Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 19th October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

It's handy Brian to have such a good warranty, I am just nervous of losing that perfect image right at the moment due to a lockup. I hope it is a rare issue and that because most posting on here are keen photographers and being "experimental" which might have contributed to the hardware or software conflicts unforseen at Olympus. It might take other users longer to find out more about the lockup.
Old 19th October 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
It's handy Brian to have such a good warranty, I am just nervous of losing that perfect image right at the moment due to a lockup. I hope it is a rare issue and that because most posting on here are keen photographers and being "experimental" which might have contributed to the hardware or software conflicts unforseen at Olympus. It might take other users longer to find out more about the lockup.
Well, I can't remember ever firing off loads of sequential shots like these guys are doing. I tend to single shot except for HDR sets when I might bracket 5 shots. I'm not expecting many issues. I'll certainly let you know if I do find any!
The Following User Says Thank You to bilbo For This Useful Post:
jamsa (19th October 2013)
The Following User Liked This Post:
jamsa (19th October 2013)
Old 19th October 2013

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

In case a bit more experience will help:

1. I had a few total lockups recently that were almost certainly caused by my adapted OM Zuiko 50mm f2 macro having tarnished connectors. I had these happen on two different M5 bodies (one being the Group's hire body) but all now seems to have been cured after buffing the lens' and adapter's pins lightly for a while with a soft cloth. These needed 'battery out' resets.

2. Since getting the M1 I've had a couple of 'blank screens' (not caused by me accidentally pressing LiveView) that apparently responded to my checking the seating of the 40-150mm in the bayonet. The screen magically switched itself back on as I tweaked the lens. I've never had this with the M5, but the 40-150 does have a plastic bayonet, of course, and although this doesn't look particularly worn and the electrical contacts look bright I am keeping an eye on it. No other M1 problems at all, and I've done quite a bit of shooting trying out both the 40-150 and 100-300 with CA and CA-TR and IBIS, including at fast frame rates. I use class 10 cards.

3. After I first got the M5 last year I used it on a hiking trip in the southern Californian desert and I got a couple of total lockups that I associated at the time with the body getting very hot in the sun. These were with the 12-35 f2.8 fitted as I recall. Battery-out resets were needed. I subsequently used it in the Caribbean in January and China in May when it must have got just as hot, but I had no problems at all - I think the only thing that would have changed is updated firmware.

For what it's worth, I used to have a Nikon D300 that locked up once or twice a year, and that must be a much less complicated machine! We also shouldn't forget the serious software problems the Leica M9 suffered on launch.

I suspect any non-hardware glitches will soon be ironed out by firmware updates.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
bilbo (19th October 2013), cliff (19th October 2013), Iansky (20th October 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (19th October 2013), Zuiko (19th October 2013)
Old 19th October 2013
nbagno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Since this issue occurs with both m43 cameras it seems more likely that the problem is either your lens or m43 lens adapter. Perhaps some of the contacts on the adapter are dirty or misaligned?
I believe this also happens on my Panasonic 20mm lens and just read where it's a "known issue". Don't like it at all.
Old 19th October 2013
Alpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Hilliers is still mainly in "the green" but maybe more "autumnal" in December for a catch up
Looks like it's a date then Chevvy!!

I am not too sure about my copy of the Zuiko 35-300 mk2 lens. On both my E-M5 and now on the E-M1 it is not as sharp as the Panny 100-300, particularly at the longer end where the Oly 75-300 struggles.

On the other hand, others here really like this lens and I can't work out whether it's just my copy or if others just don't have the Panny 100-300 to compare it with!

If I could be sure then I would take my lens back for a replacement.

For what they are worth, the DXO lens comparison report does put the Panny several points ahead of the Oly for these focal length lenses and whilst I prefer to see real life situation test comparisons, I do have to say that the Panny is quite a bit ahead in my own experience.

The other side of the coin is that the Panny suffers more lens creep than the Oly and it's bigger and heavier but with faster apertures at both FL ends.
Old 19th October 2013

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts

Out of interest when you folk have received your new OMD-EM1 did you carry out a factory reset before delving into play mode.

The thinking behind this is I assume that Oly quality control carry out tests on all cameras before shipment. A factory reset IMHO has to be the first action followed by a card format in any new camera. If it is not the first it should be if there are problem being experienced with the camera. If it is a software fault I would expect it to be repeatable. What is of most concern to me, having one on order, is that nobody seems to be able to reproduce the fault.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
Bruce Clarke (19th October 2013), Iansky (20th October 2013), jamsa (19th October 2013), Xenon (19th October 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Iansky (20th October 2013), jamsa (19th October 2013), Wee man (20th October 2013)
Old 20th October 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just to chip in, I had a partial lockup for the first time today, a normal switch off then back on cleared it so I didn't have to pull the battery. I was trying out C-AF+Tr for the first time since receiving the camera and it occurred approx 20 mins after enabling that feature.

I switched back to C-AF and didn't hit any more problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcwill For This Useful Post:
jamsa (20th October 2013)
Old 20th October 2013

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

When I tried a demo E-M1 body + my 14-35mm/2 a week ago, I had a total lockup with AF-assist led on (it was dark).
I was testing C-AF mode and I had to remove the battery out to reset.
My first EM-5 behaved the same for the first 3 months, 1 to 3 lockups every month until the second firmware update (for the IS sound).
Old 20th October 2013

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

'However I did mention very early on suffering blurred images using my 75-300 (longer end) and with CAF+tr with Auto IBIS. Eventually "cured" by using IBIS1 and changing to the Panny 100-300 where it was sharp throughout the zoom range.(using IBIS rather than the lens stabiliser)'

Hi, you say your 75 300 on the long end is alittle soft, which one do you have, as I have the mkII and is equally sharp right though the range even wide open, if you call f6.7 wide open at the long end. I wished Olympus have come out with a f4 straight through, at an afordable price.

Dave
Old 20th October 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Just to prove that lockups are not a new problem I had some on my E3 this morning. After some playing around including taking battery in and out I resolved the problem by putting in a newly charged battery even though the indicator was not showing a problem.

It started happening when I was refamiliarisng my self with bracketing. I feared the worse initially but as I say it was simple in the end. Always worth checking the basics.

Hec
Old 20th October 2013

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
'However I did mention very early on suffering blurred images using my 75-300 (longer end) and with CAF+tr with Auto IBIS. Eventually "cured" by using IBIS1 and changing to the Panny 100-300 where it was sharp throughout the zoom range.(using IBIS rather than the lens stabiliser)'

Hi, you say your 75 300 on the long end is alittle soft, which one do you have, as I have the mkII and is equally sharp right though the range even wide open, if you call f6.7 wide open at the long end. I wished Olympus have come out with a f4 straight through, at an afordable price.

Dave
I would say my 100-300 is superbly sharp up to about 200mm, but it falls off a little after that. I noticed this first hand-held, but I've confirmed it both on a tripod with all stabilization off, and handheld with IBIS. I haven't tried it with lens stabilization.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 20th October 2013
Alpha1

I have the mZuiko 75-300 mk ll lens, latest version.

I have never been as happy with this lens on the E-M5 it is slower to focus and not as sharp hand held as my Panny 100-300.

On the E-M1 it focuses as fast as the 100-300 but the latter is sharp right to the end at F6.5 which my copy of the 75-300 is not. I will get it checked out because although it's slower for UK light, for sunnier climes which is when I shall be travelling, the more compact and lighter design is a significant benefit.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, as that was very helpful.

I can still hold an EFL lens of 600mm steady above 1/800 with an Oly's IBIS system even at my great age!!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ozzie (21st October 2013)
Old 20th October 2013

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

Shot around 400 frames shooting, mad dog, kids and cars today, all in CAF mode

CAF is quite superb, with very few examples of dropped focus (which it then recovered a a couple of frames later) I'll put a few images up in the gallery

but maybe more important no sign of a lock up

IS is still working well after the reset

still delighted with it despite the locking
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Wee man (20th October 2013), wellyboot (20th October 2013), Xenon (20th October 2013)
Old 20th October 2013

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Good to hear, Brian!
Very re-assuring...thanks for updating those of us merely looking on at this stage
Old 20th October 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Went to the park when the rain finally stopped today. Messing about with C-AF+Tr (proably had the 50-200 on but not sure) and I had a lockup. Screen and EVF went blank and none of the buttons functioned. Had to take battery out to bring back to life.

Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to simonknee For This Useful Post: