Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

View Poll Results: Are you getting fed up with Brexit and should we go back to discussing other things ?
YES - Close the thread 21 47.73%
NO - Keep the debate going on for eternity 23 52.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7th October 2018

Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
You claim to be "not really a political female" yet you've made several posts on this overtly political thread - possibly more than on any other thread. I just wonder if the perceived "political bias" you state as being displayed by staff was on the other 'wing', you'd so uncomfortable!

Jim
Correct Jim, I have made comments on this thread but if you check, I think you will find they were in no way political. I don't have the photographic knowledge that you and others here obviously possess and enjoy reading the various threads but can't contribute to the photo discussions, unless I have a question to ask. I do enjoy banter though providing it's done without rudeness or malice so this is probably why I felt able to make so many comments on this particular thread.

Regarding "political bias " I can assure you my comment would have been exactly the same and just as relevant, irrespective of which way the Admin's bias was directed.

I apologise if my comment rattled your cage slightly Jim but even females are entitled to opinions providing they are expressed politely. Having read many of your posts in the forum I'm sure you are fully conversant and skilled in the art of polite commenting

Rebecca
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Gate Keeper (7th October 2018), Naughty Nigel (8th October 2018)
Old 7th October 2018

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I hope you don't.

Harold
Snap!
(Added 'cos 'snap' is not enough to post apparently.
Old 7th October 2018

Liked 1,596 Times in 787 Posts

Seeing as how John (Zuiko), your post was in reply to one of mine I thought it only right to let you know that I agree with all the others supporting you. This forum and this thread make it clear what goes on here. The fact that you are an admin doesn't stop you having your own opinion on matters and I have no issue with you sharing them.

Yes it can get hot here if you are in a minority sometimes but thats part of the enjoyment. I am more than able to defend my views so please carry on

My Flickr
Jim Ford (7th October 2018), Naughty Nigel (8th October 2018), OM USer (8th October 2018), Zuiko (8th October 2018)
Old 7th October 2018

Liked 553 Times in 285 Posts

Every member of this forum, be it an admin, senior/junior member or any rating you may have, is entitled to give their own personal views as long as it is done without malice and with respect.
I love to read the threads in this forum and thoroughly enjoy the banter, word play and often enlightening views of everyone (I even have a little say for myself sometimes) and thanks to you lot, I have learned a great deal too about many subjects. Long may it continue.

That's my ha'penny's worth for today
MJ224 (7th October 2018), OM USer (8th October 2018)
Old 7th October 2018

Thanked 1,129 Times in 706 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Seeing as how John (Zuiko), your post was in reply to one of mine I thought it only right to let you know that I agree with all the others supporting you. This forum and this thread make it clear what goes on here. The fact that you are an admin doesn't stop you having your own opinion on matters and I have no issue with you sharing them.

Yes it can get hot here if you are in a minority sometimes but thats part of the enjoyment. I am more than able to defend my views so please carry on

@ Wornish: Point taken

Perhaps we should take it out on the real real culprits? Given certain individuals are responsible for causing this discussion and, others like it? A verbal Spitting Images version would seem appropiate.

Any takers? I visited my local MP and asked a simple question where the answer was to be Yes or No? Five verbage filled hours later, not only could I not remembered the question, nor what day it was and am still awaiting the answer.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

MJ224 (7th October 2018), Naughty Nigel (8th October 2018)
Old 7th October 2018

Liked 570 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:

Am I right in saying about the ones who voted for Brexit Out, are in the minority on this forum? I am not sure who they are, but I find your posts witty and informative.....only saying whereas mine tend to be lacking in wit

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Old 8th October 2018

Liked 570 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
@ Wornish: Point taken

Perhaps we should take it out on the real real culprits? Given certain individuals are responsible for causing this discussion and, others like it? A verbal Spitting Images version would seem appropiate.

Any takers? I visited my local MP and asked a simple question where the answer was to be Yes or No? Five verbage filled hours later, not only could I not remembered the question, nor what day it was and am still awaiting the answer.
Going back to the days when everything crashed and then austerity, dark days, angst and disappointments, I had an Icelandic bank account on the Isle of Man which, at the time, was frozen by the Labour Government using terrorist legislation. I couldn't move it fast enough. I wrote to HM Treasury, Alistair Darling and Gordon Brown to complain and all I got from them was a political statement, no help at all. The only one to help was my local MP, a Conservative. He was accessible, practical, down to earth and lobbied all of them, one by one. I joined a pressure group and we had to go to court on the island. Eventually we won and got our money back from the Administrators, even though it took 10 years. Some were worse off and had put their life savings in, some must have died waiting. So what ever side they are on, not all MP's are .........feel free to fill in the words

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Naughty Nigel (8th October 2018), wornish (8th October 2018)
Old 8th October 2018

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
Gosh, I'm surprised this forum displays such a political bias from it's Administrators.

I'm a member of quite a few forums and never experienced political bias from staff such as displayed here. Most of the forums I frequent on a regular basis insist on a neutral stance from staff. I'm not really a political female but have to admit I find the bias here slightly uncomfortable in what is essentially a photographic forum. Only my personal opinion of course, so feel free to disagree guys, I can take it

Rebecca
Criticism of present government policy and actions is not the same as expressing a political bias, although such expressions often come across that way. That applies just as much now as at any time in the past.

And as Jim often says, beware of fascism (and even BMW drivers) waving the Red Flag.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Gate Keeper (8th October 2018)
Old 8th October 2018

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Going back to the days when everything crashed and then austerity, dark days, angst and disappointments, I had an Icelandic bank account on the Isle of Man which, at the time, was frozen by the Labour Government using terrorist legislation. I couldn't move it fast enough. I wrote to HM Treasury, Alistair Darling and Gordon Brown to complain and all I got from them was a political statement, no help at all. The only one to help was my local MP, a Conservative. He was accessible, practical, down to earth and lobbied all of them, one by one. I joined a pressure group and we had to go to court on the island. Eventually we won and got our money back from the Administrators, even though it took 10 years. Some were worse off and had put their life savings in, some must have died waiting. So what ever side they are on, not all MP's are .........feel free to fill in the words
MP's in opposition are often far more willing to get stuck in than those in power - for obvious reasons.

The problem we had with Teflon Tony was that he had a very safe seat - the Labour strategists made sure of that - so he really didn't give a monkeys about his constituency.

Meanwhile, just down the road in Darlington, Alan Milburn won by a slim margin and spent money like water to keep his seat including building a brand new general hospital which has never been used as intended.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Gate Keeper (8th October 2018)
Old 9th October 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,605 Times in 927 Posts

“Reality Bites”:

Most studies seek to calculate the economic impact of the various degrees of Brexit. The U.K. Treasury puts the damage at as much as 6 percent of GDP. Bloomberg Economics analyst Dan Hanson estimates that the level of U.K. GDP could drop between 3.2 percent and 6.7 percent by 2030, depending on the option chosen.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic..._medium=social

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Jim Ford (9th October 2018)
Old 9th October 2018

Just to add a little bit of balance

#Despite Brexit

https://order-order.com/2018/10/09/b...o-years-early/

My Flickr
Old 9th October 2018

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
'Order-order' - is that the the 'poor man's Breitbart' or Fox News?

Jim
Old 9th October 2018

Liked 3,325 Times in 1,792 Posts

Quote:
Just to add a little bit of balance

#Despite Brexit

https://order-order.com/2018/10/09/b...o-years-early/
A more reliable source?:

https://www.visitbritain.org/forecast

Harold
Old 9th October 2018

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
A more reliable source?:

Yeah - the U.K. is set to become a giant theme park. With summers set to be like the last scorcher, I don't fancy walking around in a suit of armour for tourists!

Jim
Old 9th October 2018

Quote:
A more reliable source?:

Harold
This one must be right

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...urists-in-2018

The message is the same on all three.

This growth is happening #Despite Brexit

but we cant have any good news can we?

My Flickr
MJ224 (10th October 2018), Naughty Nigel (9th October 2018)
Closed Thread