Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 20th November 2010

Liked 82 Times in 30 Posts
Wanted: Oly Flash and advice

I wish to experiment more with flash photography and am looking to buy an FL-36 or FL-50. My intention is to use OM lenses on my e-520 for a variety of portraiture and outdoor shots.

I don't have the biggest budget in the world and, at least as I start out, am not sure I need the 'R' wireless version yet.

Grateful for any imput from more experienced members of which flash they prefer and how best to use each model.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 20th November 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Wanted: Oly Flash and advice

Well, I have an FL-50, as well as three Yongnuo YN460-II's.

When I do any off camera work, everything is in manual and I find the YN460's do a really great job. You get to know the power output and can work out what settings to use on a shoot by shoot basis.

The FL-50 is a cracking flash unit, providing full control in all modes.

I guess an 'R' version would, for me, only be a nice to have. I use wireless radio triggers to fire each of the flashes when shooting off-camera.

I am hoping that the weather holds out this evening as I have been asked to do a promo shoot for a heavy/rock /screachy/screamy trio band. We've chosen a derelict farmhouse for the location of the shoot and I am looking forward to it. Off cam flash will be the order of the day.

Old 20th November 2010

I had heard bad things about the YN460s. Maybe I should start looking there.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Old 20th November 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguru View Post
I had heard bad things about the YN460s. Maybe I should start looking there.

Thanks for getting back to me.
They are cheap, mine were only about 35 each, but they are good enough. Performance wise, because I work in full manual, they give off more than enough light to cover my needs. They recycle pretty quickly, and the batteries last for well over a hundred fires.

You pay your money and take your choice though. I did have one that decided to burn out simply by my inserting the batteries Still... I contacted the vendor who sent out a replacement one without even asking for the damaged one back. It still works... but overheats if the batteries are inserted so almost useless.

Some examples with these off cam...

Old 20th November 2010

Great images, John. I really like the tones in the last one.

You mentioned you generally use the YN-460s as slaves, would they work well as my main flash whilst I decide about spending a fortune before committing?
Old 20th November 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguru View Post
Great images, John. I really like the tones in the last one.

You mentioned you generally use the YN-460s as slaves, would they work well as my main flash whilst I decide about spending a fortune before committing?
Yes, but only in manual though. There's no real communication between the Oly and the flash.

Manual would be cool though. Just set the shutter to anything up to 1/200th, the aperture around f9 and fire away. Adjust accordingly for what you need.