Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Site news

Site news Updates concerning the operation of this site.

Old 4th February 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts
Exclamation Finalised competition rules and schedule

Hi all, first of all apologies for the late posting of final rules and schedule for the E-30 'Beauty of Winter' photo contest.

The following is just a clarification of previous postings. The main difference is that the dates for the entry deadline and the details for voting and final choice of the winner are revealed and are later than originally planned. This means you have more time to prepare and enter and means I can focus on the competition after I return from the big annual PMA trade show at the beginning of next month.

If you wish to change your posted entries, you can by using the 'edit photo' option to move or delete your entries, but once the entry deadline has passed your entered images (up to 3) will be frozen.

And remember, you can enter up to 3 images, though only one will move forward to the final even if others attract almost as many votes. This is clarified in the rules. If you have any questions, please post them here!

Olympus UK E-System User Group Photo Contest Winter 2008/2009

Rules:

1. The prize, kindly donated by Olympus UK, is an Olympus E-30 DSLR, with Zuiko Digital 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II zoom lens, and HlD-4 power grip.
2. Each person entering the competition can enter up to three images, which must be uploaded to the e-group.uk.net competition gallery here: http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/673. To do this, you need to have previously registered on the e-group.uk.net (e-group) discussion forum and users photo gallery.
3. The deadline for entering images for the competition is Sunday, 8th March, 2009
4. It is recommended that images should be not much larger than 800 pixels along the longest side and not much larger than 200K bytes (in JPEG format)
5. EXIF camera settings data must be preserved in the submitted file or files.
6. Entered images must have been taken using an Olympus brand digital camera, either an E-System DSLR or other Olympus compact or bridge camera.
7. The theme for images entered is 'The Beauty of Winter'.
8. After the closing date for entries, there will be a two week period of voting by e-group members.
9. The twelve images attracting the most votes will go forward to the final, where a panel will choose an overall winner.
10. If more than one image from one entrant attracts enough votes to be in top 12, the most popular image will be retained and the other(s) from that entrant will be discarded. Any extra place(s) made available will be filled by images lower down in the order, by order of the most votes tallied.
11. The prize offered is not negotiable and there is no cash alternative on offer.
12. This competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, plus Eire, and dependent islands, like the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands (please contact us if you are unsure of your eligibility). If you are not eligible, please see details of an alternative contest being run in parallel at our sibling site, Four Thirds User.
13. The operators of Olympus UK E-System User Group reserves the right to alter these rules at any time.
14. The decisions made by the operators of the Olympus UK E-System User Group regarding this competition are final.
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com

Last edited by Ian; 4th February 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 4th February 2009
Administrator

Liked 546 Times in 294 Posts
Re: Finalised competition rules and schedule

Ian

I understand the side of giving people more time, but this puts me ( and maybe some others ) in a difficult position

I held off on posting some images I had considered uploading until after the closing date and then did so. People have then commented on them and I have appreciated their comments.

If I was to change to use that picture I would feel that to be in appropriate.

If I don't then I would feel that I am potentially reducing my chances of winning what is after all an excellent prize.

I would therefore respectfully urge you to reconsider the extension. I know others may disagree, but once something is posted as it was I feel it should be stuck to unless there is a specific and sensible reason for such a change

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 4th February 2009

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Ian

I have to agree with Shenstone on this one

I worked to get my images up to the time scale set, we had no snow so that forced me to look at different angles etc... yes I'm still happy with my choice. But I also asked a couple of times for clarity on the subject as the original competition post was called 'images of winter' which I believe has a different interpertation to beauty of winter. But with the recent snow etc I believe people will now have more options to have beauty of winter images.

I just think many of us regulars achieved the target but now that target has moved and it doesn't feel right.

Regards

Dave
Old 4th February 2009

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

hmmm. preservation of EXIF is a tricky one as one of my images is stitched from 3 files so the EXIF is not there in the submitted image but exists in the original files...so I would suggest that if an image enters the top 12 then the EXIF must be provided to satisfy all that the image(s) were taken on an appropriate Olympus camera
Old 4th February 2009

Liked 895 Times in 408 Posts

Ian

I endorse the comments from Shenstone and dbutch

I'd add, unless I am missing something, these rules no longer explicitly say that the pictures need to be taken within the period of the competition.

That and the deadline forced me to go out to get my pictures when and how I did. I thought that was the point.

hope you see our issues as reasonable.

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 4th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ian,

I notice that the original rules stated that the pictures must be taken within the period of the competition, between the 10/11/08 and the closing date but the new rules don't. Is this correct or just missed in the new rules?

Ian C.
Old 4th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also agree witth the comments made above. We have all worked to the original deadlines and within the dates as given. Suddenly we have the goal posts moved. We have just had our best fall of snow for years but I for one didn't take the opportunity to take more photos for the competition as I thought the deadline was 15th January and entries were now closed. OUR SNOW HAS NOW ALL GONE!!

I for one cannot see the need for the competition dates to be changed from the original ones.
Old 5th February 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

Hi all.

I'm sorry that the change in dates has inconvenienced several entrants. Unfortunately. I cannot change the dates, sorry. It's important that the competition attracts as large a number of entries as possible. It's also only fair that as the official rules were only posted yesterday that others may have understandably hesitated to enter.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 5th February 2009

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

I agree with all the above comments re change of rules.

Ian, the details were posted before Christmas and these details included a closing date. The only detail we required after 15th was how the voting was going to proceed.

Snapper..... Has it come back again!?
Old 5th February 2009
Makonde

Had this announcement come three days ago I would have made an effort to get a suitable image during the fresh showfall......
Old 5th February 2009
ndl0071

I have to add my weight to the comments above, I too was under the impression that the closing date was 15/01/09 and worked to this timescale. This was clearly stated in the original rules.

Why the change? What are the motives?

I note Ians comment about having about having as many entries as possible, well have to tell you that I will seriously consider withdrawing mine if a satisfactory conclusion is not reached.

Do these events cast doubts over the credibility of future comps?
Old 5th February 2009

Liked 1,340 Times in 507 Posts

I guess I am happy to go with the new arrangent. Partly because I have swapped one of my shots for a better one. Mainly because I don't have a hope of winning anyway

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 5th February 2009
Xpres

Keep your hair on everyone!
It's my guess that as an E30 is, now, an expensive piece of kit that hasn't had it's proper launch yet, Oly are not going to give one away without making the most of all marketing opportunities of which this is just one. There needs to be many more entries to benefit Oly and the site so the comp', sensibly, has to run during all the e30 marketing campaign.
All well and good but, Ian, I think the goal posts have changed and you should be a little more open about why. Perhaps there could a pause for a mini comp' from those entries received before the 15th with a token prize of a pat on the back, and then a relaunch of the competition.
Old 5th February 2009
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
I guess I am happy to go with the new arrangent. Partly because I have swapped one of my shots for a better one. Pete
I was thinking of swapping out a couple of mine too but it doesn't bother me either way.

Paul
Old 5th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to prolong the debate but here is the original posting of "The Rules". It categorically states closing date 15th January 2009. Admittedly at the beginning of the post it says "Full details and rules will be posted in a few days, but here are the key details:" but a few days from 10th of November 2008 is surely not sometime at the beginning of February 2009.

I would also point out the nowhere in the "original Key details" did it stipulate an image or file size and that the title of the competition was posted as "Images of Winter" which is different to "Beauty of Winter"

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
It certainly looks like the competition announcement has made a lot of people pay attention

Full details and rules will be posted in a few days, but here are the key details:

1. You have plenty of time; entries will close on 15th January 2009, about the time the E-30 is expected to start selling.

2. The competition will, naturally, be photographic in nature and the theme is "Images of Winter".

3. The idea is to encourage you all to get out there using your cameras over the next two months, so pictures should be taken between now and the closing date.

4. Entries will be displayed in a special album on the e-group gallery, so you will need to be a site member (which is free) to be able to enter your picture.

5. You will be able to enter up to 3 pictures.

6. A short list from the entries will be determined and the short listed entries and the winner will be decided from the short list.

7. Site members will have a significant role in deciding who wins - more on that later.

8. You need to use an Olympus digital camera (proof, such as image file exif metadata) will be required, though you won't necessarily have to use a DSLR.

9. Entrants must be residents in the UK or Ireland, and must have full ownership and rights to any entered pictures.

10. Neither Olympus nor The Write Technology Ltd will make any claim over the ownership or exclusive rights to the use of your pictures, but the short listed images may be required for some promotional use - full details will be in the competition rules.

That should be enough to get you going! The full rules will be published here later.

If you have any questions - just post them here.

Good luck, and have fun