Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd December 2011

Thanked 1,131 Times in 707 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts
How to…

spot a dodgy cash machine

Do you think you could spot a hidden camera or card-copying device at a cash machine? Most of us think we probably could but the so-called skimming devices are so sophisticated now that police say they are getting harder and harder for members of the public to spot.

A number of devices have been found on machines in the Borders recently. BBC Scotland's Cameron Buttle has been shown how the devices work and what to look out for when using a cash machine.

BBC News Video Item

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 22nd December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: How to…

I can't say for sure say that it won't ever happen to me - but if my Bank or any Bank machine I take cash from saw what I do to their machines before I even withdraw cash they would probably arrest me ! As for reporting finding such a device forget it,Banks ( they deny it actually happens ) and Police are really not interested. No the best thing to do is take the device and put it on the floor and smash it smithereens with your foot - at least if the perpetrator is watching from a distance they won't be getting any further information form that device - have a nice day

The important thing to do is cover the screen with your hand or purse or whatever as you type your pin in - and if you have requested a paper receipt actually wait for it to print and take it away with you.

Sound advice you say but the number of people I have seen who do not even take the most basic precautions is staggering. And shoulder surfers take tye ultimate risk with me - a quick step[ back,an elbow in the stomach - and a "oh so sorry mate,didn;t see you there" ! with a cheesy grin on your face usually does the trick - be they innocent or not.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 22nd December 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
... No the best thing to do is take the device and put it on the floor and smash it smithereens with your foot - at least if the perpetrator is watching from a distance they won't be getting any further information form that device - have a nice day

Sound advice you say but the number of people I have seen who do not even take the most basic precautions is staggering. And shoulder surfers take tye ultimate risk with me - a quick step[ back,an elbow in the stomach - and a "oh so sorry mate,didn;t see you there" ! with a cheesy grin on your face usually does the trick - be they innocent or not.
I LIKE THIS very much !

esp as Barclaycard Fraud Dept phoned me last Wednesday .. I said "YEAH! we get lots of funny calls, PROVE IT ?" the lady did and I apologised for my disrespect she said "NO dont your RIGHT you should check too many people do not ! ... Anyway she told me I had paid off my whole balance on the 11th Dec ... as evidence she was from B/card ...

Bad news was, she asked "Have you recently been on a BIG shopping SPREE?" ... I replied ... "no ... - I am keeping my balance clear for now" ... "Oooh", she said, "so you have not spent £11,400 in Currys, Herts; and then listed a whole load of transactions in Scotland; India; China and USA ..." later ... I closed my account and cut my current card up ... and finally, 5 days later a new card arrived ... but I cannot use it until the send me and I return the "notices re each purchase" to deny they are my purchases !

They cannot come off my balance until the receive these back ... TODAY these are STILL NOT IN THE POST ... so I have no balance to spend - even if I wanted to ! and I am panicking that they get them off - before interest is caculated ; payments due; statement time on the 14th January
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 22nd December 2011

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
I LIKE THIS very much !

esp as Barclaycard Fraud Dept phoned me last Wednesday .. I said "YEAH! we get lots of funny calls, PROVE IT ?" the lady did and I apologised for my disrespect she said "NO dont your RIGHT you should check too many people do not ! ... Anyway she told me I had paid off my whole balance on the 11th Dec ... as evidence she was from B/card ...

Bad news was, she asked "Have you recently been on a BIG shopping SPREE?" ... I replied ... "no ... - I am keeping my balance clear for now" ... "Oooh", she said, "so you have not spent £11,400 in Currys, Herts; and then listed a whole load of transactions in Scotland; India; China and USA ..." later ... I closed my account and cut my current card up ... and finally, 5 days later a new card arrived ... but I cannot use it until the send me and I return the "notices re each purchase" to deny they are my purchases !

They cannot come off my balance until the receive these back ... TODAY these are STILL NOT IN THE POST ... so I have no balance to spend - even if I wanted to ! and I am panicking that they get them off - before interest is caculated ; payments due; statement time on the 14th January
Commiserations. Something similar, but not for so much money, happened to me some years ago.
I have a few credit cards, so if this was to happen, I would probably have another card to use.
Old 22nd December 2011

Liked 721 Times in 303 Posts

I try to use the cash machine inside the branch whenever possible.
Old 22nd December 2011
pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
I LIKE THIS very much !

I had similar happen to me with Barclaycard!! It ruined my credit rating with them as they were asking me to pay the interest on the debt that had been run up on my credit card and they refused to let it wait until it had all been sorted out, they then reduced the amount they would lend me on my card and it's taken about 5 years to get back to square one!

It was a very stressful time for me and to make it worse I reckon it happened after I had purchased a new camera from Camerabox, who have since gone bust!
Old 22nd December 2011

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Or step back and scrape your heel down their shin.... oops i am clumsy :-)