Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 11th January 2008

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Re: Built in E-System disadvantages

I read the comments with interest, as a 510 user I rather like the compactness of the camera and some of the superb lenses. I have the14-354 and the 40-150 with the 35mm macro and all these lenses offer both superb quality and lightness. ut we shouldn't kid ourselves that they will ever compete on even terms with the larger full frame sensors-they wont! But they are still good lenses in a quality camera. I would imagine the next version from Sony will make a quantum leap forward and rightly so, but it still wont make the oly's obsolete.

Last edited by yorky; 11th January 2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11th January 2008
scotianostra

The new Sony A200 seems to have universally underwhelmed the first reviews of it, like on PopPhoto.com, the only positive thing they seem to say about it is that it's cheap. I really can't see Sony in DSLR terms being a threat to Olympus, as it's really only KonicaMinolta, and they went bust. The new line-up is very KonicaMinolta, and I can't see it making a market impression. The fact (suggestion) that Tamron might start producing 4/3s lenses just increases Olympus's (and Panasonic's) advantage.
Old 12th January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I rather like the compactness of the camera and some of the superb lenses
That's what seems to throw a lot of people, they look at the little camera and the little lenses and say, "It isn't very big is it? Mine's bigger ..." and suggest that big = better.

As an aside, I surely can't be the only person who can remember when calculators were the size of a house brick, mobile phones were too heavy to be mobile and weren't cameras and pocket computers too. So why does there seem to be such a resistance to new technology for cameras?
Old 12th January 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Its a hard battle to fight your way up with the Nikons and Cannons. A lot of it though is fighting perceptions as well as improving the hardware. Its the perceptions battle that is the hardest battle to fight.

Kind regards

PeterD
Good comments Peter, you are absolutely right because there is a saying that you allude to here which is... "perception is reality" and which is extremely difficult to mitigate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisbro View Post
The problem with some testers is that they over emphasize the miniscule and thus mislead the consumer. Think of it of a beautiful model walking down the cat walk in a stunning creation. They will see the single grey hair appearing at the brow, the blemish on the cheek is hormonal imbalance and the slight grimace on the corner of the right lip is due to the pain from an in growing toe nail. Its still a nice dress on a pretty woman but the headlines will mention the trivia. Limp performance from aging wannabe.

H
More excellent words here from Haisbro too... well said sir.

At the end of the day though folks, it's all relative. What it is that actually works, is whatever it is that works for you, regardless of make or model. OK, the camera itself is a tool of differing functionalities that a photographer uses to take photo's - but it's the photographer who decides on the subject for the shot, and who works out the composition, and who uses the tool to it's full capability.

I also read somewhere a comment relating to 'mines better than yours' and the 'superiority complex'. In the same way that I see very few Mac owners bashing PC's (99% the other way around), I also don't see many (if any) Olympus owners bashing any of the other brands - which is good, and of course is exactly the way it should be.

Finally, when making a consumer purchase decision, I don't focus on (excuse the pun!!) the number of disadvantages or negative aspects relating to a product, I look at the advantages and positive aspects of it.

Happy shooting folks...! it's the weekend so get out there

Old 12th January 2008

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotianostra View Post
The new Sony A200 seems to have universally underwhelmed the first reviews of it, like on PopPhoto.com, the only positive thing they seem to say about it is that it's cheap. I really can't see Sony in DSLR terms being a threat to Olympus, as it's really only KonicaMinolta, and they went bust. The new line-up is very KonicaMinolta, and I can't see it making a market impression. The fact (suggestion) that Tamron might start producing 4/3s lenses just increases Olympus's (and Panasonic's) advantage.
Minolta may have gone broke but there was nothing wrong with their cameras..ever! in fact, they used to be partners with Leitz? However, there is little chance of Sony going broke. Lets face it, its time there was competition to the Canon Nikon monopoly. For my use, Olympus are great but I don't ever see them having more than a niche market as with Pentax and Samsung.