Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 8th December 2017

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts
New Canon G1X mkiii

Some of the best cameras Canon have made are in the hi-end compact area, and this latest iteration of the G1X series is starting to look quite interesting if you want a crop sensor in a reasonably-compact body with a mid-range zoom.

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/powe...pecifications/

It's got a lot of good stuff: tilt touch screen, reasonably speedy shooting, lens IS, in-body charging, flash, "Dust and moisture resistant construction" and an inbuilt 3-stop ND filter.

It's a bit thick to be pocketable in a suit, but as long as the focusing is good on review it would make a really good travel camera, or a backup to an interchangeable lens system.

Now, if they sell these at 1150, surely Olympus could do a killer travel compact based on the E-M1ii sensor that was usefully smaller with a lesser focusing and image processing and IBIS capability for a little less than that?

Personally I want it to be rear-screen only, and to have a fixed focal length (35mm equivalent, but very fast) lens, and therefore extremely compact, but maybe that would be too niche.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 8th December 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts
Re: New Canon G1X mkiii

I watched a review of this recently. It does indeed look an interesting compact camera. The Panasonic LX100 is a similar beast and in fact I bought one a few months ago. But, I'm not gelling with it. It's a little too small and the viewfinder isn't to my taste. The IQ is pretty good though - almost as good as my Oly gear. The G1Xiii looks like it might solve these issues - at a price and size.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 8th December 2017

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts
Re: New Canon G1X mkiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I watched a review of this recently. It does indeed look an interesting compact camera. The Panasonic LX100 is a similar beast and in fact I bought one a few months ago. But, I'm not gelling with it. It's a little too small and the viewfinder isn't to my taste. The IQ is pretty good though - almost as good as my Oly gear. The G1Xiii looks like it might solve these issues - at a price and size.
Yes, in the past I tried both the LF1 and the LX100 (both second hand) before settling on the Fuji X70.

Any camera of that size is going to be a set of compromises, and the compact size, tilt touch-screen, excellent prime lens and fine sensor of the Fuji did it for me, bearing in mind I was after all of those things while not being bothered about a VF, zoom lens, video and all the other stuff. It had to fit in a suit jacket pocket.

Either of the Pannys would have done most of the job, but I like doing contre-jour, low light and high contrast street and travel photography and neither were a patch on the X70 for those (the LX100 was better than the LF, of course, which I found prone to flare).

All of them feel very sluggish compared to the M1ii these days (which is why I'd love Oly to produce a 20Mp m4/3 'pro' point and shoot!).

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.