Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 12th March 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,757 Times in 793 Posts
Cool Old, weird, wonderful - legacy lenses!

It had escaped me that we didn't have a board for the discussion of legacy lenses, so here it is!

I personally don't have any legacy lenses, but I think I could be tempeted to have a play with some inexpensive fast OMs (Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 seems like a good starting point)...

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Simon Bee (22nd October 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (22nd October 2014)
Old 12th March 2009

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts
Re: Old, weird, wonderful - legacy lenses!

Well done Ian

Here are some I modified earlier

90mm 135mm and 200mm Tamron primes...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 12th March 2009
Xpres

Lovely!

Ian - if you'd like to borrow some to play with you'd be welcome. be warned, it's quite addictive.
Old 12th March 2009
scanny

As the profile of the Legacy lens user has risen i along with others have now been tempted to having a dable in this area. Again along with others i was guilty of posting up without fully exploring the search function, there are some great old threads re: Om lenses and a lot of usefull info in there. I know for one i will enjoy my first steps in the Om range this week (dont you just hate waiting on a new toy in the post) and im sure getting useable results will be in no small part down to the advice of our prominent users here. Im looking forward to posting up some shamefull or spectacular results next week.

A sticky thread with reviews of combinations used may be a good organic thread in the future as users explore.
Old 13th March 2009
mike_j

We seem to have a good legacy lens discussion going on http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...splay.php?f=49. It's a good place because it lets us mere Panasonic users chip in.

For example here is my Panasonic G1 with a voitlander 15mm lens (well we 4/3 crowd wanted some wide angle primes)

Old 13th March 2009
Xpres

I'd be interested in seeing some shots from the 15mm. I have one for my bessa and it's a great lens. What's it like as a 30efl on the G1? It's point is it's wide angle so a 30mm f4.5 might not be as attractive. the 35/1.7 might be interesting.
Old 13th March 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,603 Times in 926 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Old, weird, wonderful - legacy lenses!

My favorite "Legacy" item has to be the OM Bellows. While I occasionally use it to copy a slide, the 80mm OM Bellows Macro Lens is ideal for all the other types of "Greater than Lifesize" that I enjoy doing.

I shall be "engineering" a mount to facilitate the use of the focusing rail for direct use of the E-3 & 50mm f/2 Macro.

At the other end of the range my Sigma 600mm is Great Fun and surprisingly usable with IS switched on.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 13th March 2009
mike_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
I'd be interested in seeing some shots from the 15mm. I have one for my bessa and it's a great lens. What's it like as a 30efl on the G1? It's point is it's wide angle so a 30mm f4.5 might not be as attractive. the 35/1.7 might be interesting.
I'd be railroaded out of here if I posted any shots - not a shred of Olympus about it

OK 30mm f4.5 isn't so great but what else have we got on 4/3 of MFT? I'll post some shots over on four thirds user
Old 13th March 2009
Xpres

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
not a shred of Olympus about it
...!

Quote:
30mm f4.5 isn't so great but what else have we got on 4/3 of MFT?
I guess there's Pelengs and such.
Going wide with a 2x crop isn't easy - that's where film comes in handy ... but I suppose that's yet another forum....
Old 13th March 2009
mike_j

There is also quite a lot of 16mm cine stuff, but we are not in Oly territory here.
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44 has a good gallery of exotic lenses with the G1
Old 13th March 2009

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
There is also quite a lot of 16mm cine stuff, but we are not in Oly territory here.
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44 has a good gallery of exotic lenses with the G1
Thanks for the link.. That's a forum I have not seen before..

I am very impressed by speed with which the mFT community have got stuck in with legacy lens adapters! Clearly having an even shorter flange to sensor distance means there are a load more lenses you can use. There are some fab images of the old style pull-out Leica Elmar lens on a G1

This is where the mFT EVF comes into its own, focussing some weird wide angle accurately is a whole lot easier with what amounts to permanent live view, I guess.

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 22nd October 2014

Liked 3,322 Times in 1,791 Posts

Legacy concentrate:

http://adaptall-2.org/

For macro, Schneider Componon bellows lenses are excellent, from the C series up to the HM series. The Printing Nikkors are widely reputed to be the best.

Harold
Old 22nd October 2014

Liked 305 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
It had escaped me that we didn't have a board for the discussion of legacy lenses, so here it is!

I personally don't have any legacy lenses, but I think I could be tempeted to have a play with some inexpensive fast OMs (Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 seems like a good starting point)...

Ian
Ian,

That's wonderful and it has got me thinking of a project for the winter months, time to get out my Nikon F lenses, Leica M and my OM Zuiko's, even the Hasselblad Zeiss lenses too but I'll need to get an adapter first.

As you may know I am heading back in the direction of 'film' for most of my output but I still have an em1 and now that there is a dedicated 'legacy lens' board it might just keep me motivated with digital too

Cheers and 'Thanks',

Simon