Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 28th September 2009

Liked 379 Times in 111 Posts
Third Time Lucky?

After a great weekend weather wise in the South-east of England, today was overcast but Barrie and I spent the day at Cliveden House, situated high on a site overlooking the Thames, not far from Windsor. The original mansion was created in 1666 and the present house (designed by Sir Charles Barry, architect of The Houses of Parliament) is the third on the site, the first two both having been destroyed by fire.

1. Looking over towards the rear of Cliveden House

2. A distant view of the rear showing the Parterre

3. The lawn to the front of the east wing of the house giving reference to its early history

4. The Blenheim Pavilion in the grounds in front of the house

5. The Water Garden - a peaceful oasis today but not on a sunny weekend when the house is open (it was closed today!)

6. Topiary in The Long Garden

Regards, Ann1e
Old 28th September 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Third Time Lucky?

It looks a brilliant place to visit Ann1e, thanks for sharing these pictures
Old 29th September 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Third Time Lucky?

A really good set of pictures Ann1e
Old 29th September 2009

Ellie and Edward -

Thank you both for your comments.

I think we should have waited until today for our visit - we saw a lot more of the sun in these parts. Having said that we were rewarded with few people wandering into our shots yesterday so I guess you can't have everything.

Living in Hertfordshire, I do often regret being almost as far away from the coast as one can be but sometimes forget that we have many fine houses to visit in the area. We have one or two others on our wish list so will have to balance weather with crowds - less people at the start of the week but quite a few houses/gardens not open on Mondays or Tuesdays!

Regards, Ann1e
Old 29th September 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Third Time Lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1e View Post
Ellie and Edward -

Thank you both for your comments.

I think we should have waited until today for our visit - we saw a lot more of the sun in these parts. Having said that we were rewarded with few people wandering into our shots yesterday so I guess you can't have everything.

Living in Hertfordshire, I do often regret being almost as far away from the coast as one can be but sometimes forget that we have many fine houses to visit in the area. We have one or two others on our wish list so will have to balance weather with crowds - less people at the start of the week but quite a few houses/gardens not open on Mondays or Tuesdays!

Regards, Ann1e
Being away from the coast is also what I don`t like about living in Hertfordshire! However my wife & I are hoping to move to Dorset in the next couple of years to solve this problem.
Old 29th September 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH1 View Post
Being away from the coast is also what I don`t like about living in Hertfordshire! However my wife & I are hoping to move to Dorset in the next couple of years to solve this problem.
A good choice of county - we have spent many happy holidays in the Bournemouth area, particularly when the children were young - although I seem to remember our early visits were when it was still in Hampshire! It's not a bad run from here but still not ideal for a day trip .

Regards, Ann1e
Old 29th September 2009

Liked 90 Times in 39 Posts

A very nice set of pictures

I particularly like the composition in nos. 1 and 4. The advantage of overcast days is the lack of harsh shadows and heavy contrasts, showing the buildings off to best advantage. The downside, of course, is the flat skies

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 30th September 2009

Thank you for your comments John - we're just back in business after our internet provider has been down for a few hours!

I agree that dull days often suit buildings, particularly the older structures and, of course, you can choose the most suitable site from which to photograph without taking into account the sun.

Regards, Ann1e