Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 6th February 2010
Administrator

Liked 541 Times in 293 Posts
Autumn Colours ?

A couple I took last weekend whilst out looking for the Monmouthshire Volcano (yes there really is one, but you missed it being axciting by about 250 million years )

It was a bit hazy for the long views, but such a nice day

I've tweaked the contrast in both a little, but not the colours yet the look quite different. I prefer the colours in the 2nd, (I keep wondering whether they are too harsh?) but the composition in the 1st.

C&C are welcome as always

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 6th February 2010

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts
Re: Autumn Colours ?

No 2 does it for me.
Old 6th February 2010

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

I know it's not the looking for perfection section BUT ....I like both shots except for parts being a bit dark.
I copied them and just moved the midtones to the left in levels a bit and some great detail popped out.It also livened up the sunny areas.
If I was doing a mod i would just do these areas only as the rest looks great.

Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 6th February 2010

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

No.2 for me too - I like the zig-zag of the valley which leads you through the landscape, and I prefer the colour saturation in this one too.

However, I'd also agree that both seem too dark in parts - with no.2 the wood in the middle of shot could probably do with a little lift in lightness, while in no.1 the fields in the centre seem to be lacking impact that could probably be increased though more lightness and more saturation possibly.

Regards
Chris
Old 6th February 2010
Kiwi Paul

Great shots Andy, I agree with the previous 2 comments.

Paul
Old 7th February 2010

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

2 does it for me, but I'd like to see the suggested improvements as an exercise in PP. Would be nice to compare, as I like 2 as it is.

DavidJ.
If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.
Old 7th February 2010
steve s

No2 for me as well, sounds stupid I know, but looking at it makes me feel as I could just step into it. I guess its as Catkins said the zig zag of the valley leads you into it.
Old 7th February 2010

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I love 2. Just like my back garden..........I wish.

Bob
Old 7th February 2010
jonsey

your so lucky to have scenery like that where you are, great colours and light, brill job
Old 7th February 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Yep, number two here as well. Good composition.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 7th February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ1609 View Post
2 does it for me, but I'd like to see the suggested improvements as an exercise in PP. Would be nice to compare, as I like 2 as it is.

DavidJ.
As usual I've had a play with both images to help illustrate where the effect of lightening could help - and as usual this is not critique or the correct solution but solely a possible alternative!

With No.2 the key possible improvement is by lightening the field in the middle right of the photo. This then has to be balanced with lightening other areas depending what method is being used - i.e. in ACDSee Pro 3, I use 'Lighting - Light EQ' with 9 Tone Bands, and when I alter the lightness of the field it can also lighten the hills, when in reality I would prefer that area to be slightly darker. So the alterations to No.2 are subtle and fairly minimal - there is detail in the dark areas of the woods in the middle, but as noted previously they help lead you through the image, and lightening this area reduces that effect.

So by way of example, I've actually used No.1 photo to similarly illustrate the changes that altering lighting brings. I've also added 'Bloom' to soften the image, and this is purely for my own subjective taste!! There are still aspects of colour in my example that I would with more time alter.
By altering the lighting I feel this image starts to increase in my subjective preference, with again the dark woods leading you in and through the colourful sunlit scene towards the hills in the background.

Hope that this helps illustrate what a good image the original is,

Regards
Chris
Old 7th February 2010

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

These are what I meant about just getting the detail out in the dark areas.
Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 7th February 2010
Administrator

Liked 541 Times in 293 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback and especially re the composition of #2. It was the shape of the valley that attracted me to the shots in the 1st place, but I struggled to frame it to my satisfaction.

What I find intersesting and amusing in any ways about the suggestions is how much the resulting images are staring to resemble the OOC JPG files in certain areas.

I had thought them to be too misty so started tweaking. Which I tend to find if I've taken more than 30 seconds over I start to be more destructive than constructive

BTW you will note the telegraph poles in the original. Darkness or Not they had to go

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 7th February 2010

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post

What I find intersesting and amusing in any ways about the suggestions is how much the resulting images are staring to resemble the OOC JPG files in certain areas.

I had thought them to be too misty so started tweaking. Which I tend to find if I've taken more than 30 seconds over I start to be more destructive than constructive
Thanks for that comment. I frequently find the same thing and assumed it was just that I'm rubbish at PP. You've helped to restore a newbie's confidence and encourage me to keep at it.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 7th February 2010

Out Of Camera images that are well composed are always the ideal, with the knowledge that personal preferences in colour, lightness, etc can be altered by Post Processing to suit in effect something that could be defined as a subjective opinion.
As in these images, a good initial image is a key essential. Planning, a good eye for detail, layout, etc. help to ensure that the foibles of poor LCD screens, atmospheric conditions, etc. can at least be corrected afterwards. Some images will be taken as a general image but then later a particular purpose may suit that image, and so post processing starts to come into its own.

The digital revolution has brought about a great change in the way photographs are taken and then used, but I still hark back to my student days of owning a Zenith E and a wide angle lens, everything was manual and a fair bit of thought had to go into what you were doing - it was a great learning curve, but what really interested me was composition, the design and layout of the image. My technical abilities and my interest in these technicalities was never particularly high, so it wasn't until the digital age came along that I really began to enjoy all aspects of photography. The challenges of getting a good photo can be backed up by the amazing things that we can now do on the computer with those images. But it can be difficult knowing when to stop (or perhaps when even not to start!).

Compostion of an image i.e. OOC to a certain extent has certain rules that can help easily guide the taking of an image, but manipulation of an image i.e. PP is much more of a subjective proces. So really, for those learning, the key is to enjoy the PP and make what you want of your images - experiment, play with settings, try alternatives and find a style. For 'newbies' don't be afraid to ignore complex Photoshop type programs and instead use some of the freebies (Picasa, Photoscape, etc.) with their easy shortcuts - it can make it easier and quicker to see how different effects change an image - even the cataloguing programs like ACDSee Pro can make useful changes simply, while still allowing you to revert back to the original image if you don't like what you've done.
This forum shows the range of ideas, but make sure that you challenge those ideas too!

Regards
Chris