Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #106  
Old 6th June 2012
StephenL's Avatar
StephenL StephenL is offline
Senior Pixelmonger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Yorkshire Dales
Posts: 9,863
Thanks: 984
Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Likes: 658
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
At least they cleaned it! Has it been returned yet?
Unfortunately, yes
__________________
Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (6th June 2012)
  #107  
Old 6th June 2012
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,191
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Likes: 3,448
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
John....

Scotland, or at least my part of it, never appeared to have any celebrations - I think it's all part of the SNP master plan of having our own king Salmond 1st on our own saltire throne!

I was in town a couple of times at the weekend, and also nipped off early from work on Tuesday, and saw absolutely nothing at all; not even a union jack in sight anywhere.....

Work said to us, the office is officially closed....... but feel free to work if you wish! Work that one out......
There certainly seems to be added impetus recently for Scottish independance and maybe the lack of interest in the Jubilee celebrations is symptomatic of that. I can see the attraction of independance for the Scot's and my view is that it is for them and them alone to decide. Whether or not that would include the English monarch in the same role as other Commonwealth countries (or even if Scotland would wish to be part of the Commonwealth) is something that would have to be decided.

As for work, that seems to be a rather dark hint along the lines of "you're entitled to the day off but may choose not to take it if you know what's good for you."
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 7th June 2012
Rocknroll59 Rocknroll59 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ipswich
Posts: 1,405
Thanks: 2
Thanked 156 Times in 138 Posts
Likes: 9
Liked 445 Times in 215 Posts
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Well i'm just back from a bumper double celebration week-end..my daughter was married on Saturday 2nd !! and then we used her home in Tunbridge Wells to visit London on Tuesday and Wednesday, so quite a busy hectic time.
Not read all of the comments on the posting's here but just to say we really enjoyed the whole thing, normally something i'd watch on the TV, but by all accounts the event was well received even more so by the thousands of overseas visitors .....

Watching events unfold on Trafalgar Sq.


Plenty of flags over Admiralty Arch


Into the spirit of things...




Pity the poor people trapped inside these Loo's rather inconsiderate of the MP


We were lucky enough to be funnelled after the procession onto the front of the palace...


The Red Arrows almost on top of us..


Nest day it was off to find out a bit more on my Great Great Great Great Grandfather, (I might have missed a few great here) on my Mum's side..

The Church is quite old near Oxford Street..St Giles in the Fields...has a memorial plaque..plus just up the road a blue plaque where he used to work..



[CENTER][/CENTER



Then the last day we managed to get into the two galleries on Trafalgar Sq, and we also witnessed the Beating Retreat band marching from the Barracks on Birdcage Walk. What a sound they made as well.




Sorry for the long thread but thoroughly enjoyed our trip..

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 7th June 2012
Macpics
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Excellent photos. There must be so many that never make it out of the camera so it's great that you did this. I'm as guilty as anyone....I never made it out of the house !
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 7th June 2012
LMGruchy's Avatar
LMGruchy LMGruchy is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Essex
Posts: 724
Thanks: 152
Thanked 63 Times in 60 Posts
Likes: 17
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Lovely photos.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 7th June 2012
gregles gregles is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,176
Thanks: 614
Thanked 396 Times in 381 Posts
Likes: 175
Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Just 17 miles from Carlisle we had a few Union Jacks fluttering, an evening bonfire and fireworks too

It was actually quite cool to watch beacons lighting up on both sides of the Solway Firth, representing the English and Scottish sides of the border. At one point we could see five beacons including ours.

Lesley thawing out at the beacon/bonfire.


We had a pretty decent firework display too.


At one point a figure with a hat appeared to be trying to get out of the flames, embellished a little, but only a little in pp


I remember back to the silver jubilee of 1977. Dad was awarded a commemorative medal in recognition of his work with Age Concern Scotland
It never saw the light of day as Dad would not recognise Elizabeth as Elizabeth the second of Scotland . Mum still has it but it remains hidden in a drawer

Oh and we just had great news Our Liam is now playing with Queen of the South Under 19s a considerable step up from Gretna. I am sure even my Dad would have had a smile at that

Greg
__________________
My Flickr Home Page
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 7th June 2012
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,191
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Likes: 3,448
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
Well i'm just back from a bumper double celebration week-end..my daughter was married on Saturday 2nd !! and then we used her home in Tunbridge Wells to visit London on Tuesday and Wednesday, so quite a busy hectic time.
Not read all of the comments on the posting's here but just to say we really enjoyed the whole thing, normally something i'd watch on the TV, but by all accounts the event was well received even more so by the thousands of overseas visitors .....

Watching events unfold on Trafalgar Sq.


Plenty of flags over Admiralty Arch


Into the spirit of things...




Pity the poor people trapped inside these Loo's rather inconsiderate of the MP


We were lucky enough to be funnelled after the procession onto the front of the palace...


The Red Arrows almost on top of us..


Nest day it was off to find out a bit more on my Great Great Great Great Grandfather, (I might have missed a few great here) on my Mum's side..

The Church is quite old near Oxford Street..St Giles in the Fields...has a memorial plaque..plus just up the road a blue plaque where he used to work..



[CENTER][/CENTER



Then the last day we managed to get into the two galleries on Trafalgar Sq, and we also witnessed the Beating Retreat band marching from the Barracks on Birdcage Walk. What a sound they made as well.




Sorry for the long thread but thoroughly enjoyed our trip..

Peter

Hi Peter,

What a stunning set of pictures, and bonus points for the shot of the Queen!

Very interesting about your ancestor Thomas Earnshaw, it appears he was quite a star in his day. I seem to remember reading somewhere previously (it might have been at Greenwich Museum) that the invention of the marine chronometer revolutionized marine navigation.

Back to the pictures; I'm having real difficulty picking out a favourite because they are all so very, very good!
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Rocknroll59 (8th June 2012)
  #113  
Old 7th June 2012
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,191
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Likes: 3,448
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post
Just 17 miles from Carlisle we had a few Union Jacks fluttering, an evening bonfire and fireworks too

It was actually quite cool to watch beacons lighting up on both sides of the Solway Firth, representing the English and Scottish sides of the border. At one point we could see five beacons including ours.

Lesley thawing out at the beacon/bonfire.


We had a pretty decent firework display too.


At one point a figure with a hat appeared to be trying to get out of the flames, embellished a little, but only a little in pp


I remember back to the silver jubilee of 1977. Dad was awarded a commemorative medal in recognition of his work with Age Concern Scotland
It never saw the light of day as Dad would not recognise Elizabeth as Elizabeth the second of Scotland . Mum still has it but it remains hidden in a drawer

Oh and we just had great news Our Liam is now playing with Queen of the South Under 19s a considerable step up from Gretna. I am sure even my Dad would have had a smile at that

Greg
More superb pictures, Greg. I particularly like the fireworks.

Your Dad may not have appreciated that medal but he must have worked hard to have been awarded it and that's what really counts. Whatever your own views on the medal you must be very proud of him.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
gregles (7th June 2012)
  #114  
Old 7th June 2012
Adal Adal is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Watford
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Few from me..with the recent 50-200mk1

All taken during Jubilee celebrations in Eastcote garden using E3+50-200mk1
resized, bordered with a mild pp in PS.



















any suggestions/comments welcome.

Adal
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 7th June 2012
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,191
Thanks: 1,991
Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Likes: 3,448
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts
Re: Few from me..with the recent 50-200mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adal View Post
All taken during Jubilee celebrations in Eastcote garden using E3+50-200mk1
resized, bordered with a mild pp in PS.



















any suggestions/comments welcome.

Adal
Love the old cars, especially the Hillman Minx convertible bedecked with all the bunting. It brings back fond memories as my Dad used to have a saloon. If I could have my pick, however, it would have to be the E-Type.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 8th June 2012
Rocknroll59 Rocknroll59 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ipswich
Posts: 1,405
Thanks: 2
Thanked 156 Times in 138 Posts
Likes: 9
Liked 445 Times in 215 Posts
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Thanks John for the kind comments....you never really know if the pics you are taking will be good enough especially as it was pretty manic on the day, I have always admired your work so feel very honoured that you consider them to be that good, and the one's taken around the palace the rain had started and people were pushing and shoving....and I had a ITV crew right behind me pushing a big HD lens into my back !!

My long lost relation Thomas Earnshaw brought the owning of the chronometer to the masses (well the navy masses) and this allowed Gt Britain to embark on the discovery of the world as we know it today...I cannot remember whether it's latitude or longtitude that he cracked, but his chronometers were used (or the basic workings) up until GPS arrived...

I see that you are looking to get a few people together this month in Essex, I would love to join up if time allows so I'll see how things pan out...

Cheers
Peter
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 8th June 2012
Adal Adal is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Watford
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Few from me..with the recent 50-200mk1

Thanks for your comments John. I am glad the pics fondled your memories and wish I had known more about these cars. I was definitely
fascinated by the COLOURS of the celebrations. I see more of that through Olympus gear, not sure if many agree with this.

regards,
Adal
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 8th June 2012
Barkly's Avatar
Barkly Barkly is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canberra ACT Australia
Posts: 944
Thanks: 3
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
Likes: 8
Liked 154 Times in 67 Posts
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Enjoyed all of these - some iconic pics - loved the formal pics of the Family on the terrace but to me the E-type - yeah very British and the MG.
__________________
Terry
Canberra - The Nation's Capital
E-620 plus stuff
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VIDEO: How to add one of your images to a thread from directly within the thread theMusicMan The lounge 2 10th July 2015 09:03 PM
Bumper day for butterflies Ann1e Foto Fair 4 5th August 2009 09:16 AM
My 365 Thread Chillimonster The lounge 26 5th January 2009 10:52 AM
Jubilee Bridge photonutter Looking for improvement 6 21st February 2008 11:56 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:44 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger