Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 10th May 2010
Nick

Olympus E-5 and new PEN at Photokina

Taken from 43rumors.com... I hope it's true

As you have noticed things have been quiet for a while now. During that time we tried to understand why Olympus didn’t announce any FourThirds camera. Months ago we told you that we were almost certain that new FourThirds cameras would be introduced. What we learned is that in fact our rumors were NOT wrong. The Olympus E-5 was ready for the launch since the end of 2009. Also a new mid-range FourThirds camera was ready for the launch in April. In both cases Olympus made a very last minute decision to not unveil the cameras. According to our sources Olympus discussed a lot about the future development of FourThirds and that probably caused the last minute delay.
So what did Olympus choose?
The Olympus E-5 is now undergoing a new upgrade. I was told that the Olympus E-5 will be released at Photokina in September along with the next MicroFourThirds camera. The Olympus E-5 will have completely new features (some of them never seen in any DSLR camera before). You should again take a look at that patent: double simultaneus focus system. I “suspect” this will be one of the new features inside the E-5.
It is also very likely that the camera will be able to record high-quality video.

So will there be no new camera between now and Photokina?
According to one new source Olympus could unveil the mid-range camera in June. It should be the A6xx. But that’s still to be confirmed.

What I am almost certain about is that Olympus will announce a new Olympus PEN at Photokina. And I also believe there will be one more MicroFourThirds camera (The famous High-End camera) by the end of the year.

Let’s make a summary:
FT4= Olympus E-5 with double focus system and video at Photokina
FT4= One more PEN at Photokina
FT2= A new mid-range FourThirds camera in June
FT2= A new High-End MFT camera after Photokina (Oktober-November)

Reminder: (FT=FourThirds)
FT4= Rumor from good known sources which have been often right in the past
FT2= Rumor from new sources

And what about new lenses? I was told that Olympus is working to deliver the lenses we need. I expect many new MicroFourThirds zooms and primes to be announced at Photokina. I have no news about FourThirds lenses

Possible future new MicroFourThirds lens list:

Panasonic
- 100-300/4.0-5.6 OIS
- Fisheye 8/3.5
- 14/2.5 pancake

and here comes the future Olympus lenses list:
- 40-150
- 70-300
- 12/2.5
- 20/1.7
- 8mm
- 50mm f/2.0
Old 10th May 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Olympus E-5 and new PEN at Photokina

I predict that by Photokina Britain will have a Government, though maybe not for long afterwards.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 10th May 2010

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Start saving you pennies guys!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 11th May 2010

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I predict that there will be further predictions, some of which may well originate from sources which may have predicted previous predictions.

The fact that their previous predictions proved to be only predictions based on other rumours from alternative sources of previously partially substantiated predictions means that there will be a dearth of postings on DPReview.com debating the merits of rumoured predicted features and demands from someone from Olympus to immediately confirm the predicted rumours, otherwise the posters will sell all their gear and switch to another system.

Never mind the E5, I have heard predictors unsubstantiated predictions that its successor may well have features previously never seen before on a DSLR …. and they (FT1 to FT2) predict it may either be the tool from the Swiss Army knives to pick Boy Scouts out of horses hooves, or it could be the predicted emergence of the rumoured six mirror reflex non-live live non-mirror reflective live view system technology …. all based in a camera body of made from aircraft grade Unobtantium .… allegedly
Old 11th May 2010
Rod Souter

But will it have a 'Judge' button to prevent you from taking compositionally inferior shots. (Newer members look for historical posts by 'The Judge')

Rod
Old 11th May 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,160 Times in 2,468 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Souter View Post
But will it have a 'Judge' button to prevent you from taking compositionally inferior shots. (Newer members look for historical posts by 'The Judge')

Rod
A camera with such a feature would have to be completely shock proof to protect it when it is hurled against a brick wall!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 11th May 2010
Administrator

Maybe the new feature never seen before in a DSLR is a film chamber?

Or a high speed multi-directional 3D sensor in the form of a cube that rotates to expose all six surfaces during the course of a single exposure and thus boost the pixel count from 12 to 72mp but retain the same pixel pitch.

That would probably rate about FT-3

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 11th May 2010

Liked 833 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Souter View Post

Rod

Regards. Barr1e
Old 11th May 2010

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts

I'm with ChrisW who obviously understood Yes Minister.
Old 11th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post

Regards. Barr1e
Who IS/WAS the Judge?
I NEED to know if he/she is an imposter. (can't have more than one around here, eh?)

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 11th May 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Who IS/WAS the Judge?
I NEED to know if he/she is an imposter. (can't have more than one around here, eh?)
We never did find out who the self-styled Judge was; they never showed any of their own pictures but had plenty to say about everyone else's. Not that that in itself was a problem, or the fact that many of the comments were highly critical. Rather, it was the disrespectful, pompous and arrogant manner in which those comments were delivered. Little wonder that he/she was soon drummed out of the Brownies....

BTW I wouldn't want anyone reading this to be deterred from posting constructive critisism on the forum, far from it. That form of critisism is often by far the most helpful and valuable. The real problem with the Judge was one of attitude and someone trying to feel self important.

Old 12th May 2010

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
I'm with ChrisW who obviously understood Yes Minister.
FT5

p.s. I am the Judge .... sorry, I meant to say Spartacus
Old 12th May 2010

Liked 62 Times in 33 Posts

No I am Spartacus

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye
Old 12th May 2010
Bear

I'm Brian and my wife's Brian too !
Old 12th May 2010

Oh dear, I have started something now

Signed

A.Judge, WPF