Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selling on the forum debate

This debate stems from a recent "For Sale" thread. I have copied the relevant posts from that thread and this is where the debate starts:-

Apologies, I cannot find a way to replace CaptainD as the Thread Starter.

John (Zuiko)

Last edited by Zuiko; 7th June 2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 6th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ZD35-100mm SHG lens

PM Sent.
@+Pat
Old 7th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Again appears to have been sold to someone else, yet I sent a PM 20 minutes after the announcement?
@+Pat
Old 7th June 2011

Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts

The rules really should be all dealing is done in the thread until the point the item is sold, then the seller/buyer can go to PM/email to conclude the sale..... the forum 'For Sale' section has never sat very easily with me, as there appears to be no rules or transparency.

There should also be a minimum number of posts required to use it. A lot of people with single figure posts simply use the forum as a Gumtree substitute.... some contribution should be required before reaching the point of being able to sell kit....

Just my 2p worth, although I may be talking nonsense...
Old 7th June 2011
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
The rules really should be all dealing is done in the thread until the point the item is sold, then the seller/buyer can go to PM/email to conclude the sale..... the forum 'For Sale' section has never sat very easily with me, as there appears to be no rules or transparency.

There should also be a minimum number of posts required to use it. A lot of people with single figure posts simply use the forum as a Gumtree substitute.... some contribution should be required before reaching the point of being able to sell kit....

Just my 2p worth, although I may be talking nonsense...
I prefer all negotiations to be done behind the scenes as long as the seller states the items has been sold soon as it is.

The debate about sellers having a minimum number of posts has been discussed before. While I can see your point regarding a minimum post requirement to prevent the forum becoming a buying and selling market place I have picked up a few items from first time or low count posters so don't really see it as been an issue. Of course it's buyer beware as first time or low count posters haven't built up any reputation on the forum.

Paul
Old 7th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't see why there should be any particular rule for selling here which wouldn't apply to the rest of the world. At the end of the day, a seller is free to sell to whoever he or she wants to if one buyer makes it easier to sell (location, cash against collection...) or offers more guarantee because you know the person. There is no divine right to buy because you replied first or second.

As for limiting access to the buy/sell section, I don't see the point. Say you ask a new member to reach 10 posts before he or she can visualise that forum section. How long do you think it would take for somebody to go to the Foto Fair section and reply 10 times "well done", "great pictures", "lovely shot"... thereby defeating the purpose of the restrcition? I'd rather read "well done" from someone who thinks it than from someone who needs a quota of replies.

And if people use this forum to sell their Oly gear as opposed to eBay, Loot or any other service, at the end of the day, what's wrong with that? As long as it's Oly gear or photo accessories to go with Oly gear, then fine by me. Plus, a vibrant buy/sell section is also the sign of a vibrant forum. If you come to check the ads, you may as well check the new posts. And for those who come once to sell and disappear, the rule we have at another forum where I'm a moderator is simply to delete members who have not accessed the forum for over a year, but for regular visitors it makes no difference whether X has or hasn't been posting atfer placing an ad.

Like Paul, my concern is more to do with organising the buy/sell forum so you know a particular item is no longer available. And for that, the new prefixes should help, so long as sellers remember to make use of it or ask Ian to change the status when you can no longer edit the original post.
Old 7th June 2011

...because this is first and foremost a forum, something that requires user participation to keep it alive. Yes, there should be minimum number of posts before you have the privilege of selling your kit on here, not just signing up for the sole purpose of selling it, and having no participation in the actual forum whatsoever. Ten posts before being able to trade is pointless, something more like 100 would be better, and not just 'nice shot' posts either....
Old 7th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With respect to CaptainD - this is a conversation that should be conducted elsewhere.

THIS thread is a private sale that does not contravene any forum rules. DekHog - if you feel this strongly, might I suggest you start a NEW THREAD to discuss.

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said
Old 7th June 2011

I'm not having a go at anyone, and since the lens appears to be sold there should hardly be a problem with anyone voicing opinions in this thread.... after all, there appears to be no rules in the classifieds anyway....
Old 7th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
I'm not having a go at anyone, and since the lens appears to be sold there should hardly be a problem with anyone voicing opinions in this thread.... after all, there appears to be no rules in the classifieds anyway....
I'm not having a go either but I can think of 2 good reasons to start a new thread -

1/ It's polite "netiquette" not to hijack someone else's thread, even if it's a redundant one

and (far more importantly)

2/ A new thread, with a sensible title, would encourage a forum wide discussion, not just comments from those who happen to stumble on this conversation (a conversation that's worth having, I will add).

(Latest Work)

Old 7th June 2011

OK, point taken - I knew I should have got out the other side of bed this morning....
Old 7th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hehehe....

(Latest Work)

Old 7th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

This is an issue that many people will have an opinion on and deserves the opportunity for wider debate. I have therefore copied this thread into the Lounge section and renamed it, and closed the previous thread in the "For Sale" section

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th June 2011
Kiwi Paul

I think it is not an issue on this forum yet as there are not that many new or low count posters selling stuff here, however if it started to become prolific then maybe it would need to be addressed.
Remember a new member may be selling something YOU want for a good price so it can be a win win situation.

But I think it good practice to advise when the item has been sold but I don't think the negotiations need to be made public and can be done via PM if desired.

Paul
Old 7th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
I think it is not an issue on this forum yet as there are not that many new or low count posters selling stuff here, however if it started to become prolific then maybe it would need to be addressed.
Remember a new member may be selling something YOU want for a good price so it can be a win win situation.

But I think it good practice to advise when the item has been sold but I don't think the negotiations need to be made public and can be done via PM if desired.

Paul
Thanks for that, Paul. I will contribute to the debate later, I have to go out now.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau