Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 15th May 2011

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts
Lightly used Olympus E-1 body (boxed)

Having now bought an unused E-1 from this forum, I'm in the position of sort of wanting to keep my other copy as a back up but knowing that I really don't need yet another camera!

So if you've always wondered why people like me keep banging on about how good these cameras are, here is a chance to spend not a lot and buy yourself a digital classic (not many cameras you can say that about).

I can check but am confident that the shutter count on the service menu will be considerably less than 10,000 so the camera is barely run-in. The latest firmware is installed. It's in great shape and still has all the little covers (hot shoe, rear LCD, etc) that people tend to lose after a while. If you look hard enough you'll find some very minor signs of use but no dents or dings. I think most dealers would rate it as Mint- or possibly Exc++

For those worried about such things, the rubber grips front and rear are both in great shape and there is no sign of them unsticking from the body (a known issue with some E-1s but I think more of a problem in hotter climates).

The camera comes boxed with all the original bits - cables, manuals, software, charger and original Olympus (not generic) battery.

Remember that postage won't be terribly cheap - in the region of 20 for RMSD - so I'm looking to sell for 140 including insured RMSD within the UK. And if you find a problem with it (you won't), I'd be happy to take it back - given I don't really want to sell it in the first place!

Cheers,

Jon
Old 16th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lightly used Olympus E-1 body (boxed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSchick View Post
Having now bought an unused E-1 from this forum, I'm in the position of sort of wanting to keep my other copy as a back up but knowing that I really don't need yet another camera!

So if you've always wondered why people like me keep banging on about how good these cameras are, here is a chance to spend not a lot and buy yourself a digital classic (not many cameras you can say that about).

I can check but am confident that the shutter count on the service menu will be considerably less than 10,000 so the camera is barely run-in. The latest firmware is installed. It's in great shape and still has all the little covers (hot shoe, rear LCD, etc) that people tend to lose after a while. If you look hard enough you'll find some very minor signs of use but no dents or dings. I think most dealers would rate it as Mint- or possibly Exc++

For those worried about such things, the rubber grips front and rear are both in great shape and there is no sign of them unsticking from the body (a known issue with some E-1s but I think more of a problem in hotter climates).

The camera comes boxed with all the original bits - cables, manuals, software, charger and original Olympus (not generic) battery.

Remember that postage won't be terribly cheap - in the region of 20 for RMSD - so I'm looking to sell for 140 including insured RMSD within the UK. And if you find a problem with it (you won't), I'd be happy to take it back - given I don't really want to sell it in the first place!

Cheers,

Jon
Hi Jon,

Coming back into photography after 25 years away, I recently sold my OM2 and bought an E-510 after reading reviews and wanting to stay with Olympus and under 200. Now I've heard about the E-1, E-3 & E-5 I've concluded I can't afford an E-5, nor an E-3 quite yet.

What are the advantages of the E1 over the E-510?
I'm thinking viewfinder parhaps? Anything else major spring to mind?
And what major disadvantages? I'm not that bothered by MP size so
Should I have an E-1 AND an E-510, and if so....why!?

Thanks for any info. Always learning!!

Old 16th May 2011

Well I've not used the E-510 and have a vested interest here so others may wish to help me out with an accurate answer! Things that would come to mind include:

E-1 pro's

Incredibly rugged build which can withstand anything you can sensibly throw at it. I've taken an E-1 on an ocean-going catamaran trip where it got thoroughly soaked and carried on carrying on as if it was out on a calm sunny day. Most consumer level cameras would have given up and died....

Button and dual control dial interface with almost no requirement to delve into menus once you've set things up the way you want

Great handling (at least for me) - it just "fits"

100% viewfinder that will be a significant improvement on the E-510 (but don't expect it to rival your OM - it won't)

Superb colours and dynamic range from that great Kodak sensor - at the time considered by some - including an astonishing review in Amateur Photographer - to give more "film like" images than any other dSLR. Some Oly folk argue the image quality was never the same once they moved from Kodak sensors

Ability to deliver JPEGs that require almost no post processing

Great one touch custom white balance

Super quiet and discrete - very muffled shutter and mirror slap

Where the E-1 now seems dated

Small rear LCD that only offers 4X magnification - useful for little more than checking that you framed the shot correctly

Buffer takes a while to clear when processing RAW images (you can carry on shooting, but it takes a few seconds before you can review)

Image noise at higher ISO (although modern programmes like Lightroom 4 really enable you to go higher than used to be the case - I'm getting decent results now at ISO800 but in the past would have kept to 400

No in body image stabilisation (but the handling and grip is so good that it is surprising how low you can go with handheld shots and good technique)

No built in flash

My two-penceworth

I think that people who "get" the E-1 end up using it a lot more than they think, even if they have a more capable camera. If you can pair it with the 14-54 lens you'll have a great weather-resistant kit for times when the E-510 has to stay indoors. But I bet it will come out to play on the nice days too! I also have a Panasonic GH2 which is clearly more capable than the E-1 (and E-510) in almost every aspect - but I use it on the occasions when the E-1 wouldn't be my first choice; not the other way around....

I don't know if this helps at all?

Jon
Old 17th May 2011

E-1 sold subject to payment. Best wishes, Jon
Old 19th May 2011
gr_aphic

Payment done, many thanks and, sorry again for this setback, Guillaume