Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 17th September 2013

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,979 Posts
A Walk on the Wild Side

This is my second shoot with the XZ-1 down Melbourne's Hosier Lane.
Many new artworks have replaced some that I shot on my first visit last August.

Much of the work is high above street level and could only have been reached from a cherry-picker
(or by otherwise getting high on dope )

I'm lost for words that describe the energy that flows through this alleyway.
What motivates these young artists and how can they afford the spray paint, I wondered.

Their draftsmanship, their sense of colour and design is amazing.
Personally, I got high on the intoxicating colour - I really relate to this place.
I think it a shame that some of the art has been defaced by the untalented 'taggers' who must leave their marks.

The entire pavement has been painted reminding me of a house roof I was once contracted to paint by a Greek property manager.
As the price was cut to the bone I used a spray gun to save time and added a few extra litres of water to the paint to save money.
Unfortunately I forgot about overspray and the whole front lawn and driveway turned sky blue resulting in a career change!

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 17th September 2013
Floribunda

Re: A Walk on the Wild Side

You know this isn't my cup of tea Mark, but the colours are lovely and I enjoyed your narrative and you have captured it all beautifully.
Did you engage in conversation with the youngsters in the final shot?
Old 18th September 2013

I know it's not your cuppa, Lyn and it would appear not to be anyone else's either!

Didn't get to parley with the youngsters, they were a disabled group on an outing with their carer, but I do empathise with them.

Old 18th September 2013

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

Nice vibrant set, I can see why you liked it so much, it's the photographers dream so much potential to fed the imagination with all the beautiful artwork. It's a shame the taggers feel the need to deface it with their own tag, I always feel the taggers are would be artists without any talent or imagination.

We have a street in London with a similar look called Leake Street which runs underneath the famous Waterloo Station, it's a council approved Artist friendly street with an ever changing canvas of images and even here the taggers think it's good to deface the works of art.

Thanks for posting these Mark I'd love to see some more.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 18th September 2013
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
I know it's not your cuppa, Lyn and it would appear not to be anyone else's either!

Didn't get to parley with the youngsters, they were a disabled group on an outing with their carer, but I do empathise with them.
I am sure others will comment Mark. The forum has hit one of it's busy spells and takes some keeping up with.
Old 18th September 2013

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

I'm surprised you didn't get more comments on these fantastic vibrant photos Mark, a Walk on the Wild Side is just the tonic to get the creative juices flowing.

I for one would love to see some more

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
The Following User Says Thank You to tomphotofx For This Useful Post:
bowtie57 (18th September 2013)
Old 18th September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomphotofx View Post
Nice vibrant set, I can see why you liked it so much, it's the photographers dream so much potential to fed the imagination with all the beautiful artwork. It's a shame the taggers feel the need to deface it with their own tag, I always feel the taggers are would be artists without any talent or imagination.

We have a street in London with a similar look called Leake Street which runs underneath the famous Waterloo Station, it's a council approved Artist friendly street with an ever changing canvas of images and even here the taggers think it's good to deface the works of art. Thanks for posting these Mark I'd love to see some more. Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomphotofx View Post
I'm surprised you didn't get more comments on these fantastic vibrant photos Mark, a Walk on the Wild Side is just the tonic to get the creative juices flowing. I for one would love to see some more
Tom
I'm surprised that one of you Londoners (perhaps Anne or John) hasn't posted a take on Leake Street, unless I've missed some.
I remember Waterloo Station as a wide-eyed tourist on my way to Islington (was it?) but I doubt that there was such a thing as Street Art then, in 1990.
As for the lack of comment I suspect that aside from the likes of you and me, we are a pretty conservative group as we found from our Photoshopped Art that drew mute responses from the most of our peers.

I think it was Lord Byron who wrote, "... Full many a flower is born to blush unseen and waste its sweetness on the desert air ..."

Thanks for the resuscitation, Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
I am sure others will comment Mark. The forum has hit one of it's busy spells and takes some keeping up with.
Thank you Lyn, perhaps that's the case but never mind, as we all know some posts click, others don't.

And btw, I'm sure we are all waiting eagerly to see what goodies you brought home from FNQ ... or have I missed some