Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd March 2016

Thanked 1,120 Times in 702 Posts
Liked 1,463 Times in 731 Posts
Re: One Down, Two To Go (Political)

With regard to the above post.

A few decades ago, there was a system that allowed for the disabled to partake in employment. The name of the organisation was called Remploy. It served those with varying disabilities in a system that gave people self-esteem and a chance to lead as normal a life as they could manage. Everything that Zuiko / John has said in his post was, I believe, built into the system.

Why something along these lines has not been brought back I am at a loss to understand. Well maybe not. Government mentality these days is overly complicated, suffers from too many spin doctors and tunnel vision.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 23rd March 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
With regard to the above post.

A few decades ago, there was a system that allowed for the disabled to partake in employment. The name of the organisation was called Remploy. It served those with varying disabilities in a system that gave people self-esteem and a chance to lead as normal a life as they could manage. Everything that Zuiko / John has said in his post was, I believe, built into the system.

Why something along these lines has not been brought back I am at a loss to understand. Well maybe not. Government mentality these days is overly complicated, suffers from too many spin doctors and tunnel vision.
Remploy was indeed a marvellous organisation, providing employment for many disabled people. However, it was not profit making and required government subsidy, so it was axed. Whether it was cost effective compared to putting those workers back on benefits I don't know.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd March 2016

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

remploy still exists actually.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cerebus For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (23rd March 2016)
Old 23rd March 2016

Liked 3,243 Times in 1,749 Posts

Whatever the reasons for IDS' actions, he saved us from another week of American election crap. The nation should be grateful.

Harold
Zuiko (23rd March 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (23rd March 2016), Naughty Nigel (23rd March 2016), Simon Bee (23rd March 2016), Zuiko (23rd March 2016)
Old 23rd March 2016

Liked 296 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Whatever the reasons for IDS' actions, he saved us from another week of American election crap. The nation should be grateful.

Harold
Brilliant
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (23rd March 2016)
Old 23rd March 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebus View Post
remploy still exists actually.
Thank you, I will check that out.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd March 2016

Liked 2,313 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
As I understand it, some excess payments have been made to some disabled. These include one-off payments e.g. for installing a handrail, which have been paid repeatedly, and those for special needs where the individual does not have those needs.

Where it has all gone wrong is that these should have been rectified during the normal function of managing payments. It is nothing to do with the budget and its inclusion was an error under any circumstances and crass to include in a way which could apparently suggest that it was a source of funds to allow higher earners to pay less tax.

The Chancellor seems to have included it in his efforts to show how clever he was. He did that extremely well.

Harold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
As I understand it, Disability Living Allowance (DLA) has ben replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for all new applicants and existing claimants are gradually being migrated to the new benefit. The criteria to qualify for PIP is much tougher than for DLA and many existing claimants are failing to qualify. This is an ongoing process that has been happening for several years and will continue until all existing claimants of DLA have been reassessed for PIP. This will not be affected by the apparent U-turn over the £4.4 billion cuts announced in the Budget, which were planned to reduce the amount paid to those who still qualified.

I suspect that most of those commenting on this debacle don't fully understand the issues, and are making more general political points.

The concept of taking much needed benefits away from genuinely disabled people is one that I abhor, but I don't know if this is really the case?

My understanding at present (based on a BBC report) is that many 'disabled' people receive benefits in the from of DLA or PIP but do not actually need these benefits.

Examples were given of several disabled people who needed specific mobility aids or adjustments to their homes in order to lead an otherwise 'normal' life. These adjustments included hand-rails and other one-off fitments that were provided by the government. Once these were fitted there was no further cost to the individual, yet they continued to receive significant sums in the form of DLA or PIP. It was these payments that George Osborne proposed should be stopped.

Clearly, stopping any benefit is an emotive issue, especially where disabled people are concerned.

This is a serious matter that goes far beyond politician bashing, so if anybody here knows what this is really about I would be very interested to hear.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd March 2016

Liked 265 Times in 132 Posts

I've stopped watching Question Time, I have a greater supply of bricks than TVs. A few years ago, a Labour MP defended the party's immigration policy praising the tolerance of the British people and our ability to integrate newcomers and to function as a multicultural society. So far so good but the country cited as a good example of where people of various faiths live and work together was .............

Syria.

Ignorance that beggars belief, society in that country had deep fault lines long before the current unrest. Idiots, buffoons and self-servers that do not know the difference between was is wrong (as in I have done nothing wrong) and straying into illegality. I heard one Tory politician defend Malcom Rifkind by saying all he had done wrong was to have been influenced by a pretty face. For someone who had access to the country's intelligence secrets, I'd say that was indefensible.

Just going off to shout some expletives.

David
Wee man (23rd March 2016)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (23rd March 2016)
Old 23rd March 2016

Liked 3,243 Times in 1,749 Posts

Just to give a historical example. Some 20 years or so ago, an adult male neighbour was assessed as unfit to work because he had flat feet. That was clearly nonsense.

Harold
Old 23rd March 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
I've stopped watching Question Time, I have a greater supply of bricks than TVs. A few years ago, a Labour MP defended the party's immigration policy praising the tolerance of the British people and our ability to integrate newcomers and to function as a multicultural society. So far so good but the country cited as a good example of where people of various faiths live and work together was .............

Syria.

Ignorance that beggars belief, society in that country had deep fault lines long before the current unrest. Idiots, buffoons and self-servers that do not know the difference between was is wrong (as in I have done nothing wrong) and straying into illegality. I heard one Tory politician defend Malcom Rifkind by saying all he had done wrong was to have been influenced by a pretty face. For someone who had access to the country's intelligence secrets, I'd say that was indefensible.

Just going off to shout some expletives.

David

I suspect that if Donald Trump makes it to the Whitehouse our discussions here will be the least of our worries!

Come to that, Hilary Clinton doesn't look a much better alternative.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd March 2016

Liked 1,730 Times in 644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I suspect that if Donald Trump makes it to the Whitehouse our discussions here will be the least of our worries!

Come to that, Hilary Clinton doesn't look a much better alternative.
I think the best answer to this is a post I saw on Facebook:

"Dear America, you think you're having an election, the rest of the world is seeing it as an IQ test - you're not looking good"

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following User Says Thank You to Walti For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (23rd March 2016)
Naughty Nigel (23rd March 2016), Simon Bee (23rd March 2016)
Old 23rd March 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Poll finds 41% of likely Trump voters want to bomb Agrabah — the fictional city from ‘Aladdin’

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2470693

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (23rd March 2016), Simon Bee (23rd March 2016)
Imageryone (24th March 2016), Ralph Harwood (23rd March 2016), Simon Bee (23rd March 2016)
Old 23rd March 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Poll finds 41% of likely Trump voters want to bomb Agrabah — the fictional city from ‘Aladdin’

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2470693
One thing is for sure - they don't have a clue where in the world their armed forces are bombing, but then that hasn't changed much in 70 years

Not so long ago I had reason to call an American company for technical support. (To be fair, they still do phone calls, which few companies here will allow nowadays.)

Anyhow, the 'Agent' asked for my address, and then asked: "Durr-ham, is that in You-rope?"

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd March 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

You will need the new 300mm just to see across the credibility gap...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35884080

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 23rd March 2016

Liked 296 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
Ah but remember the last government!
Exactly