Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 31st July 2009
JackBenedict

Which bevel Cutter are you using

Hi there forum members - I would be interested in finding out what bevel cutters you use for mounting your prints and why , or by what other means you mount prints for display

Also if there anybody out there who has one and doesn't use it I may be interested in buying it from you.
Old 31st July 2009
ndl0071

Re: Which bevel Cutter are you using

I use a Logan set up that I bought last year, I did look around but the advice I received from camera club members was that Logan are the best, I know that that there are cheaper options available but decided on this occasion I would pay a bit more for quality.
I have to say that so far the decision was the right one. I also had cause to contact Logan customer services in the USA, they were very prompt and helpful.
Hope this helps.
Old 31st July 2009

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

I've been using a Logan cutter in conjunction with the adaptor rule mounted on a home made custom board for years now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 31st July 2009
Kiwi Paul

I also use a a Logan, the "Matt Cutter Compact" although it's not really that compact (nearly a metre long), it comes with 2 cutters, a 45deg bevel cutter and a straight cutter, works well I'm pleased with it.
I also use an A3 card cutter that I bought from Paper Plus for £30, sometimes it's better for cutting the card to size for smaller prints.

I bought the Logan frm Great Art online, they had a really good deal right at the time I was buying but they seem to have good prices anyway.

Paul
Old 31st July 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,602 Times in 925 Posts

MAPED - comes with 45 & 90 and a 600mm straight guide system

Available for any good art shop

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 31st July 2009
JackBenedict

Hi Neil - Can I ask what model you bought ?
Old 31st July 2009
ndl0071

Hello Jack, I bought the Team Logan System 440 which comes with a rather long 40inch straight edge, the edge may be to long if you have a restricted working space or you are working with smallish mounts, I believe that you can buy smaller edges (24 inches) if it would serve your needs better.

Incidently my need to contact Logan customer services was not 'hardware' related it was user error
Old 31st July 2009
ndl0071

Jack, a thought just occurred to me that if you are going to be cutting a lot of apertures one of these may be of use, I had one shipped over from Oz (Iím lazy) but you may be able to find a UK equivalent. Saves heaps of time and fiddly measurements

It's a linemaker from Frameco

http://www.clubframeco.com/PDF/Instr...neMaker_FS.pdf

I Hope this is of some use.
Old 31st July 2009
JackBenedict

Thanks Neil and thanks to all of you who responded. I won't need anything too expensive as I am only going to be doing a few prints a year for club competitions. I will have a look at your suggestions.
Thanks again
Old 31st July 2009

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBenedict View Post
Hi there forum members - I would be interested in finding out what bevel cutters you use for mounting your prints and why , or by what other means you mount prints for display

Also if there anybody out there who has one and doesn't use it I may be interested in buying it from you.
I use a Logan Intermediate. This is the smallest Logan cutter that is a pull action rather than push action. A pull action makes it easier to get neat corners without little nicks.
Old 1st August 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I go to my local picture framer who kindly cuts me an A3 mount for about £1.50.
He uses a computerised system so you get perfect bevelled mounts at the correct size for your print without having to buy loads of different coloured card or cutting kits.
Old 1st August 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
I use a Logan Intermediate. This is the smallest Logan cutter that is a pull action rather than push action. A pull action makes it easier to get neat corners without little nicks.
I have the same and it works very well I also have the Logan 900mm rule and push cutter its OK for cutting up board but the intermediate is a superb bevel cutter.

http://bwpn.zenfolio.com/

http://naturalhistorycambs.blogspot.com/

Digital Equipment: Olympus E1 - E30 - E-500 | EC-14 & EC-20 Teleconverter | Zukio 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 150mm F/2, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm | Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 SLD, 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC MACRO, 150 F2.8 Macro & 50-500mm (Bigma) |Tamron 135mm f/2.5 Macro 200mm f/3.5 | Optecka 800mm f/8 Prime | Wallimax 500mm F/6.3 Mirror Lens | Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-4 O Digital Flash | Manfrotto 055XB Tripod, Opticron Carbon Fibre "Traveller" Tripod, Sidewinder Gimbal Head, Manfratto 676B monopod, Manfrotto 322RC2 Head Lowpro Nature Trekker AWII, Lowpro Vertex 100 AW and Lowpro Toploader Pro 75 AW.
Old 1st August 2009
JackBenedict

Invicta and Barrie - Thanks for the additional information. I will take your comments on board.

Stryker - I have a picture framers near to me but he wants £2.05 per apperture cut, so it won't take too many of those to equate to buying my own cutter.

Thanks guys for all your help. I have learnt a lot from this site. You really are a great crowd
Old 1st August 2009
Administrator

Liked 546 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBenedict View Post

Logan Compact 301-s

It's easy and doees up beyond A2 at a pinch which important as the Mrs is a Painter and I just borrow as needed. I do many A4 prints from the cu-outs of her painting mounts

I think it's great and the fact of being able to use any old frame that looks good by cutting a bespoke sized mount saves money as well

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 1st August 2009
250swb

I use a Logan Team System with 24" rule. Works very well.

Steve