Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th October 2013

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,451 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 925 Posts
A wee dram from holiday

What better way to relax in the evening than with a wee dram to remind you of your holidays. Even better when its one you bottled yourself at a distilliary.

Here is the machine:

You fill the bottle, cork it, and put a foil seal over the top. Without doubt it is a single cask bottling at cask strength.
Finally you fill in the label and sign the excise book. The book is open to the tax inspectors so they know who bottled it.

Here is the result along with tasting glass to make sure you enjoy it at its maximum potential.

Not all distilliaries are open to the public though. Lock Lomond distilliary is not but we managed to find two "expressions" at the village shop in Balmaha - "Loch Lomond" and "Inchmurrin" (the latter and others we didn't see are named after islands in the loch).

A small shop at Drymen (the "gateway to East Lomond") has a good selection in a room at the back and also holds an occassional tasting.

There are other outlets in the area keen to sell you the "water of life" as well. I recommend the "Antartex Shopping Centre" (southern end of the loch) and the "Green Welly Stop" shop (top left of the loch). I managed to browse in here for over an hour before deciding what to buy.

I must be easily persuaded as from a few shops and a few distilliary visits this is what I came home with:

The two books are good reads and "101 Whiskies to Try" recommends all the versions Highland Park which I know finds favour amongst the forum members. I must revisit this whisky at a future time to see why.

Whilst taking the picture above the management suggested taking shots of the other contents of the cellar. First the Islay malts (some from the recent holiday hiding on the left side at the back).

Now the Islands. Not sure how the Tullibardine crept in here - that was from holiday 2 years ago. The management favours Jura.

Finally the remainder. The Springbank is from a visit over ten years ago - I have drunk one bottle and this is the second. The Penderyn is the only welsh whisky I know of, but is available in supermarkets both sides of the border.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
bredman (4th October 2013), corned (4th October 2013)