Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 28th December 2007
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: HLD-4 power grip

Yup, me sorry! Went out for the day yesterday and arrived home to a DHL note slipped through the door. Collected my grip from their depot today.

Old 28th December 2007

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
Ian

Have you tried the Olympus rucksack with the HLD-4 on??? And do you have a picture of it in the rucksack???

niels
Hi

There is a picture of the rucksack in the promo leaflet:

Old 28th December 2007

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Yup, me sorry! Went out for the day yesterday and arrived home to a DHL note slipped through the door. Collected my grip from their depot today.
Great news, that's cool,

Glad to hear they are still shipping, you never know, maybe DHL will make lots of other forum users a happy New Year.
Old 29th December 2007

I am especially pleased with this time frame. Didn't post mine off until mid December...

Old 31st December 2007

Liked 349 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Just thought I'd mention that I haven't had any luck with standard alkaline AAs (even with the battery indicator showing full the shutter would not fire), nor NiMH rechargeables (battery flat indicated immediately). I understand this follows the experiences of several others. I'll query it with Olympus in the new year.

I'll get a set of Lithium AAs in due course to try those.

Ian
I've tried mine with the 3xCR123A battery holder that came with my E500 SE kit. The battery holder works OK in the camera body but not in the HLD4. The camera focuses and gives the usual info in the viewfinder but the shutter does not fire. It works if there is a BLM-1 in the HLD4 with the 3xCR123A holder but of course you've no idea of which battery is actually doing the job.

I've also tried with 6 fully charged 2400MA NMh batteries (four of one and two of another manufacture). The camera gives a brief acknowledgement of their presence before saying the battery is empty.

To be fair it must be said that the HLD instuctions do not mention being able to use CR123As or rechargeables but nor do they say you can't use them

It would be interesting to know how the HLD4 handles two batteries. I have little electrical knowledge but my understanding of ordinary 12v lead acid batteries is that for them to work best in parallel they must both be of the same type and same capacity. Does it matter if you use a mix of Olympus and third party batteries and what happens if the state of charge of one is different to that of the other when you put them both in?

Last edited by Melaka; 31st December 2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling errror
Old 31st December 2007

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
I've also tried with 6 fully charged 2400MA NMh batteries (four of one and two of another manufacture). The camera gives a brief acknowledgement of their presence before saying the battery is empty.

To be fair it must be said that the HLD instuctions do not mention being able to use CR123As or rechargeables but nor do they say you can't use them

It would be interesting to know how the HLD4 handles two batteries. I have little electrical knowledge but my understanding of ordinary 12v lead acid batteries is that for them to work best in parallel they must both be of the same type and same capacity. Does it matter if you use a mix of Olympus and third party batteries and what happens if the state of charge of one is different to that of the other when you put them both in?
I'm still waiting for my HLD4. Do the instructions say that it'll work with non-rechargeable alkaline cells? If it does, maybe the difference between the 1.5V terminal voltage on the alkalines and 1.2V on the NiMh is the problem.
I've got plenty of BLM-1s, but it'll be mega-irritating if you can't use NiMhs and therefore share with other equipment using the same!

Jim Ford
Old 31st December 2007

Quote:
I am especially pleased with this time frame. Didn't post mine off until mid December...
What, did that include an application for the bag in Dec? I didn't register interest in November. I've got an E500 and when I saw the E3 in the shop I went in 'just to have a look at it'. Fatal - once I'd got the camera in my hands I was hooked!

I've applied for the grip, but not the bag - is there still time?

Jim
Old 31st December 2007
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
What, did that include an application for the bag in Dec? I didn't register interest in November. I've got an E500 and when I saw the E3 in the shop I went in 'just to have a look at it'. Fatal - once I'd got the camera in my hands I was hooked!

Jim
Hi Jim,

My understanding is that you had to register your interest in the E3, on the Olympus site, by end November. Whilst the HLD-4 promotion was extended, I do not think it applied to the rucksack. Sorry
That is unless Ian can talk to Oly on the basis that you purchased your E3 in November.

Kind regards

PeterD
Old 31st December 2007

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Went out for a couple of hours and DHL left it on the kitchen windowsill, don't you just love country living, leaving an item worth 200 balanced on a three inch ledge and open to the elements and passing horses.

Thank you Mr Handa.EMD OLYMPUS

H
Old 31st December 2007

Quote:

Jim
I don't think so Jim - I think that offer ended in November. As has been suggested, I an can ask for you though - it might work.

Old 31st December 2007

Quote:
I don't think so Jim - I think that offer ended in November. As has been suggested, I an can ask for you though - it might work.
That would be great, thanks!

I need a new bag because my Slingshot 100 I bought for my E500 won't take the E3 + bits.

Jim
Old 31st December 2007
PeterD

Quote:
That would be great, thanks!

I need a new bag because my Slingshot 100 I bought for my E500 won't take the E3 + bits.

Jim
Your right Jim. My first problem when I received the E3 is that it would not fit into my camera bag (the one I purchased last year for the E500).
If the camera bag presents a tight fit, be alert to the posibility that the eye cup detatches from the camera body.

Oh by the way, when Ian comes back on here he checks through the post and no doubt see your query.

Regards

PeterD
Old 31st December 2007

Liked 349 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
I'm still waiting for my HLD4. Do the instructions say that it'll work with non-rechargeable alkaline cells? If it does, maybe the difference between the 1.5V terminal voltage on the alkalines and 1.2V on the NiMh is the problem.
I've got plenty of BLM-1s, but it'll be mega-irritating if you can't use NiMhs and therefore share with other equipment using the same!

Jim Ford
That could be the explanation but most equipment which takes AA alkaline batteries will also work with rechargeables. A BLM-1 is 7.2v, the same as six 1.2v rechargeables. CR123As, which are 3v totalling 9v, work in the camera but not the grip. The fact that Ian can't get alkalines to work either suggests there may be a problem. I'll be interesting to hear how he gets on with lithiums. The instructions only mention BLM-1 together with alkaline and lithium AA.
Old 31st December 2007

Liked 130 Times in 72 Posts

Just been reading through this topic and I see mentions to E-3 serial numbers being sent to Oly when registering for the HLD-4. I complied with everything on the Oly website, but my receipt from Digital Depot did not show any serial numbers.

Ian, is this a requirement? I still have until the end of Jan to send any further info, but I also registered for the bag and that expires in about 2 hours.

Happy New Year all

Steve
Old 31st December 2007

I just made sure that my serial number was in the email when I sent an attached photo of my purchase receipt.

I explained everything in the email and that was all that was needed. I now have my grip