Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 6th December 2016

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts
Re: Mirrorless vs DSLR resource?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
When will you be giving the talk and what is the response (once you have given the talk)?
It's not actually a talk, Derek, just a written resource on the Club website.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 7th December 2016

Liked 129 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Photographers are funny people, some are very protective towards their chosen camera as if they've become wedded to a chosen system/manufacturer.

When discussing different systems in terms of sensor size, it makes no sense for one person to say my 35mm camera is full frame, and for another to say my micro four thirds is also full frame (in the sense that it was designed as such) and a third person to say you're both wrong, my medium format is the defacto full frame. However when we discuss such matters (as if it is worthy of discussion) it is helpful to have a baseline, in a sense like the standard metre used in the SI system, it just happens that in photography the 35mm frame is used universally as the reference. Perhaps it should be adopted by the International System d'unites (SI).
I fully agree that 35mm makes a useful standard, I just wish a better term than 'full frame' was used.
Old 27th January 2019

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

an interesting thread, had some lass download some of my photos from a bridge camera and whine that I was using auto focus when photographing some guys running around, some had the sun behind them and the others had the sun in front, so manual was a nice idea, but autofocus quicker and easier. the lass only has FF cameras as everything else are toys for kids...

went for m43 light weight, weather sealing, high burst rate and reasonably affordable camera and lenses
Old 27th January 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,602 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrochemist View Post
I fully agree that 35mm makes a useful standard, I just wish a better term than 'full frame' was used.
Indeed: Given that originally it was a cinematography term for fixing the gate to its maximum size when using 35mm film.

So much is made of having a "Full Frame" system and banging on about high ISO and lately low light capability, while overlooking the simple basics of what photography is...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (27th January 2019), Jim Ford (29th January 2019)
Old 28th January 2019

Liked 246 Times in 153 Posts

Getting rid of mechanical devices, such as the moving mirror, is generally a good idea but it is better if all moving parts are smaller and lighter. Thus, an MFT sensor can be moved more rapidly, to provide better stabilisation than can be achieved by FF. Similarly, the shutter components are smaller, so faster speeds are possible.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (29th January 2019), OM USer (28th January 2019)