Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd May 2019

Liked 895 Times in 408 Posts
Another very rare butterfly having a good year

This butterfly (the Pearl-bordered fritillary) is another 'rarity'. In the last 25-30 years numbers have declined by about 75% and sites where it can be seen have dropped by about 95% (based on stats from Butterfly Conservation). They say it is now one of our most-threatened species

One place that it is still flying and (based on my recent visit and local reports) actually doing quite well is the Wyre Forest in Worcestershire (https://www.visitwyreforest.co.uk).

This charming butterfly was a challenge to get close to and was almost constantly on the move. At the site I visited the butterflies were amongst bluebells and bracken which gave me most of the opportunities for nice shots. I saw about 50 butterflies (which shows there is a good number in that colony) and the sun was shining. Which helps enormously in getting good depth of field with lowish ISO.

I used my 40-150 pro with 1.4tc exclusively (and mostly at full stretch). ***Please Olympus make the 2.0tc compatible and available soon*** Or make me a 90-250 f4 with similar close focus ability***. I promise I'll buy it

But on to the pictures....

This butterfly is similar in colour and basic pattern to some of the other fritillaries but it is a delicate and beautiful insect with individual charm.

It was a wonderful trip that I hope to repeat another year. ....if the site remains viable and butterflies survive there.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Barr1e (22nd May 2019), Beagletorque (22nd May 2019), Bengeo (23rd May 2019), IainMacD (22nd May 2019), Internaut (22nd May 2019), JohnGG (22nd May 2019), Keith-369 (22nd May 2019), Melaka (23rd May 2019), MJ224 (23rd May 2019), OM USer (22nd May 2019), Otto (22nd May 2019), rsh1960 (23rd May 2019)