Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 6th December 2008
grumpy69

Not to happy with these, Help

I have been wanting to take a shot of this house in the trees so out I went with my 520 14-54 Iso 100 but I am a little disapointed also I put my 70-300 on while I was out it was -1 but it would not take a shot any reason why ??

Old 6th December 2008

Liked 85 Times in 36 Posts
Re: Not to happy with these, Help

It is a rather difficult subject with the dark house and trees against a very light sky. I think the trees look a bit blurred in the third shot; was there a bit of a breeze to move them and were you shooting hand-held or using a tripod? At that time of day, even though the sky looks bright there is not much light around and it might have been better to raise the ISO to about 400 for a faster shutter speed and less chance of camera shake.

What effect were you aiming for when you went out to take the shots? It is difficult to get any detail in strongly back-lit subjects like this without completely blowing the sky so a silhouette with a good sky is a safer bet without going for multiple exposure bracketing and complicated HDR work in the computer. The first shot has achieved the silhouette but I feel the composition is too tight and doesn't put the subject in context. In the third shot the sky looks over-exposed but you have some detail in the house. I think your second shot works the best in this regard; there is colour in the sky and I like the composition

I don't know for sure what the problem might have been with the 70-300 but here are some suggestions. Cold weather can affect batteries so was there a good charge in the E-520 battery? It is possible that there was some dirt on the electrical contacts between lens and body. One symptom of this is the camera doesn't get aperture information from the lens so the aperture shown in the viewfinder (and on the top plate display of E-1s & E-3s) is F-.- rather than, say, F5.6. Was the lens attempting to get focus and failing? The 70-300 is not a particularly bright lens in contrast to the 14-54 so the camera's autofocus may have been struggling in the poor light.

I hope you are able to get back to this location and get the shots you hoped for. As I said, I think the second shot is rather good

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 6th December 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Take the sky from the first shot and stick it on the third one and I think it would look great.

But if you are after perfection and a nicely exposed forground and sky then I agree with what John GG has said. The light does look very low so if shooting @ ISO100 then tripod is a deffinate, if not then up it to 400.

As for the 70-300 not focusing, it could simply be not enough light reaching the sensors, so the lens/camera cannnot get an accurate focus and like all AF cameras, if the camera does not see it in focus it wont let you take the image.

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 6th December 2008

Liked 1,299 Times in 499 Posts

I did a little experiment. Starting with the second picture, I simply adjusted the black point in "Levels" to clip the house and foreground to black, thus creating a true silhouette and (at least to my eyes) it is transformed to a real cracking shot..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 6th December 2008
gno

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
I did a little experiment. Starting with the second picture, I simply adjusted the black point in "Levels" to clip the house and foreground to black, thus creating a true silhouette and (at least to my eyes) it is transformed to a real cracking shot..

Pete
Perhaps Grumpy would allow you to post the black point level adjusted versions.

Regards

Gavin
Old 6th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't see the EXIF on these pictures, but I wonder what aperture you were using? If you needed to use a long exposure it could have made the sky even worse.

I'm hopeless at these sort of late-in-the-day shots, so I think you've done well. I particularly like the colours in the last one.

Quote:
I put my 70-300 on while I was out it was -1 but it would not take a shot any reason why ??
There might not have been enough light to give an area of contrast on the building for it to focus on. Would it be worth trying manual focusing when you're there again?

And come on Pete! Let's see the evidence!
Old 7th December 2008
grumpy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post

Pete
Great pete, if you could post what you have come up with I would be very interested
Old 7th December 2008
grumpy69

Thank you all for you help, Yes I did use a tripod also I tried auto setting but with the 70-300 no go, my shutter speed was F22, I think a Iso of 400 would help but would I not get noise ?? I will go out and try again. Thanks for you help to all you guys. I love this site you don't make me feel hopeless like one of the other sites
Old 7th December 2008

Liked 1,299 Times in 499 Posts

OK, here is my reworked image.

As you can see this involved deliberately clipping the dark areas to black. However I do like to see some black in a picture anyway :-)

What do you think? I think its really good

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 7th December 2008
grumpy69

Thanks Pete, yes I do like it aswell I think I need to go back out and have another go, what I am really wanting from this shot ie a full moon shining through the trees. Thanks for doing that well done