Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd October 2013

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts
Bird Photography from a hide. Help!

Today I went to Venus Pools in Shropshire. It is a nature reserve managed by Shropshire Ornithological society. I have never been before but I knew they had several public hides. I was lucky, the third hide I came across was empty. It was in the woodland with several feeders and a very distant veiw of the pool.

I was quietly confident expecting to sit myself down rattle off a few shots and come away with some shots of birds on nice little perches looking all glorious.

How wrong was I!

I took approximately 30-40 shots, only two of which I would class as keepers, not great but too good for the delete button.

Today was dull so it was relatively poor light, not dark by any stretch but dull.

To get any kind of decent shot I had to use ISO1600 and a shutter speed of 1/25. Not fantastic by any stretch, trying to shoot flighty small birds at 1/25 is never going to happen, everything I tried was noisy, dark or blurry.

These are the only shots I've kept
1/25 ISO 1600 f6.3 fortunately this Rook stood still

Rook Venus Pools 03102013 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

ISO400 1/60 f6.3

Venus Pool selection 03102013 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

What settings do you use?
Is it worth trying on a dull day?
Any idea what the two ducks are bottom left in the second picture?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/