Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 31st May 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I thought Bank Holidays were enacted by acts of Parliament, and therefore you are entitled to them by statute. Nobody can legally deprive you of your entitlement to them - not even a Laird!

Jim
No, it all depends on your contract. The only holidays you must get by law are 20 days per year for a full-time employee. Look at Police, Armed Forces etc.
They don't get bank holidays.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 31st May 2012

Liked 378 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I thought Bank Holidays were enacted by acts of Parliament, and therefore you are entitled to them by statute. Nobody can legally deprive you of your entitlement to them - not even a Laird!

Jim
From the CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) -

Time off work on bank and public holidays

Although many workers are given time off work on bank and public holidays, your employer is not required by law to allow you time off work on these days. And if they do give you the time off, they do not have to pay you for this time off. However, your contract of employment may give you the right to time off work on bank and public holidays. If so, it will also specify whether this time off will be paid or not.

Although there are some exceptions, most workers have the right to take 5.6 weeks' paid holiday from work. This is called statutory holiday.

To work out how many days paid statutory holiday you can take a year, you need to multiply 5.6 by the number of days you work in a week.

For example:
•if you work a five-day week, you are entitled to 28 days' paid holiday a year (5.6 X 5).
•if you work 2.5 days a week, you are entitled to 14 days' paid holiday a year (5.6 X 2.5).

The maximum amount of statutory paid holiday you can be entitled to is 28 days in one leave year. This applies even if you work more than five days a week.

If your employer gives you bank or public holidays off, they will count towards your statutory holiday unless your employment contract specifically says that you get bank or public holidays on top of your statutory holiday.

In England and Wales, there are eight bank and public holidays. In Scotland, there are nine bank and public holidays. In Northern Ireland, there are ten bank and public holidays.

Your employment contract may give you bank or public holidays off on top of your statutory holiday. For example, if you work five days a week, and get 28 days' holiday a year, you would get 28 days plus eight bank and public holidays. This makes a total of 36 days altogether. Your contract should tell you whether or not you are paid for the bank/public holidays.

Regards,
Ann1e
The Following User Says Thank You to Ann1e For This Useful Post:
StephenL (1st June 2012)
Old 1st June 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Thanks, Annie. As we are a) in Scotland and b) classed as agricultural workers our holiday entitlement is slightly different (less) but that's by the by. The bank-holiday principle is the same.

As this is getting very much off-thread, may I suggest that we end discussions on Bank Holiday entitlement, and thanks to all who have expressed concern

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 1st June 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Thanks, Annie. As we are a) in Scotland and b) classed as agricultural workers our holiday entitlement is slightly different (less) but that's by the by. The bank-holiday principle is the same.

As this is getting very much off-thread, may I suggest that we end discussions on Bank Holiday entitlement, and thanks to all who have expressed concern
It made a nice little interlude (and educational, too) whilst we wait for the Jubilee festivities to begin. My daughter is ill at the moment, I hope she will be well enough to enjoy the weekend.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st June 2012

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

What a fabulous idea.
I thought I would get an early one in. On Monday night I took my new love, hope my husband doesn't see this, up to Dunstable Downs at sunset to try out its low light capabilities.

They have been preparing for the beacon lighting next Monday so I took a few snaps. Not technically taken over the Jubilee weekend but hopefully acceptable for this thread.

Old 1st June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
What a fabulous idea.
I thought I would get an early one in. On Monday night I took my new love, hope my husband doesn't see this, up to Dunstable Downs at sunset to try out its low light capabilities.

They have been preparing for the beacon lighting next Monday so I took a few snaps. Not technically taken over the Jubilee weekend but hopefully acceptable for this thread.

That's just what we want, Shirley, it helps get us in the mood for the Jubilee. You can test the E-M5 low light capabilities even more on Monday, when they light the beacon! Not quite sure how the E-3 will cope when they light ours.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st June 2012
Administrator

Our village has its event tomorrow, so I hope the BBC weather forecast for this area is correct; it shows Saturday being dull and cloudy but dry, with rain moving in on Sunday. Our event will be held on the village green and the adjacent road will be closed. The theme is "A Royal Day At The Races," with live TV broadcast from Epsom. We will be able to buy race cards and Great Easton Groats with which to bet and there will be prizes for the best dressed race goers (won't be me ) and biggest winners (still won't be me ). There will also be other stalls and activities around the green; my wife will be face painting. Later there will be a Royal Epsom Feast, followed by a live band in the evening.

The challenge for me will be to capture some of the essence and spirit of the occasion in photographs. I still can't decide whether to use the E-3 (more flexible with greater lens range but large and heavy) or the E-PL1 with just a 14-45mm (less flexible but smaller, lighter and more discreet). Perhaps I'll decide in the morning when I see what the weather is actually like!

Old 1st June 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

That's a beautiful shot Shirley.I love the way you've caught the reflected sunlight on the post and the effect of the band of haze on the horizon is magical.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 1st June 2012

Liked 3,124 Times in 887 Posts

A very effective shot taken in beautiful lighting Shirley. That looks like one of the beacons organised by local lad Bruno Peek. They are all over the country now and I have the feeling that in a few years time small boys will be asking their fathers "what's that daddy?" Daddy will reply "they are called beacons and were put there in the 'olden days' so that people could contact each other before they had telephones."

Ron
Old 2nd June 2012
Floribunda

I can't wait to see photos of the beacons lit. Aussie children were taught a lot of British history of course, and I can remember many stories of the beacons along the coast.
How lovely having all these festivities planned.
Old 2nd June 2012

Liked 563 Times in 206 Posts

My plans for the Jubilee Weekend went completely belly-up on Thursday when I received an email about this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-18294929 (I''m of a certain age).

I will however try to get out and about over the next few days to take some pictures of local events.
Old 2nd June 2012

Liked 563 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
What a fabulous idea.

That is a lovely picture. If your husband does see your post don't cite me as being involved in your new love - I only put an ad up
Old 3rd June 2012

Liked 855 Times in 282 Posts

I'll follow Shirley's stunning pic with another.

Anne in the rain with the appropriate attire.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 3rd June 2012

Liked 1,337 Times in 506 Posts

Well, this afternoon we thought we would go down to the park in Noobry to see what was going one. We chose our moment very carefully and got totally absolutely completely SOAKED...

We didn't get anywhere near this wet in the Lakes last week... So we've retired hurt to sit in front of the TV where it's nice and dry.

Anyway I put this strip together: E-M5 (waterproof) and 45mm (not waterproof) and old Snaarman (definitely not waterproof)..

Pete

PS. An hour later: Sunshine :-)

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 3rd June 2012

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

It came on the T.V. (as a background to messing about on here) and is now replaced by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...would rather look at Katherine Ross than the old prunes in the parade...Yes I am an moany old G**.
Come to think of it I would rather look at Paul Newman and Robert Redford ......

As for the presenters....I am sure they have been told if they toady around there could be a Knighthood in it.

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade but ....

p.s. love Shirleys pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........