Digital Camera Magazine July 2008

The July edition of Digital Camera Magazine dropped through the letter box this morning. I am am really pleased to report that the 2 page review of the E-420 was very positive indeed scoring it at 90%. Here are a couple of quotes from the review just to give you an idea:

"In terms of value, usability and sheer fun, the E-420 is hard to beat as an entry level DSLR, but when it comes to performance we were impressed by the colours and the accuracy of both the auto white balance and the metering."

"The Verdict - The E-420 can't compte with Nikon or Canon at the very high end ISO sprctrum, but most of us choose to shoot at low ISOs whenever possible. Image stablilisation is another ommision, if you can live with those two shortcomings, then the E-420 is the perfect travel DSLR."

THe E-420 is given the Editors Choice award, all of which is very encouraging indeed. With positve reviews like this, the E-420 should attract new Olympus owners.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by CaptainD; 27th May 2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 27th May 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: E-420 - Very positive review in Digital Camera Magazine July 2008

I used the E400 for a while and found it very, very likeable.
I'd consider an E420 as a carry about camera.
Old 31st May 2008
250swb

The E420 is a very good camera, and I have been using one with a 25mm pancake lens for a couple of weeks now as a 'second' camera to my E3.

The operation, colours, metering, etc etc are another level on from the E410/E510, and the Live view is in many ways another level on from the E3! I still can't quite believe that using a 'Y' strap I can carry a DSLR with the strap across my body and the body and lens combo go into a jacket pocket if needed, with a kit 14-42mm in the other pocket! In winter it could be used inside a Barbour like coat, with the camera going into the 'poaching pocket' inside. Olympus should move on another step, go all out for a really tiny body, get rid of the flash, strip everything down that caters for P&S upgraders and all of a sudden the other manufacturers will realise just what 4/3rds can offer.

Steve
Old 1st June 2008

Liked 860 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
The E420 is a very good camera, and I have been using one with a 25mm pancake lens for a couple of weeks now as a 'second' camera to my E3.

The operation, colours, metering, etc etc are another level on from the E410/E510, and the Live view is in many ways another level on from the E3! I still can't quite believe that using a 'Y' strap I can carry a DSLR with the strap across my body and the body and lens combo go into a jacket pocket if needed, with a kit 14-42mm in the other pocket! In winter it could be used inside a Barbour like coat, with the camera going into the 'poaching pocket' inside. Olympus should move on another step, go all out for a really tiny body, get rid of the flash, strip everything down that caters for P&S upgraders and all of a sudden the other manufacturers will realise just what 4/3rds can offer.

Steve
Fantastic idea Steve.

Regards. Barr1e