Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 31st March 2009

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Langstone Harbour panoramas

Well, my Bigma proved to be faulty following repair so it is back with Sigma. It has been back-focussing and needs to be corrected.
In the mean-time, I thought I would have a go with some panoramas. The first two are below.

Made up of 5 images staken hand-held with the ZD 70-300 & E3. These shots were taken from the mound on Southmoor looking towards the bridging between Langstone (on the left) and Hayling island. Only one bridge remains as a road link and this can be seen in the background. In front of this are the remaining piers of the railway bridge. These can be seen as the dark stumps rising from the water. The railway was closed by Beeching (as were so many lines around the country). The usual excuse of lack of receipts from Hayling Island was used as an excuse (this ignored the many holiday makers that used the line) and also because the bridge was 'unsafe'. On both counts it was the wrong decision. The bridge was blown up after closure but the stumps remain today as a reminder that it was in fact stronger than Beeching made out and if you see the traffic trying to get on/off the island in the summer months you wonder about the reason for closure being lack of use!
Getting back to the rest of the picture, the sea channel passing under the bridge leads to Chichester Harbour. The area in front of the bridge is one of the Oyster beds.

This was taken from Southmoor (on the shore-line), looking over towards Portsmouth Island. To the left of the centre is the Spinnaker Tower (originally intended to be called the Millenium tower but by the time of opening, this would have been embarrassing). The area around the tower (Gunwharf) has been completely rebuilt into a modern shopping centre and is very popular. It's actually located at the western side of the island. The smoking chimney is from the incinerator built close to what was the airport on the eastern side of the island. The airport now is an industrial complex located close to the Eastern Road.

Sorry for the number of words but I thought it would be interesting to provide some of the background.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 1st April 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Langstone Harbour panoramas

Ah, memories! I remember sitting on that bridge for ages and ages, waiting to get off the island at the end of a holiday - quite a few years ago though.

They're lovely pictures, both very different.
Old 2nd April 2009

Thanks Ellie.

I remember trying to leave the island one summer and finding I joined the queue at Hayling seafront at 1600hrs and did not get onto the bridge until 2100hrs.
Hayling Island has suffered over the years due to the lack of good links with the mainland.
Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 2nd April 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Excellent captures as usual Peter, I know them (the views) well and they capture the atmosphere perfectly.

PeterL

peterlittlephotography.com
Old 2nd April 2009

Thanks Peter. I aim to survey the harbour and take a few more panoramas.
I note that the electricity generator has been at work at Southmoor, taking down trees to make an access road. Apparantly Nature Watch has provided advice but must have forgotten that the migrants return Feb/Mar and nest building is taking place in earnest from the second week in March. This work is for the next 3-4 months, laying a cable across Southmoor and under the sea to Hayling Island. That's what you call planning.
Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 2nd April 2009
tlove

Impressive pictures Peter - I like those a lot !

I'm so very sorry to hear about your Bigma being in dock again - you have my sympathy . Are they sorting this problem out under warranty? I do hope so.
Old 2nd April 2009

Thanks Thea.
The repair is being carried out under warranty. The cause we all agree was when I dropped the lens and fractured the lens hood. Although this is the case, Sigma will sort out the problem at no extra cost to me.

In the mean-time, I have been practising with the ZD 70-300 - not a great favourite of mine. I am having to learn the quirks of this lens for wildlife shooting. Not bad on stationary targets that do not mind waiting while you focus on them or landscapes where changes are very slight.

I shall post some of these later. Practise with this lens is definately the way to go.
Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 3rd April 2009
tlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Thanks Thea.
The repair is being carried out under warranty. The cause we all agree was when I dropped the lens and fractured the lens hood. Although this is the case, Sigma will sort out the problem at no extra cost to me.

In the mean-time, I have been practising with the ZD 70-300 - not a great favourite of mine. I am having to learn the quirks of this lens for wildlife shooting. Not bad on stationary targets that do not mind waiting while you focus on them or landscapes where changes are very slight.

I shall post some of these later. Practise with this lens is definately the way to go.
Peter
Good to hear it will be done under warranty Peter. I hope you're back up and running with it really soon (they've still got mine, and no sign of it coming back yet either )

At least you've got the 70-300 to play with, even if it is a bit of a handful! It's a lens I'd like to have a go with sometime to see how I can get on with one (not that I can afford to buy one ). The biggest lens I've got is my 50-200 - not too clever for wildlife shots really. Still, mustn't grumble as it's a fantastic bit of glass, especially when coupled with my EC14