Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 20th July 2015

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts
ghosting and focus problems with protection filter on 40-150 pro

I spent a great day at RIAT yesterday and was delighted with the performance of the 40-150 pro on my EM-5 mk2 but had a couple of focus / IQ problems which I would appreciate your thoughts on.

As it was dusty with loads of soot in the air (a wonderful warm gale from the Vulcan is it taxied past for example ) I put a Hoya pro protection filter on the end.

I noticed a lot of the images of distant aircraft shot into the bright sky with the sun at about 30 degrees to the lens showed ghosting and lost of sharpness, occasionally losing focus entirely. Has anyone else experienced this?

Another "funny" was that after a series of OOF shots I spotted that I had been fiddling with the LN button settings the day before and left it set to digital TC and when I saw the problem it seemed I had inadvertently pressed the button as I held the lens. Removing the setting resolved the problem (this was with the 1.4 TC attached to the 40-150) The odd thing was that I was getting focus lock confirmation, with the release on focus set active, ie: it shouldn't fire the shutter until lock was confirmed.

Once again I would be interested in hearing whether anyone else has seen this?

Overall, I was delighted with the lens, >70% good focus (only around 10% good pics though )

I must work on my technique hand-holding when shooting over head though - I'm still tending to wave the lens all over the sky at the minute

When these two "problems" were absent I was getting a very