Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 30th December 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the E-520

Hello folks,

I've recently acquired an E-520 for my use primarily at my place of work for macro shots. Sadly, I'm convinced it exhibits front-focus that Olympus doesn't recognize is there, (but I won't delve into that here).

I'm still looking foward to using the camera anyway, and am actively learning its advantages and shortcomings.

I've never shot with an Olympus till now. Believe it or not, I'm a diehard Minoltian at heart but who currently shoots Pentax most of the time.

I didn't take up digital photography as standard practice till October 2009. Up to then I still shot 35mm, and I still do about 20% of the time.

My current DSLR line up includes the aforementioned E-520, a Pentax K20D, and a Minolta Maxxum 7D. As for my SLR's, they include numerous bodies made by Minolta, Pentax, Nikon, Chinon, Zeiss Ikon, Sigma, Yashica, and Exakta.

I've also started enjoying the wonderful world of M42-mount prime lenses.

I have a Flickr page, but the system won't let me link to it just yet. (I apparently have to satisfy a minimum number of postings quota first.)

I'm looking foward to participating and learning here.
Old 30th December 2011

Thanked 1,439 Times in 1,329 Posts
Liked 2,424 Times in 1,146 Posts
Re: New to the E-520

Welcome to the forum it's a very friendly and helpful place. I've got an E510 that wasn't focussing properly a while ago that I sent to Oly and they fixed it. They had to replace a circuit board I think as the actual work description wasn't very detailed. Unfortunately the older oly dslrs can't be adjusted for this kind of focus issue by the owner easilly. There are actually some details on the net showing how to do it but I just wasn't prepared to risk screwing it up completely. I actually only noticed my focus issue with the 50-200 lens at first but then as I looked they all showed it but to a lesser extent.
Old 30th December 2011

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Welcome aboard zekewhipper, great name
I was a Pentax user a little while back (K20D & K-7) nice kit.
I hope you are able to resolve your E-520 problems, as Phil says unfortunately the older Oly bodies don't have 'user' micro focus adjustment.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 30th December 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

I have already sent the camera and lens to Olympus to be calibrated, but they disagreed that there was an issue, but I know better after learning how to evaluate lenses because of my Maxxum 7D once having back-focus. I was able to fix that by myself by the way.

Greytop: The name was my old CB handle from the '70's. What made you switch to Olympus?
Old 30th December 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts

Hi Zekewhipper, and welcome. Sorry to hear about your focus issues.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th December 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks John.
Old 30th December 2011

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekewhipper View Post
Thanks guys.

I have already sent the camera and lens to Olympus to be calibrated, but they disagreed that there was an issue, but I know better after learning how to evaluate lenses because of my Maxxum 7D once having back-focus. I was able to fix that by myself by the way.

Greytop: The name was my old CB handle from the '70's. What made you switch to Olympus?
With regard to the front focussing I would present Oly UK with some photographic evidence, a nicely detailed target auto and manually focussed with wide open aperture.
They shouldn't be able to argue with that

With regard to the switch from Pentax to Olympus, well I was actually an Olympus user before I made a move to Pentax with the E-510 (plus HG glass) so my impressions of Pentax (which were pretty positive I have to say) were coloured to a degree by my Olympus experience.
I think Pentax is pretty closely aligned to Olympus from the perspective of a niche manufacturer who make quality kit but still paradoxically remain a 'relative' secret in the camera world.
For me weather and dust resistance together with robustness count for a lot. When I made the move I had hoped the E-30 (new at the time) would be similarly endowed as the E-3 in this regard but it wasn't and I always felt the E-3 to be a bit on the bulky side (still do as my E-5 is essentially the same body). So probably a bit hasty and disgruntled with Oly I sold up and moved to Pentax.
I started out with the K20D+grip and the DA*16-50, added the DA*60-250 plus some FA primes (28 and 50) plus the 35 LTD and FA100 macro. Moved onto the K-7+grip (plus WR 18-55 and 50-200) which I really did like from a handling and general use point of view, but I always felt their zooms fell short of my experience with the Oly, particularly the DA*16-50 and the kit zooms. Being more of a zoom than prime user (at least with my larger kit) I made the move back initially with an E-30 (funny that) and then to an E-5. I even recently picked up a brand new E-510 which I use on the odd occasion.
So to summarise I still have quite a soft spot for Pentax to the point that were Oly to go under (hopefully they will not) I would probably keep most of my Oly kit but also reinvest in some Pentax gear.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr