Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 3rd May 2015

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Help please

HiNewbie from Hertfordshire, this is my first post, so hope it's in the right place.
As I explained in my introduction post I am a Canon user so apologies in advance for keep banging on about Canon but it's all I have to use as a comparison.

I am so glad to have found this site and been checking on the post,s which have been a great deal of info and far better than the instruction manual. I recently purchased a used PEN EPL 5 + the 14 - 42 kit lens. The reason for the purchase being that I wanted to try 4/3 system and different manufacturer than Canon, after some research I decided on the EPL 5.

I have the camera for about a week and have been very impressed. I like to shoot HDR Landscapes and have my HDR set up stored on my Canon Powershot G15 as a custom setting triggered by the PASM dial designated as C1 setting on the dial.

I would like to replicate on the EPL 5 as a Myset and have found the following problems.

To start Canon HDR settings are as follows
F8 @ 1/200 sec 3 shot bracket ISO 100 ( lowest setting ). 2 sec shooting delay.

In trying to replicate on to EPL 5 I find the following problems.
To start As I want to dial in specific F no & shutter speed have to be in M mode which is not a problem.
I can set the 3 shot HDR bracket no problem, however it would appear that the HDR bracketing also goes into the PAS settings, I find this a little strange as I am only working in M mode, also I read that with HDR engaged this disables the delayed shooting option, I use it to avoid camera shake so also find this a little strange. I think I can overcome delayed shooting by the tap screen ( which I think is brilliant ) to take the shot. ISO setting no problem.

So far I have managed to save the above settings as Myset 1, however I Have only been able to save against Fn bottom but it only works when Fn button is pressed, I do not want to have to press the Fn button to enable the Myset to work.

I do not shoot in P mode so want to use P mode as my Myset mode. I have tried to do this through the Button dial designation and cannot save Myset to a designated mode.

Hope someone can advise, apologies for this being a bit of a ramble.

Pip.
Old 5th May 2015

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Help please

I don't have an EPL5 but have an EPM2 which is similar and have set it up to duplicate your settings.
As you say the self timer and anti shock setting are disabled and the function button has to be held to enable the my set. Unfortunately as you have discovered Olympus do not provide a custom setting position on the mode dial and other unused modes cannot be reassigned on any of their bodies AFAIK.
I cannot suggest a quick way of getting the camera set as you would like unfortunately without getting a different body.
I also have the EM10 and the function button when set to my set is press for on, press for off which is what you would like.
On the EM10 the self timer is still disabled in hdr mode but can be set up to be controlled remotely by a smartphone Via internal wifi.
The Panasonic GX7 has custom setting positions on the mode dial but I don't know if it has a hdr mode.
Sorry I can't tell you that the EPL5 will do what you want!
Old 5th May 2015

Liked 866 Times in 242 Posts

Hi Pip
I used to have the E-PL5 and seem to remember there is a way to assign your mysets to the dial i.e. in place of Art or Scene etc...
I seem to remember it was under the button/dial (cog) menu and called dial function mode or something like that???
Good luck!

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to IainMacD For This Useful Post:
PaulB (5th May 2015)
Old 5th May 2015

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Hehehe, you learn something every day! Iains comment got me searching.

http://http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/52-epl5-mymodes.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks Iain!!

Last edited by PaulB; 5th May 2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: adjust link, thank Iain!
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulB For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (5th May 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (5th May 2015)
Old 5th May 2015

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Hi Paul & Iain

Thanks for your replies, I was quite disappointed when I read Paul,s first post but then when I got Iains I went on line and found the post that Paul sent me the link to and was going to post to you, what a fantastic piece it is. I have copied it and it will live in my Camera bag. I now have my HDR setings programmed to the P mode on the top dial, great.

I was away for a wedding in Suffolk at the weekend and managed a little bit of time with my PEN, I really love my Canon G15 and it will take some thing special to compare with it in my mind, I think the PEN could do it.

My first impressions are that the Olympus engineers like to take a quite simple proceedure and make it very convoluted and send you thro far to many menu,s to set it up or is that just me ?.

I took a Sunset shot at the weekend which was not very good, I then took the same shot with the Sunset scene employed wow what a difference.

I have posted a few of the weekend shots on my Flick account link below if you want to take a look.

Once again thanks for taking the time to reply and please look out for many more post,s as I come to terms with this camera.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pipvye/

Cheers.

Pip.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
PaulB (5th May 2015), PeterBirder (5th May 2015), Zuiko (5th May 2015)