Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 31st December 2007

Liked 130 Times in 72 Posts
Re: HLD-4 power grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
I just made sure that my serial number was in the email when I sent an attached photo of my purchase receipt.

I explained everything in the email and that was all that was needed. I now have my grip
Thanks, I just forwarded them my serial number just in case.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 1st January 2008

Liked 349 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Has anyone found a UK source for the GS3 grip please? I have only found them on the US Amazon site.
Old 1st January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
I've tried mine with the 3xCR123A battery holder that came with my E500 SE kit. The battery holder works OK in the camera body but not in the HLD4. The camera focuses and gives the usual info in the viewfinder but the shutter does not fire. It works if there is a BLM-1 in the HLD4 with the 3xCR123A holder but of course you've no idea of which battery is actually doing the job.

I've also tried with 6 fully charged 2400MA NMh batteries (four of one and two of another manufacture). The camera gives a brief acknowledgement of their presence before saying the battery is empty.

To be fair it must be said that the HLD instuctions do not mention being able to use CR123As or rechargeables but nor do they say you can't use them

It would be interesting to know how the HLD4 handles two batteries. I have little electrical knowledge but my understanding of ordinary 12v lead acid batteries is that for them to work best in parallel they must both be of the same type and same capacity. Does it matter if you use a mix of Olympus and third party batteries and what happens if the state of charge of one is different to that of the other when you put them both in?
To reply to your query about using BLM-1 batteries from non-Olympus sources ! I have found no problems when using one Olympus BLM-1 and another replacement BLM-1 in the HLD-4. I have some BLM-1 replacement batteries because I need two BLM-1s in my B-HLD30 (the power battery holder for the C8080W which my wife uses) and spares for my E-510. They all work perfectly well with the genuine Olympus BLM-1s and I don't have to think whether I have mixed the types of batteries in the battery holder. The only proviso I would add is make sure the non-Olympus replacement batteries match the specification of the Olympus BLM-1.

PS - The state of charge of the batteries does not appear to be significant. I have just inserted into the HLD-4 a partially charged non-Olympus BLM-1 (which has been used in my E-510 over the Christmas period) with a fully charged Olympus BLM-1 and the E-3 is working perfectly.

Last edited by Ray Shotter; 1st January 2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 1st January 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shotter View Post
To reply to your query about using BLM-1 batteries from non-Olympus sources ! I have found no problems when using one Olympus BLM-1 and another replacement BLM-1 in the HLD-4. I have some BLM-1 replacement batteries because I need two BLM-1s in my B-HLD30 (the power battery holder for the C8080W which my wife uses) and spares for my E-510. They all work perfectly well with the genuine Olympus BLM-1s and I don't have to think whether I have mixed the types of batteries in the battery holder. The only proviso I would add is make sure the non-Olympus replacement batteries match the specification of the Olympus BLM-1.

PS - The state of charge of the batteries does not appear to be significant. I have just inserted into the HLD-4 a partially charged non-Olympus BLM-1 (which has been used in my E-510 over the Christmas period) with a fully charged Olympus BLM-1 and the E-3 is working perfectly.
I would agree with Ray above. My experience has been exactly the same with the HLD-4 + E3. It seems that the problems HLD-4 are contained within the operation of none BLM-1 (or equivalent) batteries.

PeterD
Old 1st January 2008

Liked 872 Times in 286 Posts

How do you find using the battery grip - comfort wise?

I was hopeful to find one for the E-510. I note Ownuser in Taiwan produce one but it is a little too far I feel if a problem presented itself.

Kind regards. Barr1e
Old 1st January 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
How do you find using the battery grip - comfort wise?

I was hopeful to find one for the E-510. I note Ownuser in Taiwan produce one but it is a little too far I feel if a problem presented itself.

Kind regards. Barr1e
Hi Barrie,

The addition of the battery grip gives a very welcome increase in grip area when shooting in landscape. In the portrait mode, I would say it was OK but, the eyepiece is below centre which I find takes some getting used to. From my own point of view, I would have preferred the the shutter release & controls on the other side of the HLD-4. This would have placed the eyepiece above the the camera centre line.

Regards

PeterD
Old 1st January 2008

Liked 872 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Hi Barrie,

The addition of the battery grip gives a very welcome increase in grip area when shooting in landscape. In the portrait mode, I would say it was OK but, the eyepiece is below centre which I find takes some getting used to. From my own point of view, I would have preferred the the shutter release & controls on the other side of the HLD-4. This would have placed the eyepiece above the the camera centre line.

Regards

PeterD
Thanks PeterD -

I'll sweep Google and see what it produces.

Happy New Year.

Kindest regards. Barr1e
Old 8th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shotter View Post
Just some techy theory that may answer some questions.

The BLM-1 batteries, being Li-Ion, will maintain a constant voltage from fully charged right up to almost being discharged and then the voltage will drop off rapidly at the end of the charge. This is the nature of these batteries, so you get full performance of the camera right up to the last possible minute.

The reason why some fully charged batteries are showing a low level in the HLD-4 and yet fully charged in the camera lies in the HLD-4 itself. As there can be 2 batteries fitted they just cannot be wired internally together, if one battery had a higher charge than the other then the higher charged battery would discharge into the lower charged battery - which would cause heat build up and be potentially dangerous, even a fire or battery melt down. Therefore, diodes have to be inserted in series with each battery and these diodes could drop as much as 0.65volt. So the 7.2v output of the batteries could be as low as 6.6v. Therefore, because of my explanation above, the camera would see a voltage that would register as discharged. The difference between a fully charged battery and one that is at the "knee" of the discharge curve would be a fraction of a volt. I think this may be more applicable to 3xCR123A, but the theory remains the same.

This problem wouldn't have occured with the HLD-2 in the E-1 because it only had the one battery, hence no diode, no voltage drop and no loss of performance. Retaining the larger BLL-1 battery would, technically, be the better solution.

Right, lesson over - I hope you were taking notes

Steve
Old 8th January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank You,

Actually I'm pretty sure this a problem that has occurred before although it may not have been an Olympus product. IIRC it took a firmware fix to cure it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
Retaining the larger BLL-1 battery would, technically, be the better solution.

Steve
How true
Old 8th January 2008

Liked 349 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Thanks for the lesson Steve. How does one know which battery the grip is using? Does it use a fully charged one first or a partially charged one? I get the theory about the CR123s but they total 9v which is a lot more than 7.2v even if a diode gets in the way.
Old 8th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
Thanks for the lesson Steve. How does one know which battery the grip is using? Does it use a fully charged one first or a partially charged one? I get the theory about the CR123s but they total 9v which is a lot more than 7.2v even if a diode gets in the way.
I can't be 100% sure as I don't have my HLD-4 yet (Olympus - I'm still waiting), but they will almost certainly be used simultaneously (in parallel). So the batteries will be discharged equally until both are flat. To use one until flat and then use the other wouldn't make any sense as extra electronics would be needed to monitor the voltage levels and provide switching. A couple of cheap diodes is the simple, reliable way to do it.

I haven't used CR123s and didn't realise what their voltage was, but your question is very valid, there shouldn't be any problem with a 9v supply. That is puzzling, I thought that some people may have been having problems with two BLM-1s in the holder, but if it is with just CR123s then it doesn't add up. The only way to check conclusively is to to dismantle an HLD-4, load it with CR123s and measure the terminal voltages on the workbench to see what is going on inside it.

When I get my battery grip from Oly I would be interested in having a play - these things intrigue me. So maybe I can find the answer then. Unless of course Olympus want to comment on the problem.

Watch this space.

Steve
Old 12th January 2008

Liked 1,688 Times in 1,087 Posts

When (if!) I ever get my HLD-4 Power Grip, will it have a tripod bush?

I'm using my E3 with a wireless remote, on a tripod in the garden to photograph birds on a feeder. I could use the extra duration the 2 batteries in the grip would give me - it's pain to go and see what I've caught, only to find the battery has gone flat!

Jim Ford
Old 12th January 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
When (if!) I ever get my HLD-4 Power Grip, will it have a tripod bush?

I'm using my E3 with a wireless remote, on a tripod in the garden to photograph birds on a feeder. I could use the extra duration the 2 batteries in the grip would give me - it's pain to go and see what I've caught, only to find the battery has gone flat!

Jim Ford
Yes, it has a tripod bush

The next batch of HLD-4s is on its way to the UK now and should arrive early next week. I'm under the impression that many of you waiting for your HLD-4s will receive them by the end of next week.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 14th January 2008
Jim

Has anyone tried it with the new 'hybrid' AA's like:

Sanyo Eneloop
Ansmann MaxE
Uniross Hybrio
Old 15th January 2008

Liked 98 Times in 30 Posts

Got home last night to a card from DHL my HLD-4 has arrived and they have arranged redelivery. So should have it in my hands soon. I don't think that is a long wait. Picked my E-3 up 21.12 registered it 30.12 didn't expect any reply from Olympus (due to christmas shut down) until at least 1st week of Jan and there delivery predictions were right early this week. Now just wait for the bag expected within the next 2 weeks.

Derek C