Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 10th September 2019

Liked 247 Times in 154 Posts
Version 3 Stacking improvement

V3 firmware brought an increase from 8 to 15 exposures when using in-camera focus stacking. I found this enhancement very useful when photographing a very 3-dimensional Toad Lily (Tricyrtis) flower.

For these photos, I used my 60mm macro lens, set to an aperture of f/8 and with 15 focus steps at a step interval set to 3. I used an LED ring light, with a natural-light background of my garden. The exposure reading was 1/20s, ISO 800.

Another advantage of the V3 firmware was a steady viewfinder image when using the LED light. Previously, there had been obvious flicker that now appears to be suppressed.

The Following Users Liked This Post:
art frames (11th September 2019), Dennis Russ (10th September 2019), Grumpy Hec (12th September 2019), JohnGG (12th September 2019), Magus (10th September 2019), Melaka (10th September 2019), mik (10th September 2019), MJ224 (10th September 2019), OM USer (11th September 2019), Ross the fiddler (11th September 2019), wanderer (12th September 2019)
Old 10th September 2019

Liked 3,845 Times in 1,773 Posts
Re: Version 3 Stacking improvement

Lovely photos Mike, super sharp and detailed.

Do you use a tripod with stacking? I don't and often the camera won't complete the stacking Then I have to use PS to complete. Just don't like carrying a tripod...lazy...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 10th September 2019

Liked 247 Times in 154 Posts

I usually use a tripod for this type of photography. I find that I need to have the camera fixed, while I manoeuvre the subject, to get the angle and the lighting as I want them. I often place the subject on a table in front of patio doors into the garden, which I use as a backdrop.

I prefer to use a wider aperture than f/8 when possible but, sometimes, I need to cover greater depth in the subject - the larger number of steps available in V3 firmware is a real asset. The sharpness of the 60mm macro is stunning when wide open.
I don't like lugging a tripod either so, for garden plants I bring them into my indoor set-up. Sometimes, however, I do use stacking 'in the field', where I use a monopod to keep the camera steady (it also serves as a walking stick for me!). Subject movement is a big problem outdoors, if there's any wind about, as it leads to 'fringes' on the image, when stacking.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOxon For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (10th September 2019)
Old 10th September 2019

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Those are cracking images MikeOxon..Well Done. Mine is set on 6 images so I think it time I tried 10.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Russ For This Useful Post:
MikeOxon (10th September 2019)