Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 9th November 2009
CakeBoy

What battery charger do you use?

I've got some Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries en route from 7dayshop, so it's time to choose a charger. The original plan was to buy the cheap sub-4 Panasonic available from the same vendor. However, having read a number of articles on the net, it would seem prudent to protect our investment in decent batteries with a smart charger.

The Lidl Tronic 12 charger as seen here is a really good deal, though they are not currently stocking it. The Technoline BL700 for 28 delivered, or the BC-900 at 40 delivered (both sold in the US as La Crosse branded units) seem favourite. The latter is capable of much higher charge currents but that is possibly superfluous for us given that a slow-ish charge is better for the life of the cells than a fast/hot one as I understand it.

There are, of course, Ansmann and Mata units, though the above seem to be good at the price point.

Does anyone have any other recommendations please? Is the above overthe top or prudent?

Thanks in advance
Old 9th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What battery charger do you use?

I use an Ansmann Energy. I've had it for a few years now and it seems to look after the batteries pretty well. It's intelligent so I just leave 4 batteries in it pretty much all the time. It doesn't overcharge them and is also pretty quick. I think it did cost over 40 when I bought it though.
Old 9th November 2009

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBoy View Post
This one looks pretty good - I might go for one myself!

Jim
Old 12th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to AlistairJ

When I got the FL50R I bought a set of 4 NMh 2500mAh AA's plus charger from B&Q, can't remember the brand but it was either Energizer or Uniross (definitely not a cheap own-label brand).

I believe NMh's are the best choice for the flash, the only problem being it takes 8 hours to recharge the set

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 12th November 2009

Quote:
I've just bought one of these (very fast delivery). I'm very impressed with it. One of the features I like is that you can 'refresh' a battery. This mode charges and discharges the battery, measuring the capacity, until the capacity no longer increases. This is really handy for those batteries that you've had for a while, and you're starting to think that they've lost capacity.

Jim
Old 26th November 2009

Just an update.

Probably like most people, I've accumulated a mixture of rechargeable NiMh batteries over the years. I've run them through the charger (above) to test them. It was quite revealing! Some were only half or less than their stated capacity. A couple of the oldest were still holding up fine, but one of the newest was much less than half.

This charger is really proving its worth.

Jim
Old 26th November 2009
CakeBoy

I totally agree with you Jim, the quality of charge and available information makes it worth its weight in gold. We too went for one of these in the end and are extremely pleased with it. Although we don't have any older rechargeables to test on it as yet, our new packet 2000 mAh rated Enerloops did vary a tad between 1850 and 1950 mAh when put on 'test'. Very interesting as you suggest. We have now also bought a pack of Vapex 'ready to use' rechargeables which also have a good reputation around the net. We are looking forward to testing them out
Old 26th November 2009

The Vapex 2700mah AAs (not 'ready to use') I had were all at much less than half their capacity when I checked them. I'm not sure I'd choose Vapex again.

Jim
Old 26th November 2009
CakeBoy

Ooh, that's somewhat concerning. I'll get ours (they are 850mAh AAA) on the charger and report back as to the capacity of the 'readies'.
Old 2nd December 2009

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Ooh, that's somewhat concerning. I'll get ours (they are 850mAh AAA) on the charger and report back as to the capacity of the 'readies'.
Anything to report back yet? I have a lot of these batteries and I've long had a suspicion they weren't as good as claimed. I've now ordered one of these chargers (strangely down from 28 yesterday to 26.99 today) and will post my results when I've tested them all.
Old 2nd December 2009
CakeBoy

Sorry, been a bit lapse on this one. Have now finally put them on charge. They are 800mAh rated and each appeared in the 697-698 mAh range. Now whether that is because they have been sat with a charge for a while or something to do with their capacity remains to be seen. I'll post in a day or so when the test is complete.

The chargers were 26.99 when we bought a week or two ago having been 28 the day before when I posted on here about them. I think you will enjoy the charger, it seems to be very good.
Old 2nd December 2009

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:

The chargers were 26.99 when we bought a week or two ago having been 28 the day before when I posted on here about them. I think you will enjoy the charger, it seems to be very good.
Now that's very interesting - as you probably noticed I just said the very same thing!! I wonder if they go down day by day somehow using your IP address or something?
Old 2nd December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have one of these, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6152 , charges / discharges each battery individually, really good charger for 8.45 delivered free. Alan
Old 2nd December 2009
CakeBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meach View Post
Now that's very interesting - as you probably noticed I just said the very same thing!! I wonder if they go down day by day somehow using your IP address or something?
At the time, I thought they had simply gone down in price, but after you mentioned the same thing happening to you it made me wonder. As you say, perhaps we are all seeing at least two different versions of the price based on our traffic to the site. Spooky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychwr View Post
I have one of these, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6152 , charges / discharges each battery individually, really good charger for 8.45 delivered free. Alan
That looks like a really good deal for a charger capable of refreshing batteries and on an individual basis. The charge currents are quite high though and don't appear to be adjustable, though not necessarily an issue. Amazing features at a great price reading the spec blurb.
Old 2nd December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
That looks like a really good deal for a charger capable of refreshing batteries and on an individual basis.
It's a smashing little charger, so good it does a round of the family every so often to do the refreshing,
It's been one of my best buys, would really recommend.