Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 23rd December 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to AlistairJ
Photivo

Hi all,

I've just come across "photivo" which is a free and open source photo processor.

http://photivo.org/photivo/start

Seems pretty good at first glance, based on the same raw conversion engine as ufraw but more user-friendly. I have downloaded the 64-bit Win7 version. Lots to investigate and learn and no time at the moment so will come back to it.

Anyone else going to try it?

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 29th December 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Photivo

I've been trying this out. Its not particularly familiar in the way the user interface works, there are lots of tabs and small buttons. Basically these all supply settings and options for the underlying image processing pipe.

First off, read the manual (RTM). You can't really do anything until you understand the basics: http://photivo.org/photivo/manual/using_photivo

The tutorials on the wiki are not yet complete but there is enough to get started on. There is a known limitation processing large images on 32-bit systems, documented somewhere. There are workarounds for this or you could just buy a more modern poota!

I started trying to process an E-5 raw file, to arrive at a JPEG that looked identical to the in-camera JPEG, and to save these settings as a .PTS file for use as a default setup. So I opened the .ORF file then:

In the camera tab, loaded the external ICC profile for the Olympus E-5 from the >profiles>standard> folder. Set the white balance to <camera>

In the geometry tab there are lots of tools for rotation and cropping, distortion correction, lensfun etc. No need to change anything here, but the output JPEG will be larger than the in-camera JPEG, because the program crops less from the raw file edges. You can set the crop to be the same, only it doesn't make sense to do this in a default setup, because you need a different crop for portrait and landscape-mode images. I ended up making two crop presets both at 3072x4096 for portrait and landscape.

Time to get processing, starting in the RGB tab. One option is to use the Auto setting in the Exposure section, perhaps with "Film curve" to bring in the highlights. I set this to "Like ufraw" in my default setup. Apparently the Brighten tool is meant to work as a fill light, to bring up shadow areas. You can also adjust Contrast and Vibrance here.

In the LAB Color/Contrast tab, the Shadows/Highlights section seems to offer some very adjustable controls for clarity. There is a lot of stuff here that needs more investigation. I skipped over all the toys in the EyeCandy sections and left everything at their defaults. Will come back to try some of these later!

Finally in the output tab, I loaded "Olympus" into Basecurve. It wouldn't let me append this setting to my .PTS file but I got around this by very slightly modifying the Olympus curve and then saving it as a manual one. There is another "post gamma" Curves adjustment section here that is good for making final tonal adjustments as well as a general contrast control.

Finally, when you click the button to save the image, it generates a 1:4 reduced version by default and also a .PTS file with the same name that contains all of the settings used to generate the JPEG. This can be reloaded either with the original raw file or a different one to replicate all of the steps taken. To generate a full size JPEG right-click this button and select "save full size" instead.

Why have I bothered with all of this? I guess I am just interested in trying to get the most out of my .ORF files.

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 1st January 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Photivo

I noticed that the E-5 camera profile was way off and switched to using the E-30 profile instead!

alistairj.smugmug.com