Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 2nd December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Photo Safari in York... please help?

There is a park and ride on the Ring Road which is closer and may suit depending on the direction you approach York. The railway museum is a great place on a wet day and its free.
Old 2nd December 2007
alert_bri

Thanks Glyn, can you give us a location? I'd appreciate it...

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 2nd December 2007
rich s

Nice pics Brian - you're enjoying your E3 aren't you!
Good to see the people shots as well.
Old 2nd December 2007
alert_bri

Thanks Rich,

I've only recently started to take people shots in the street... it's a bit scary! lol

I took these with the E-3 + Hexanon 57mm f1.2 at f1.2(!) last week, on the train into London... the first is of my friend Andrew, the 2nd is of another passenger - happily in a good mood!

I think this shows the E-3 is more capable, regarding legacy lens support than any previous Olympus DSLR - the improved AE system, together with the larger focusing really helps things.

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 2nd December 2007
clickinhistory

Had to laugh at this, just taken some members of the Fuji site round York last weekend, well i say Fuji, but the majority were all using olympus cameras.

Not only is the city busy, well this weekend was the ST Nicholas Fair and no hotel space was available, the Xmas lights are on so the tourist trade is kicking in again.

My tips from living in the city are, park and ride or train, secure everything as the "borrowers" will be out in force, bring a mono rather than a tripod, look for the lesser known streets and views, York is full of classic views, some better known than others, looking at details rather than big images can be a joy sometimes, allow time for staying till it gets dark, so the lights really jump, in fact when it rains and it gets dark the older parts of the city really come to life.

Some images are available on http://www.clickinhistory14.blogspot.com look back at some of the older pictures for more of the unusal shots as I can not provide the floods, though given the recent rain, that might not be an issue.
Old 2nd December 2007
alert_bri

Thanks very much for the tips... I hadn't considered the "borrowers" - but will remind everyone to be vigilant. We will certainly stick around for some evening shots, and park and ride is a given.

You have some interesting shots on your blog, do you have any from your Fuji group last weekend?

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 2nd December 2007
rich s

Hi - enjoyed looking through your Blog pics. Nice moody and misty at Fountains Abbey - early morning start I guess ...! Which Fuji are you using? - S3 or S5 Pro? Interested to know how you feel colours are handles v Olympus.
Rich S
Old 5th December 2007
clickinhistory

Quote:
Originally Posted by alert_bri View Post
Thanks very much for the tips... I hadn't considered the "borrowers" - but will remind everyone to be vigilant. We will certainly stick around for some evening shots, and park and ride is a given.

You have some interesting shots on your blog, do you have any from your Fuji group last weekend?

Kind Regards

Brian
Brian just posted a few up on the same blog, not had time to really go through them yet.
Old 5th December 2007
clickinhistory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich s View Post
Hi - enjoyed looking through your Blog pics. Nice moody and misty at Fountains Abbey - early morning start I guess ...! Which Fuji are you using? - S3 or S5 Pro? Interested to know how you feel colours are handles v Olympus.
Rich S
LOL Rich, thanks for the kind words. Fountains opens around 10, but it was winter. The pictures on the blog are taken with my old Fuji S5000 and over the last year or so, my Olympus E500.
Prefer the Olympus and yet miss the ease of use of the Fuji sometimes, but the Oly wins in the end.
Old 5th December 2007
alert_bri

I like that first shot of the wheel... have you tried taking any shots from there?

By the way, I've uploaded some more shots from my scouting trip last week here :
http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/york_ph...ec_2007&page=2

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 11th December 2007
alert_bri

Quick update...

Hello everyone,

we had a fantastic event on Saturday, and we're busily compiling a field report now... but just to say, the E-1 and E-3 certainly proved themselves once more as flexible all-weather cams!

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 20th December 2007
alert_bri

Our latest field report is live!

Hello everyone,

we've been working hard to quickly prepare a field report following our latest UK Photo Safari in York... and I'm happy to announce it is ready for you to read here :
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3york.html

Thank you very much to everyone who made the event such a success - we were joined in York by :
Andrew Parsons
Andrew Swan
Rich Simpson
Tom Heslop, and his wife Marie
and last but not least, local photographer Peter Elven (a godsend!)

...apologies by Stephen Elliott who was called to work a weekend shift - unavoidable but sadly missed on the day.

I think the report reads very well, but I'd appreciate your feedback - we're going to be adding some more impressions by Andrew Swan and further photos to the slide show collections in the near future, I will post a message when the report is updated.

We've also decided to include a ProShow Gold presentation at the end of the report, to showcase everyone's best shots from the event - I apologise to all the non-PC using audience, but we're planning to create a compilation DVD to go with our Calendar next year, which will include shows from every event - it should become a very interesting photographic guide to locations in the UK.
Please install the plugin if requested, to view the show - it's quite safe.

Well, that's enough from me, except to say a huge thank you to John Foster of biofos fame, for once again supporting our efforts by creating and hosting this report for us on his site...
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e_3york.html

Merry Christmas everyone! we're planning a massive campaign of growth for Olympus users throughout 2008 - I hope you will consider joining us at an event near you!
Kind Regards

Brian
Old 20th December 2007
PeterD

A beautiful range of images on your site. Thankyou

PeterD
Old 20th December 2007
alert_bri

Thanks Peter, it's not my site... and I hope that we can eventually get together with Ian to do something with one of his sites in the near future. We're an organic group and rely on the kind support of the wider Olympus community...

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 22nd December 2007
alert_bri

Update to York field report...

Hello everyone, just to let you know, we've updated the report with a further section by Marie Predki, and updated the slide show with further shots in the collection by Tom Heslop.

Thanks for your interest, the report has so far been read by over 800 visitors! if you would like to be involved in the planning and support of further events in the future, please feel free to pm me and I will send you more info.

Kind Regards

Brian