Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 17th July 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Who uses & like Windows 8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
It's not so much moving the light switch but swapping the brake and accelerator .
Well, if you remember (perhaps not you or I!) they did just that in, I think, the 1910s. Not to mention Sweden changing from RHD to LHD. Good job they didn't phase that in!

Software pricing amongst all companies is a mystery to me.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 17th July 2013

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
It's interesting to hear how many people dislike Win 8 because of the change from a "Start" button to a different method of accessing the same things. It's like complaining because the light switch in your VW isn't in the same place as on your old Austin. We're an adaptable people - adapt!
Do you mean like getting into the Honda CRV from a Subaru Forester?
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 17th July 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Do you mean like getting into the Honda CRV from a Subaru Forester?
Exactly! A whole different level of comfort. Even if they do have the pedals in different places

My Flickr site
Old 17th July 2013

Quote:
Exactly! A whole different level of comfort. Even if they do have the pedals in different places
A little off original topic, but what the heck!

I was talking about the lights & wiper controls. I drive a normal car like the Subaru & then I get into my wife's car (CR-V) & those controls are certainly not normal. Maybe a bit like Microsoft & Apple Mac.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 17th July 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,755 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
It's interesting to hear how many people dislike Win 8 because of the change from a "Start" button to a different method of accessing the same things. It's like complaining because the light switch in your VW isn't in the same place as on your old Austin. We're an adaptable people - adapt!
Yes, maybe - but I think it is arguable that what Microsoft replaced the Start button with was not an improvement - at least not for a good number of users.

There is also some confusion; I started to set up mail on Win 8 using the Metro mail app, but I discovered his is much less capable than the desktop Windows Live Mail app (the Metro app doesn't support POP mail, for a start!). So there is confusing duplication.

But overall, I like Windows 8 and would have no problem switching to it, especially if (when?) I get a touch-screen PC or laptop.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (17th July 2013)
Old 17th July 2013

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Who uses & like Windows 8?

I liked XP to some extent and could live with windows 7, I had 8 briefly and regretted it. I also have a mac and tend to default to it for most things for ease of use. In my view there are cyclical ups and downs with IT. They start strongly with products that are enjoyable and you want to use and then they become intoxicated with the idea we want bloat ware full of innovations and technologies that tie you into propriety stuff and try to sell all sorts of crap to you never asked for or wanted. Remember the minidisc, great but ultimately disappointing product that Sony also tried to force feed you with their software, laptops, music etc.
Old 17th July 2013

Thanked 1,128 Times in 705 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

Something I've been told is that W8 is a complete barsteward (next to impossible) should you choose to swap drives, IE., from a standard HD to one of the SSD types. Beware also, that once you open it up and connect to the internet / confirm with MS, the software is locked to that motherboard. Both these items have been passed on from actual users.

My W8 drive is unused as I swapped to an SSD / W7. I tried my sisters PC prior to getting a new PC and hated it, hence the drive swapping and new W7 software..

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Old 17th July 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Something I've been told is that W8 is a complete barsteward (next to impossible) should you choose to swap drives, IE., from a standard HD to one of the SSD types. Beware also, that once you open it up and connect to the internet / confirm with MS, the software is locked to that motherboard. Both these items have been passed on from actual users.

My W8 drive is unused as I swapped to an SSD / W7. I tried my sisters PC prior to getting a new PC and hated it, hence the drive swapping and new W7 software..
I don't think this is really particularly new - since Windows XP if you make a major component change, like a motherboard, there is a chance you may be requested to phone Microsoft to complete re-activation.

I have read on forums many times where Windows 8 users have substituted HDDs for SSDs.

Ian

Old 17th July 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

I have done both these things with no problems except the obvious one, as Ian says, is to re-activate with MS via an automated free phone call.

My Flickr site
Old 17th July 2013

Thanked 1,128 Times in 705 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

I thought to raise the issue(s) as it was information given to me that might be useful. I suppose much of what has been said in the two posts above comes down to IT know-how. For many, problems some solve easily through experience and take for granted, others not so experienced might find it hard to sort out.

If something has been gained, it is that the questions and the answers are now out in the open.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Old 17th July 2013

Liked 85 Times in 24 Posts

A belated tuppence worth from me, for what it's worth:

Windows 8 is fine. It's not amazing, but it's an OS what do you really need it to do? It's seems quick and efficient enough with system resources, which is my main concern.

The lack of Start Menu isn't a major issue. Anything I might want I've put on the Start screen or pinned to the taskbar, or just made a desktop shortcut to. I don't use a vast number of programs so it's no hardship. Doing a search on the Start screen will very quickly find anything else you need.

Anything you don't want 'apps' in my case I just unpin from the start screen and ignore, although you can uninstall them if you want.

The only issue I had was getting my Netgear wi-fi dongle to work, but I managed with only some mild swearing.

The menus that appear at the side of screen seem unnecessary, but it'll only take a day to get used to them unless you're a hardcore luddite. The only alteration I've really made is to make a shutdown shortcut on my start screen which is worthwhile and only takes a minute.

I speak as someone who's used mac and linux too. OSX, for me, seemed to peak at 10.6 (Snow Leopard). I've had to setup a new Mac at work this week, which uses 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and it's just worse, for no reason much in the way windows 8 is criticised for being. I'd be happy to use Ubuntu if it ran the software I needed mostly Creative Suite.

You pays your money and takes your choice, but I really don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people make out. And come on, Win XP might have worked fine, but it came out in 2001! Were you still using software from 1989 when XP came out because you were just more used to it?

Mike
Old 17th July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag2000 View Post
A belated tuppence worth from me, for what it's worth:

Windows 8 is fine. It's not amazing, but it's an OS – what do you really need it to do? It's seems quick and efficient enough with system resources, which is my main concern.

The lack of Start Menu isn't a major issue. Anything I might want I've put on the Start screen or pinned to the taskbar, or just made a desktop shortcut to. I don't use a vast number of programs so it's no hardship. Doing a search on the Start screen will very quickly find anything else you need.

Anything you don't want – 'apps' in my case – I just unpin from the start screen and ignore, although you can uninstall them if you want.

The only issue I had was getting my Netgear wi-fi dongle to work, but I managed with only some mild swearing.

The menus that appear at the side of screen seem unnecessary, but it'll only take a day to get used to them unless you're a hardcore luddite. The only alteration I've really made is to make a shutdown shortcut on my start screen – which is worthwhile and only takes a minute.

I speak as someone who's used mac and linux too. OSX, for me, seemed to peak at 10.6 (Snow Leopard). I've had to setup a new Mac at work this week, which uses 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and it's just worse, for no reason – much in the way windows 8 is criticised for being. I'd be happy to use Ubuntu if it ran the software I needed – mostly Creative Suite.

You pays your money and takes your choice, but I really don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people make out. And come on, Win XP might have worked fine, but it came out in 2001! Were you still using software from 1989 when XP came out because you were just more used to it?

Mike
Thanks for your comments. For my daughter's laptop, we just changed the function of the power button to 'shut down' as I've done with my present one (with Win 7). At least shutting down takes care of program reconfiguring after some updates.
Old 17th July 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I thought to raise the issue(s) as it was information given to me that might be useful. I suppose much of what has been said in the two posts above comes down to IT know-how. For many, problems some solve easily through experience and take for granted, others not so experienced might find it hard to sort out.

If something has been gained, it is that the questions and the answers are now out in the open.

I think you're right and this is why forums like this are so good at spreading knowledge.

Ian

Old 19th July 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I had to re-install Win 7 (64bit) on one of my workstations last week, so this is fresh in my mind.

One of the first things I do is set the Display/Personalization (sp!) theme option to Windows "Classic". This gives you the look and feel of XP with the performance benefits of Win7.

Further options on controlling your view are available via Folder Options and Appearance under System, Advanced Settings. Setting the latter to Best for Performance, and then turning on a couple of the options you really can't do without provide the right balance (for me) between acceptable look and feel and a modest performance improvement. No Aero, no eye candy thank you!

Moving to Win8 I believe I would have to turn a lot more options off. I don't know if they provide the "Classic" view - that would be the key for me, but I'm in no rush to upgrade.

Why Msoft thought it was a good idea to supply resources for touch screens on a desktop/workstation OS I have no idea. Maybe that's why the Chief Designer moved on. One size does not fit all.

I work in IT by the way.

http://marklcaton-images.co.uk/zenphoto
The Following User Says Thank You to mlc For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th July 2013)
Old 19th July 2013

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlc View Post
Why Msoft thought it was a good idea to supply resources for touch screens on a desktop/workstation OS I have no idea. Maybe that's why the Chief Designer moved on. One size does not fit all.
My interpretation is that they're trying to unify their desktop, tablet and phone products... the desktop market is on the decline at the moment so they're obviously trying to spread their development costs, after all, if the market is decreasing (6% from last year) you need to do something to re-invigorate it otherwise you're stuck thrashing the dead donkey.