Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 9th March 2014

Liked 383 Times in 146 Posts
How does it do it?

Hello all, from a new forum user. I just had my first serious outing with my new EM-1 a weekend in Berlin. I got some very nice results by playing with a couple of features/modes, the kind of things I don't usually use, but wanted to see what they did. Now I'm so impressed, I want to know HOW it did it!

I tried Art Filter "Dramatic Tone" at the Holocaust memorial got some interesting effects on the stonework, and 'dramatic' skies. I'd like to have an idea how to recreate the effect in Photoshop or Lightroom anyone have any ideas *what* this filter does?

Then mode "Night Scene" gave excellent hand-held results of the Sony Centre by night. In this mode, I can't seem to select a single focus point as I do in aperture mode; other than selecting an appropriate aperture/speed and stabilising the shot, does Night Mode do anything special I couldn't do 'manually', and thus keep my ability to select my target focus point?

And I may be missing something on panorama mode I thought it would stitch several shots together automatically into a panorama, they way my previous CSC (Sony NEX) did, but no joy. Do I have to do this the old-fashioned way, by hand, and if so, what's the point of 'panorama mode', when you could just shoot the same sequence individually anyway?

All that said, and while I'm still at the start of the EM-1 learning curve, I'm impressed by it so far I suspect it's a far better photographer than I am!
Old 12th March 2014

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Re: How does it do it?

Hi Margaret

I would like to suggest to you that you post the images that you wrote about so that we can get an idea of what you did and how it worked out for you.
Old 12th March 2014

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

welcome

the mode settings are for those that don't know better, or in some cases don't know enough. generally you can set the camera up in M to do exactly the same thing.

the art filters are another thing entirely! best way to explore these is to shoot in RAW and then select your filter in Olympus Viewer 3 and see what it's doing. simple answer is that you could duplicate that in ACR or similar but it's not simple and I have given up trying to emulate it - I just take what I get from the camera as an option and work from there in jpeg if I want a small tweak.
Old 12th March 2014

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I may be missing something on panorama mode … I thought it would stitch several shots together automatically into a panorama, they way my previous CSC (Sony NEX) did, but no joy. Do I have to do this the old-fashioned way, by hand, and if so, what's the point of 'panorama mode', when you could just shoot the same sequence individually anyway?
Welcome to the forum Margaret. I seem to recall that you can stich the panorama using Olympus Viewer 3. It may also enable you to apply other art filters if you take your pics in the RAW mode. Even if you use other post camera software I would still recommend you having a look and play with OV3.Hope this helps.
John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 24th March 2014

Liked 383 Times in 146 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I've downloaded OV3, and had a play with it now. I don't think it'll ever be my RAW processor of first-choice, since I've spent too many years getting to grips with Lightroom, but it does have some useful features like the Art Filter 'after-the-fact' capability, and the pano stitching option, so it'll probably see occasional use.

Horses for courses, I guess .... if I can do in OV3 in a moment what it would take hours to do in photoshop (even if I knew how), then life's too short to muck around with photoshop!