Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd December 2018

Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,500 Posts
Liked 4,449 Times in 2,004 Posts
LibreOffice

Having just received an automated notification from Microsoft that on my new computer the trial period of MS Office has expired and will be disabled by Dec 6 unless I buy it. Such an affront after having had their dud Win10 o/s foisted upon me that I found a likely replacement in the FREE LibreOffice suite, which is fully compatible with the MS product. It's early days yet but so far I like it a lot. If you have anything to say about Libre, pros or cons, I'd be interested to hear it.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 2nd December 2018

Thanked 1,146 Times in 718 Posts
Liked 1,486 Times in 742 Posts
Re: LibreOffice

Hi Mark, a from me. I've used the free LO for several months and have found it more than adequate for my needs which revolve around the MS versions of Word and Excel. It's also very easy to transfer over any Word or Excel items to LO. At the price, what's not to like?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 759 Times in 504 Posts

I've been using it for years, first in its earlier incarnation as Open Office and then as Libre Office. I've had very very few problems: occasionally an update introduces a glitch, on the rare occasions it has happened I have just re-installed it from the previous downloaded version and waited for the next update.

John
Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 164 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Having just received an automated notification from Microsoft that on my new computer the trial period of MS Office has expired and will be disabled by Dec 6 unless I buy it. Such an affront after having had their dud Win10 o/s foisted upon me that I found a likely replacement in the FREE LibreOffice suite, which is fully compatible with the MS product. It's early days yet but so far I like it a lot. If you have anything to say about Libre, pros or cons, I'd be interested to hear it.
Libre Office is a very reliable, stable program with most, if not all, the features of MS Office.

Another alternative is to purchase an older version of MS Office complete with lifetime activation key from ebay for approx £5.50. These are supposedly salvaged from business computers by building clearance companies and legally resold. We have both options.

Darkroom
Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 1,761 Times in 1,135 Posts

I've been using LibreOffice for years.

LibreOffice is a fork of the older OpenOffice, which still exists. I believe there was a dispute amongst the OpenOffice developers and some of the team split off to form LibreOffice.

There have been organisations that have adopted OpenOffice (and possibly LO) as their official office suite and the odf file format, because they don't want to be locked into the MS system.

For super 'typeset' documents Tex/LaTex is the way to go. A few years back some American universities would only accept theses written with LaTex. I don't know whether it still applies. I used to use LaTex a lot.

Jim
Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 164 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
For super 'typeset' documents Tex/LaTex is the way to go. A few years back some American universities would only accept theses written with LaTex. I don't know whether it still applies. I used to use LaTex a lot.

Jim
Having now retired, I don't find the need to contact American Universities too often, but if the need does arise, I'll keep that advice in mind.

Darkroom
Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 774 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom View Post
Having now retired, I don't find the need to contact American Universities too often, but if the need does arise, I'll keep that advice in mind.

Darkroom
You too? Now I don’t feel quite so lonely!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Darkroom (2nd December 2018)
Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 544 Times in 382 Posts

I worked with one of the LaTex developers who then worked on XyWrite a rather nice word processor that wwas involved in the newspaper industry for electronic typesetting. I have a Windows 3.1 version of another derivative of this product called Signature, it was cancelled two days before it was to be announced to the world. However I did get quite a lot of travel from the product before it was canned.
Old 2nd December 2018

Thanks all for your reassuring endorsements; gives credence to the movie, Mo Money theme song, The best things in life are free.

blu-by-u (3rd December 2018)
Old 3rd December 2018

Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts

Definitely go with Libre Office. For personal use it's just fine, and should work well for many small business operations too. Unless you're an advanced user with MS Office there isn't going to be very much you can't do with it that you could with MS Office. If you're familiar with MS Office there isn't much of a learning curve with Libre Office.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
pandora (4th December 2018), RobEW (3rd December 2018)
Old 3rd December 2018

Liked 200 Times in 135 Posts

I've had LibreOffice since a laptop repair at a local shop somehow turned into a reinstall and lost my MS Office. I hate to rent software. LibreOffice has been good and pretty well perfectly compatible except for one of my Excel spreadsheets which has extensive macros in it.
pandora (4th December 2018)
Old 4th December 2018

Percy, Rob, I once used MS Office quite a bite for such as Powerpoint presentations,and spreadsheets before retirement. I still have a number of personal Powerpoint slide show presentations. Microsoft will disable the trial vers. of Office on this new computer in two days from now. Can I be sure those slide shows will still run on Libre?

Old 4th December 2018

Thanked 1,146 Times in 718 Posts
Liked 1,486 Times in 742 Posts

Something I forgot to mention is that L O has an android version. As I haven't used the android version, I can't see any reason why the versions can't be transferred between the two? Perhaps others can comment?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 4th December 2018

Liked 774 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Percy, Rob, I once used MS Office quite a bite for such as Powerpoint presentations,and spreadsheets before retirement. I still have a number of personal Powerpoint slide show presentations. Microsoft will disable the trial vers. of Office on this new computer in two days from now. Can I be sure those slide shows will still run on Libre?
Only one way to reliably find out..... try ‘em!

Is there a freebie runtime version for showing PowerPoint slides any more? Used to be.
Old 4th December 2018

Thanked 1,560 Times in 1,484 Posts
Liked 1,468 Times in 941 Posts

I've used OpenOffice for many years. My copy of Word (MS Office) is the 2007 version so showing some cobwebs but still does what I need.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day