Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 25th February 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,757 Times in 793 Posts
Focus show news

This is a repeat of what I have just posted on FTU (apologies if you've already seen it there )

The biggest attraction on the stand is a pre-production 14-35 f/2 SWD. It's normally locked inside a cabinet on teh stand but I saw it come out to be handled by visitors quite regularly, so if you ask nicely... and here it is:

The IS on my E-3 was working hard as this shot was taken with 1/5th second exposure (ISO 800) hand held

The 14-35 sample is not a properly working one - but it can be fitted to a camera and viewed. Basically the AF unit on the lens wasn't working normally.

No such problems with the new 50-200 SWD , which is also on the stand. The Af on this is very nifty indeed. It snaps into focus, even from one end of the focus range to the other in a most impressive manner.

The first pre production 50-200 SWD I tried in Istanbul last year was not as responsive as this by any means, so while I was initially not sure of the performance improvement over the old 50-200, I'm now totally convinced

More from the show later!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Re: Focus show news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
This is a repeat of what I have just posted on FTU (apologies if you've already seen it there )

The biggest attraction on the stand is a pre-production 14-35 f/2 SWD. It's normally locked inside a cabinet on teh stand but I saw it come out to be handled by visitors quite regularly, so if you ask nicely... and here it is:

The IS on my E-3 was working hard as this shot was taken with 1/5th second exposure (ISO 800) hand held

The 14-35 sample is not a properly working one - but it can be fitted to a camera and viewed. Basically the AF unit on the lens wasn't working normally.

No such problems with the new 50-200 SWD , which is also on the stand. The Af on this is very nifty indeed. It snaps into focus, even from one end of the focus range to the other in a most impressive manner.

The first pre production 50-200 SWD I tried in Istanbul last year was not as responsive as this by any means, so while I was initially not sure of the performance improvement over the old 50-200, I'm now totally convinced

More from the show later!

Ian
Bad news about the 50-200 SWD means I will probably have to start saving.I realy like the old versions optics but do get a bit fed up with the way it always goes right to one end of the focus before returning to focus.

Have a good time at the show.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

I got to hold the 14-35 at the NEC show. As it is a pre-production lens it has no multi-coating but it was nice and light to hold.

The 50-200 SWD is a fab looking lens. Wish I could get one right now but it will have to wait awhile. (Cough, the Samsung XL30 monitor took my breath away - want one of these for photo editing)
Old 25th February 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,757 Times in 793 Posts
Re: Yours truly, with an Olympus VIP

The guys on the Olympus stand were all acting a bit silly at the end of the day and insisted on taking my picture with Greg Connell, who is the general sales manager for E-System in the UK.

Things to look out for on the stand:

50-200 SWD - don't miss this opportunity to try the new 50-200.
14-35 f/2 SWD - it's in the cabinet much of the time, but does get an airing if you ask nicely. The lens is far from being a production unit, but the real ones are coming soon.
70-300 - if you haven't yet handled one, this is a good opportunity. The diminutive size of this lens is rather surprising.
Most of the old favourites are available to try out - the 150 f/2, the 90-250 f/2.8 and the 35-100 f/2.
The sawn in half E-3; I saw this at PMA at the end of last month and it's on the Focus stand, along with some of the key internal components for you to marvel at.
You can also find various leaflets and brochures (including one leaflet about some new site called the 'e-group'?), plus review reprints and some remaining Lee Miller paraphernalia and if you look hard enough you might find some goodie bags.

Do tell us about your experience of the show too!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 25th February 2008
brob108

The 14 - 35 lens does look good attached to the E3.

I got my 50 - 200 SWD lens last week and it's very nice sharp lens.

I had one opportunity to use it at the weekend (a local football match) and whilst not an action shot this is straight from the E3 with just some cropping at the top and sides. I was quite pleased with the lens and IS on the E3.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg footie footie footie.jpg (83.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 26th February 2008
Photocracy

I bought the 70-300mm at Focus from Camera World. Boy, was there a queue at their stand. People seemed to be throwing money at it from every direction! Anyway, haven't really tried out the new lens yet, but pleased with the way it looks and feels and the size of it is something of a miracle. Not so long ago I had a Sigma 170-500 with a Canon EOS 30 and it was all a big heavy kit. I'm so pleased with how small and light my 'big' lens kit is now.

Generally, I thought the show was excellent, if somewhat overcrowded. Last year was good, but this year there seemed to be a real buzz. Digital photography has opened up so many new and expanding areas, I can see this show growing further yet.