Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 8th November 2009

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts
DxO Optics Pro 6

Stimulated by Nick T-F's post on the subject I downloaded the trial. Admittedly 1 image only but here is a comparison of sorts.

E-520 ISO 1600 1/15 @ f4 RAW WB Auto Tungsten lighting

Opened in CS4 saved as tiff and resized in Irfanview - no other PP

Opened in DxO Optics Pro 6 processed using defaults saved as tiff resized in Irfanview

Opened in CS4 filtered with Noiseware - automatic mode saved as tiff resized in Irfan view

Opened in CS4 Noiseware, resize, High Pass filter sharpen

Two first impressions. Noise reduction certainly in default setting not nearly as good as Noiseware. The colour temperature has been increased but it should have been decreased.

Discussion etc. most welcome.

Flickr
Old 9th November 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: DxO Optics Pro 6

Odd - but it's your wall so you must know the colour. While I can't see why it would alter the temperature did you have DxO lighting on, I see that feature as a 'mixed' blessing and a strange one to use as default.

I agree the treatment of the shadow noise is less good in the DxO example.

This seems contrary to my experience with noise/colour rendition on E-3 DxO images. I wonder if

a) It is correctly identifying the camera from the exif
b) or there is variance with the quality of 'profiles' depending on the camera

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 9th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

It's very difficult to evaluate noise in a reduced size version of an image. But for what it's worth, the last version has noticeable halos and the shado under the bag looks unnatural.

The one above it looks smooth, but I can feel that some detail has been lost.

The OP6 version's dark areas are too dark. I can't explain that or the difference in the colour. Sometimes this happens, especially when there is one dominant colour (yellow in this case). I would use the white balance grey dropper and adjust the lighting options in OP6 to get a better result.

The top version looks OK, but at 100% it might look very different.

In my example Here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2009/11/i...optics_pro.php

..I provided full resolution image files to download for comparison that is, honestly, more useful.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 9th November 2009

Nick

I used DxO Optics Pro very naively, merely following the "First Steps" prompt. In order to check out that the camera was being correctly identified I have done a repeat exposure. Lighting again tungsten.

DxO Optics Pro - Default settings. When mouse hovered over image in project pane it correctly identified both body and lens.

The image below had white balance corrected in Lightroom using the Grey Kard in the centre of the image.

The noise reduction as viewed at full size in the application is minimal, I did try moving the sliders but to little effect.

I will try a daylight shot when I get a chance. I convert all my files to DNG on import so am short of ORF's.

Flickr
Old 10th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
..I provided full resolution image files to download for comparison that is, honestly, more useful.

Ian
Ian

I have put full size files including original ORF here

Flickr