Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 22nd April 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Brack Linn Falls

Hi All,

First time I've posted here.. Anyways here is an image I took a while back. I didn't think I would post this but here goes..

Been a "little" post processed using 11 exposures..

Comments always welcome

Cheers
Garrie
Old 22nd April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Brack Linn Falls

Fantastic shot- the p-ping makes it
Old 22nd April 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I agree, that's a super PP'ed image Garrie, fantastic shot.

Old 22nd April 2008
ewan

You've done it again Garrie.....magical.
Old 22nd April 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Heavy PP makes it unrealistic and it lacks subtlety. But that's the whole point! When I look at this I see what my own landscapes lack - personal style and originality. It's not just a photograph, it's also a work of art.

Of course, basic photographic skills are amply demonstrated in this shot. The composition is well balanced with plenty of foreground interest and leading lines that transport the eye through the picture. Contrast of colour and tone give the image great depth. Even without any manipulation there is great interest and drama in the sky, so often a weak spot in landscape photographs. As a straight image this would still be excellent.

But your processing skills make this something special. Suddenly the scene is transformed from the ordinary to the extraordinary. The detail and textures in the rocks are amazing, colours sizzle and seem to leap out of the picture. The water especially looks almost surreal.

In my first sentence I stated that this image lacks subtlety, but is that true? Certainly it's bold, dynamic and eye-catching, but nevertheless in a well controlled manner. It would have been so easy to have gone OTT and ruined the image but your obvious processing skills have ensured that while it stretches the boundaries of believability it remains within the realms of reason.

Garrie, I cannot understand why I haven't seen your work in magazines. You may not have an interest in that direction, of course, but most photographers find it gratifying to be published and it does earn a little extra cash. "User Spotlight" in Digital SLR magazine would be a good place to start. It would also be a great endorsement for Olympus cameras.

Guess I've whittled on for long enough, now I'm off to your gallery to save this one to my favourites and give you yet another "10."

John
Old 22nd April 2008
emirpprime

It is a great shot Garrie, but I actually prefere many of your others. I think it is simply a matter of taste, and that I feel some subjects, particularly some of the interiors you find, work wonderfully with this style.
Something with this image just doesn't sit right with me. It doesn't feel like there is enough depth I think. However, it is still well above what I would consider an average photo, and technically very good, especially the use of 11 exposures!
In my eyes you have simply set the bar too high with some of you other pictures!

All the best,
Phil
Old 22nd April 2008
Scapula Memory

I agree with Phil ( emirpprime ) that this shot although nice does not have quite the impact with this type of PP than when it is applied to the moody indoor shots of derelict buildings you have done before.

It looks too heavily post processed with what should be a fairly serene shot. I do admire your technique but feel that this particular image and subject matter does not lend itself well to your usual style of PP.
Old 22nd April 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Odd you should mention it doesn't lend itself to my "normal" approach to PP.

The Post processing in this image is a long long way from the setting I'd normally use with photomatix, infact I was trying to get away from the gritty look and a lot more photoshop was used in this image.

Thanks for the comments

G

Last edited by Garrie; 23rd April 2008 at 02:46 PM.