Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 8th March 2019

Liked 2,410 Times in 1,586 Posts
Re: Best practice external hard drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Thankyou all, I have been looking to continue with drive one to use as the main drive including IPhoto and a second drive for backup of the photos. There is quite a difference in prices though. I have mainly looked at G-tech, I have had them for a while now going back to the FireWire 800. Touch wood not had a breakdown yet, apart from a transformer which I got very quickly and free replacement from G- tech.

Their are more than one model for the usbC connections. Looking at the 8-10tb range it varies from about £250 usbC connection but running at 5400 and usb3, to around £500 for a in and out running at 5700rpm for a single unit. I am considering one from the top range as my number one drive and the back at the cheaper price.

Although the new usbC runs much faster with HDD but are more than the price of all my camera gear!!

I was also considering getting a more up to date DAM IPhoto has been ignored by apple for a while now, any suggestions? Preferably a one of cost if a good system.
Kind regards Mike
Please bear in mind that whatever the name on the box it will have a hard disk drive inside, almost certainly built by Seagate, Western Digital, or less likely Toshiba or Hitachi, (now HGST owned by Western Digital).

To be fair hard drive reliability is very good these days but some are better than others. The drive that failed on me last week was one of a mirrored pair of 2 TB Seagate Constellation ES drives that have been running virtually 24/7 in my file server for several years. By reconfiguring my RAID controller I am able to use the remaining drive for now and have lost no data, (it is all backed up anyway) but I shall be replacing them with an array of four 6 TB drives (in RAID 6) as soon as the new drives arrive.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (8th March 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Mdb2 (8th March 2019)
Old 8th March 2019

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Please bear in mind that whatever the name on the box it will have a hard disk drive inside, almost certainly built by Seagate, Western Digital, or less likely Toshiba or Hitachi, (now HGST owned by Western Digital).

To be fair hard drive reliability is very good these days but some are better than others. The drive that failed on me last week was one of a mirrored pair of 2 TB Seagate Constellation ES drives that have been running virtually 24/7 in my file server for several years. By reconfiguring my RAID controller I am able to use the remaining drive for now and have lost no data, (it is all backed up anyway) but I shall be replacing them with an array of four 6 TB drives (in RAID 6) as soon as the new drives arrive.

Hi Nigel, that sounds like an expensive system?
Kind regards Mike
Old 8th March 2019

Liked 2,410 Times in 1,586 Posts

I work from home. We have several (too many) computers around the house all connected by gigabit Ethernet and WiFi including our son's iMac and MacBook Pro so we have a central file server set up to store all of the data with tape drives for backup. It all fits quite neatly into the cupboard under the stairs, otherwise known as my 'glory hole'! I can spend hours in there.

It also holds all of our iTunes music libraries.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th March 2019

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Hi NIGEL, that explains it. When I worked as a maintenance electrician I was always informing IT as to the error of their ways, mainly about using the correct underfloor sockets in the server room and general cable tidiness. Every month checking they were keeping an evenness across the supply phases. Now I see the state of my own wiring behind my desk
Kind regards Mike
Naughty Nigel (9th March 2019)
Old 9th March 2019

Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,328 Posts
Liked 2,423 Times in 1,145 Posts

I've recently bought a Synology NAS system DS218j with two mirrored 4TB Western Digital Red HDDs. Seems to be quite slick in operation even I could set it up with a bit of help from my son. Hopefully this will sort out my storage requirements for a while.
Old 9th March 2019

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

but the NAS will not provide your data backup strategy. You will need another couple of NAS to provide inhouse and remote backup.