Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 14th July 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, nearly ready to jump.

Hi all,
Im a noob to photography and have been reading reviews till my eyes have bled over the last few weeks trying to decide on what camera to buy. I don't want anything big and bulky like a DSLR, it has to be easy to carry around as the MRS. will be using it too (maybe) and I'm more interested in stills than video, at the moment, but wouldn't mind having 4K option. I have narrowed my choices to two models that seem to fit my needs most having settled on the M43 system due to its size and choice of quality & affordable lenses. These two are the Olympus OM D EM5 MKii and the Panasonic GX8. I live in the west of Ireland where it always rains so weatherproofing is probably an important factor also.
At the moment my interests are in using this camera for general family photography, maybe some landscapes(just for myself nothing for commercial purposes) and some street photography & travel.
Anyway that's me, looking forward to being here more often once I make the jump and actually buy one of the above mentioned cameras.
Old 14th July 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Hello, nearly ready to jump.

Will since this is an Olympus forum you're unlikely to get an unbiased answer! Of course the E-M5ii is better:

- Smaller (have you handled the GX8?)
- Prettier
- Better IBIS (by a margin)
- Better handling
- More features (focus stacking, live composite)

Of course the GX8 has a few tricks:
- Higher res sensor (but most people don't think it's a big difference)
- Post focus and stills from video
- Better video

Truth is, you can't go wrong with wrong with either - but the Olympus is better!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Whack01 (14th July 2016)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (14th July 2016)
Old 14th July 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Paul,

I figured the views expressed would be SLIGHTLY biased but it's always good to get the views of people who have the experience and are best placed to express said views. All the reviews I've read say good things about the GX8 but I did see a post on here listing some negative issues and that's what I was looking for to be honest. You can read all the reviews you like but nothing beats experience

I haven't held the GX8 but have read that it is on the big side for a M43 camera which kind of negates one big advantage of going for this system.
Old 14th July 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

In all seriousness, both Olympus and Panasonic make excellent cameras. Different people gravitate different ways. I've not owned a GX8 but I've handled one many times in shops and owned a GX7 for a while. I personally don't gel with Panasonic cameras in the same way I do with Olympus cameras. I think it's the menu system and general handling. However they all take excellent images and IMHO deliver an excellent trade off of image quality vs compactness.

The big downside of the GX8 in my view is its size. I really don't understand why it needs to be so big. The E-M5ii is a lovely size and feels great in the hand. The IBIS on the Oly is great too - way ahead of the GX8.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 14th July 2016

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

Hi,

At present I own an E-M1 (which I realise is a bit bigger than my previous E-M5 and you possible E-M5 II) and a GX7. This works for me as I like having 2 bodies at times, and also find the GX7 smaller and less obvious than my E-M1. It also has a built-in flash unlike the E-M1/5s. So I tend to choose the E-M1 when I need its better image stabilisation, or advanced features like HDR etc, and the GX7 when I want a compact versatile camera.

But an important point to consider is whose lenses you will be looking to buy in the future. I have a mix of Olympus and Panasonic lenses since until very recently each tended to have holes in their ranges (although they are now starting to resolve this). But Panasonic lenses will usually provide image stabilisation and work better on Panasonic bodies, while Olympus lenses usually don't have IS (as they are designed to be used on an Olympus body which will provide it). The software image enhancements in the camera body also seem to work better when the lens and body are made by the same company too.

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
The Following User Says Thank You to CJJE For This Useful Post:
Whack01 (14th July 2016)
Old 14th July 2016

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts

If weatherproofing is important, bear in mind that only some of the lenses are weather sealed.
Old 14th July 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
Hi,

At present I own an E-M1 (which I realise is a bit bigger than my previous E-M5 and you possible E-M5 II) and a GX7. This works for me as I like having 2 bodies at times, and also find the GX7 smaller and less obvious than my E-M1. It also has a built-in flash unlike the E-M1/5s. So I tend to choose the E-M1 when I need its better image stabilisation, or advanced features like HDR etc, and the GX7 when I want a compact versatile camera.

But an important point to consider is whose lenses you will be looking to buy in the future. I have a mix of Olympus and Panasonic lenses since until very recently each tended to have holes in their ranges (although they are now starting to resolve this). But Panasonic lenses will usually provide image stabilisation and work better on Panasonic bodies, while Olympus lenses usually don't have IS (as they are designed to be used on an Olympus body which will provide it). The software image enhancements in the camera body also seem to work better when the lens and body are made by the same company too.
Thanks Chris, very good points also regarding the lenses. I will only have one camera so would like relative compact size but as good IS & image quality possible
Old 14th July 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dorn View Post
If weatherproofing is important, bear in mind that only some of the lenses are weather sealed.
Hi George, weatherproof lenses is something I need to look into more regarding what brand do more etc but taking a break from reviews etc @ moment.
Old 15th July 2016

Liked 1,594 Times in 787 Posts

Another vote for the EM5 Mkii. For the type of photography you want to do I would recommend the 12 - 40mm f/2.8 pro lens. Its weatherproof as well so you are all set for a rainy day.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Whack01 (15th July 2016)
Old 15th July 2016
Senior

Liked 160 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack01 View Post
Hi all,
Im a noob to photography and have been reading reviews till my eyes have bled over the last few weeks trying to decide on what camera to buy. I don't want anything big and bulky like a DSLR, it has to be easy to carry around as the MRS. will be using it too (maybe) and I'm more interested in stills than video, at the moment, but wouldn't mind having 4K option. I have narrowed my choices to two models that seem to fit my needs most having settled on the M43 system due to its size and choice of quality & affordable lenses. These two are the Olympus OM D EM5 MKii and the Panasonic GX8. I live in the west of Ireland where it always rains so weatherproofing is probably an important factor also.
At the moment my interests are in using this camera for general family photography, maybe some landscapes(just for myself nothing for commercial purposes) and some street photography & travel.
Anyway that's me, looking forward to being here more often once I make the jump and actually buy one of the above mentioned cameras.
I don't have the E-M5 MkII, But I do have the E-M1 and the GX8, and they are both very nice cameras, but I prefer the Olympus, because I have got used to seeing the stabilised effect in the viewfinder. Although the GX8 has stabilisation, unfortunately the effect is not visible in the viewfinder.

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaw For This Useful Post:
Whack01 (15th July 2016)
Old 15th July 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Dave. That lense is a good option, little bit more expensive than the standard not supplied but I'm guessing it would be worth the extra outlay.
Old 15th July 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
I don't have the E-M5 MkII, But I do have the E-M1 and the GX8, and they are both very nice cameras, but I prefer the Olympus, because I have got used to seeing the stabilised effect in the viewfinder. Although the GX8 has stabilisation, unfortunately the effect is not visible in the viewfinder.

That's something I didn't know Stewart about the stabilisation in the EVF and not mentioned in any of the reviews I read.
Old 15th July 2016

Liked 1,594 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Dave. That lense is a good option, little bit more expensive than the standard not supplied but I'm guessing it would be worth the extra outlay.
I have this combo. Bought as a bundle. The Pro lenses are superb on the EM5II they allow you to do things like focus bracketing and also HiRes shots, which you can't do with other lenses.

My Flickr
Old 15th July 2016

Liked 936 Times in 593 Posts

Quote:
That's something I didn't know Stewart about the stabilisation in the EVF and not mentioned in any of the reviews I read.
You need to enable it in the menu system somewhere - at least, on the E-M5 Mk1 it's off by default. Very useful feature but I suspect it uses a fair bit of battery power if you keep the button half-pressed for any length of time. O, and welcome to the forum .
Old 15th July 2016
Senior

Liked 160 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
You need to enable it in the menu system somewhere - at least, on the E-M5 Mk1 it's off by default. Very useful feature but I suspect it uses a fair bit of battery power if you keep the button half-pressed for any length of time. O, and welcome to the forum .
I have searched for this in the menu system, with no success, and this extract is from Amateur Photographer review:

Unfortunately, though, the system doesn’t stabilise the viewfinder image to aid focusing and composition, which is particularly useful when shooting with telephotos.

If you have a lens with stabilisation, the effect can be seen in the viewfinder.

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150

Last edited by Shaw; 15th July 2016 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added paragraph