Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 5th April 2019

Liked 612 Times in 166 Posts
Friend or foe for olympus?

I wonder if Sharps imminent arrival into m43 will help Olympus sensor wise or just copy oly gear on the cheap.
Old 5th April 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Friend or foe for olympus?

I suspect their focus will be video.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 5th April 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

I remember having a Sharp VCR, so you could be right. Video and TVs were their game.

on flickr
Old 5th April 2019

Liked 455 Times in 221 Posts

Seems probable given this prototype
https://www.dpreview.com/news/399076...pe-at-ces-2019
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (5th April 2019)
Old 6th April 2019

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,163 Posts

I've got a Sharp microwave.
I hope they make their cameras more customisable than their microwaves though. I can't turn off that annoying beeping when the cooking is done. I bet if I take the cover off the beeper will be soldered on a pcboard too making any possible disconnection more difficult than just unplugging it.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 6th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I hope they make their cameras more customisable than their microwaves though. I can't turn off that annoying beeping when the cooking is done. I bet if I take the cover off the beeper will be soldered on a pcboard too making any possible disconnection more difficult than just unplugging it.
Haha
Seriously, if you have not got access to a microwave leak detector I would not recommend interfering. Microwave radiation is indiscriminate, it will happily cook your eyeballs when you get close to look how your food is progressing. In fact it is a good idea to have microwave ovens checked every few years. But how many of us do that!

on flickr
Old 6th April 2019

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Yeah, our Panasonic microwave is the same.

An Olympus one would have 27 customisable buttons, 6 rotary dials and a manual 3” thick, but you would be able to turn off the f-ing beeps

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
pandora (30th May 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bruce Clarke (6th April 2019), OwenMc (10th April 2019), pandora (30th May 2019), Ross the fiddler (6th April 2019)
Old 6th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Yeah, our Panasonic microwave is the same.

An Olympus one would have 27 customisable buttons, 6 rotary dials and a manual 3” thick, but you would be able to turn off the f-ing beeps
Yeah, but the menu system would be unfavourable. Only the designer would be able to navigate the system.

on flickr
Old 6th April 2019

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Haha
Seriously, if you have not got access to a microwave leak detector I would not recommend interfering. Microwave radiation is indiscriminate, it will happily cook your eyeballs when you get close to look how your food is progressing. In fact it is a good idea to have microwave ovens checked every few years. But how many of us do that!
There's a metal cover with 4 screws (or something like that). I take it off, look for the buzzer, see it on the pc board & see how accessible it is. If the pc board back is facing out, great then it will be easy to desolder (hopefully). If it's plugged in with leads, fantastic, but not likely. I then refit the cover. All this of course would be done with the power disconnected etc.

BTW, I deliberately don't stand & look at the food cooking. I move away when it is, because I'm a little bit wary like that.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
blu-by-u (6th May 2019)
Old 4th May 2019

Liked 45 Times in 13 Posts

The Sharp M43 will be a winner if it can cook a jacket potato like my Sharp microwave.
Old 19th May 2019

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

So I wonder if/when there will be 30Mpix Olympus cameras
Old 20th May 2019

Liked 1,423 Times in 366 Posts

I'm intrigued, may I ask why you think of a 30 megapixel Olympus camera in the context of this discussion? Who says that Sharp would push the specs, and that Olympus would follow either using the same sensor as Sharp or have a sensor developed for them by some other semiconductor manufacturer? I'd personally prefer staying at the 20 that the Mark2 is offering while lowering the noise.

I used to have a Sharp video (VHS) player, 30 years back, by the way.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 20th May 2019

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

actually I was thinking (getting off topic a bit but I hope you will forgive me). Roughly there are 2 types of photographers - 1 who care about quality and Mpix count is not always the main concern. 2 people who think they can photograph if given any camera with huge amount of Mpix. IMHO the 2nd segment is a bit strange - they go for Mpix but upload the images to facebook or any other social environment so generally even 5Mpix would be enough as the images will be downscaled anyways. Even more this segment often even don't notice the images being out of focus. So taking this into account in reality they don't need those 16-24Mpix sensors. But they know that more is better. But in reality it is waste of resources to use those sensors for them. If to use good algorithm then it is possible to upscale a image without basic user even noticing. So when you upscale 40%, you get 20Mpix out from 10 and 31 out from 16. Why camera manufacturer need to say that we have imaging sensor XX Mpix while they can say say that images are upto yy Mpix.
Old 21st May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
I'm intrigued, may I ask why you think of a 30 megapixel Olympus camera in the context of this discussion? Who says that Sharp would push the specs, and that Olympus would follow either using the same sensor as Sharp or have a sensor developed for them by some other semiconductor manufacturer? I'd personally prefer staying at the 20 that the Mark2 is offering while lowering the noise.

I used to have a Sharp video (VHS) player, 30 years back, by the way.

It's demonstrably not the case that more Mp means more noise. Pick any manufacturer and you'll find that increasing Mp has gone hand-in-hand with reducing noise. The digital photography industry is awash with past predictions from experts saying things like "no-one needs more than 12Mp" etc (e.g. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost...1&postcount=30). I'm pretty sure that 33Mp is coming to m43 and I'm confident that overall IQ will improve because of it.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Ross the fiddler (21st May 2019)
Old 21st May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by throt View Post
actually I was thinking (getting off topic a bit but I hope you will forgive me). Roughly there are 2 types of photographers - 1 who care about quality and Mpix count is not always the main concern. 2 people who think they can photograph if given any camera with huge amount of Mpix. IMHO the 2nd segment is a bit strange - they go for Mpix but upload the images to facebook or any other social environment so generally even 5Mpix would be enough as the images will be downscaled anyways. Even more this segment often even don't notice the images being out of focus. So taking this into account in reality they don't need those 16-24Mpix sensors. But they know that more is better. But in reality it is waste of resources to use those sensors for them. If to use good algorithm then it is possible to upscale a image without basic user even noticing. So when you upscale 40%, you get 20Mpix out from 10 and 31 out from 16. Why camera manufacturer need to say that we have imaging sensor XX Mpix while they can say say that images are upto yy Mpix.
It all depends on what you want from your photography. If you are into detailed landscape or architecture and want to print large, then more Mp is a good thing. Of course up-scaling is an option, but you won't be able to recover detail that wasn't there in the first place. Also, if you want to crop (e.g. birding) then more Mp will be of benefit. It's not "strange" to be in the second group!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
AMc (21st May 2019)