Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 8th February 2008
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,558
Thanks: 333
Thanked 395 Times in 273 Posts
Likes: 1,314
Liked 904 Times in 293 Posts
Robin

Hi -

I have spent the last two days at feeding time trying to get a shot as good or as close to what you guys/girls are able to achieve.

This one has been taken with the 70-300 lens. I'm sitting in the conservatory and the feeder is some 10 metres away. A mode - F5.6 - 1/160" and iso 400 in good light - Focal length at 300mm. After p+p cropped down to 1/3rd.




How can I improve my shooting please.

Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Last edited by Barr1e; 8th February 2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: altered text
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 8th February 2008
andym's Avatar
andym andym is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Epping Forest
Posts: 4,355
Thanks: 37
Thanked 346 Times in 258 Posts
Likes: 39
Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Re: Robin

Barrie

A couple of questions.Was your I/S switched on,was this hand held and is it through glass ie a window.

Sorry thats three questions
__________________
All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.


My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 8th February 2008
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,762
Thanks: 480
Thanked 626 Times in 542 Posts
Likes: 2,811
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts
Re: Robin

I put my E3 on a tripod and use a wireless remote. I got the remote off Ebay and it works a treat.

Jim Ford
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 8th February 2008
andym's Avatar
andym andym is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Epping Forest
Posts: 4,355
Thanks: 37
Thanked 346 Times in 258 Posts
Likes: 39
Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Re: Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I put my E3 on a tripod and use a wireless remote. I got the remote off Ebay and it works a treat.

Jim Ford

Jim

Exactly my thoughts.I must admit although the I/S works well at lower shutter speeds I seem to get much more consistant results with it off and using high shutter speeds.Also I do not own the 70-300 but it may be a bit sharper stopped down a little more even if it means uping the ISO above 400 and using a little noise reduction.I use Neat image but there others available as well..
Just something else for you to try Barrie.
__________________
All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.


My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 8th February 2008
Nick Temple-Fry's Avatar
Nick Temple-Fry Nick Temple-Fry is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 4,395
Thanks: 17
Thanked 190 Times in 142 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Robin

Not sure if IS should really be an issue for these small birds, you are shooting quite fast anyway.

I wonder if the focus is actually on the bird or on the feeder, at the moment I tend to shoot robins hand held (e-3, 50-200, ec1.4) using s-af(s).

Are you applying any noise reduction/smoothing in post processing, this can be problemmatic with the small feather details/texture.

10m is quite a distance for these small birds, most of my Robin shots have been at more like 10-15 ft. They are quite bold and provided you make no sudden movement are unlikely to be scared away.

Hope this helps

Nick
__________________
Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 8th February 2008
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,558
Thanks: 333
Thanked 395 Times in 273 Posts
Likes: 1,314
Liked 904 Times in 293 Posts
Re: Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Barrie

A couple of questions.Was your I/S switched on,was this hand held and is it through glass ie a window.

Sorry thats three questions
Hi Andy -

I/S - not on.

Tripod.

No, through open doors.

The lens was set to AF and not MF.


Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 8th February 2008
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,558
Thanks: 333
Thanked 395 Times in 273 Posts
Likes: 1,314
Liked 904 Times in 293 Posts
Re: Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Not sure if IS should really be an issue for these small birds, you are shooting quite fast anyway.

I wonder if the focus is actually on the bird or on the feeder, at the moment I tend to shoot robins hand held (e-3, 50-200, ec1.4) using s-af(s).

Are you applying any noise reduction/smoothing in post processing, this can be problemmatic with the small feather details/texture.

10m is quite a distance for these small birds, most of my Robin shots have been at more like 10-15 ft. They are quite bold and provided you make no sudden movement are unlikely to be scared away.

Hope this helps

Nick
Hi Nick -

I set the camera up on the tripod - knowing where the birds land. I only shoot when the birds arrive so the lens focuses on the bird and not the firs behind. I'll try moving the camera forward later on. [Edit - Just a smidgem of noise reduction.]



Jim -

Have you a link for the remote please.


Thanks all for your help and guidance.

Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 8th February 2008
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,762
Thanks: 480
Thanked 626 Times in 542 Posts
Likes: 2,811
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts
Re: Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
Jim -

Have you a link for the remote please.
This is the one I bought:

http://tinyurl.com/24vbrw

But this one looks the same, down to the 'JJC' ident, but is much cheaper, mainly because the post is cheaper! I would probably have gone for this one if it had been on Ebay at the time:

http://tinyurl.com/2dlxcr

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 8th February 2008
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,558
Thanks: 333
Thanked 395 Times in 273 Posts
Likes: 1,314
Liked 904 Times in 293 Posts
Re: Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
This is the one I bought:

http://tinyurl.com/24vbrw

But this one looks the same, down to the 'JJC' ident, but is much cheaper, mainly because the post is cheaper! I would probably have gone for this one if it had been on Ebay at the time:

http://tinyurl.com/2dlxcr

Jim
Thanks very much Jin.

Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 8th February 2008
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,389
Thanks: 280
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Likes: 1,001
Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts
Re: Robin

Barrie

I'm a greta believer in a bit of sun to lift a shot. Keep trying and hope the light will help.

Maybe you were pre-focussed on the feeder? Wait for the bird to sit still and then use single AF or as I think AF struggles at this time of year, try a few AF with MF.

If all else fails an air rifle will slow them down.... joke

I saw an incredible Robin here http://www.artwanted.com/imageview.cfm?ID=620821. I wish I'd seen that shot!

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 8th February 2008
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,558
Thanks: 333
Thanked 395 Times in 273 Posts
Likes: 1,314
Liked 904 Times in 293 Posts
Re: Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Barrie

I'm a greta believer in a bit of sun to lift a shot. Keep trying and hope the light will help.

Maybe you were pre-focussed on the feeder? Wait for the bird to sit still and then use single AF or as I think AF struggles at this time of year, try a few AF with MF.

If all else fails an air rifle will slow them down.... joke

I saw an incredible Robin here http://www.artwanted.com/imageview.cfm?ID=620821. I wish I'd seen that shot!

Peter

Thanks Peter.

What a great pic re your link - something to look forward too.

The Robin's which to feed seem to be a parent and a junior as the youngster insists on being fed.

Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Robin came flying a' by... :) theMusicMan Foto Fair 11 3rd February 2008 09:43 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:39 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger